Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is The Ring or Ringu?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Deathmonk7 wrote:Quote:the movie ring scared the hell out of me.
a good site about this is www.whatscaresme.com
There's another post, somewhere in C's Corner about a movie called ring--and I've seen posts 2 this effect on other sites: ring is a Japanese movie about death-by-Internet. The recent commercials I've seen r about a movie called The Ring w/English speaking actors that my friends have described as death-by-videotape. So now, u c, I'm all confused!

So what r these movies? 2 seperate movies? Is the english movie a totally different movie or is it a remake of ring? What is going on?

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/6/03 4:09 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: What is The Ring or ring?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:48 am 
Pilot

It's a remake of the Japanese movie with a twist. I can't explain what The Ring actually is cause it would ruin the movie for you. I didn't think it was scary at all. It has a very very well played out plot. Thought out movie, it was good. I'd catch it if you can. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:47 am 
Master Pilot

Yes I did c, just now on another site, that it is supposed 2 b a remake--they say ring is supposed 2 b better and scarier..I might check out The Ring anyway, doesn't it have some famous actress in it?...when r u going 2 fix ur av Fid?
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:09 pm 
Pilot

Well the original is a Japanese movie, so being more "scarier and better" is not much of a challenge. I have not seen the original. The movie The Ring though was quite good. But not scary.
What's wrong with my avatar? Everything is works fine for me. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:22 pm 
Pilot

Ah, I fixed all of the above. Ezboard does not allow html in bios unless you pay for it. I'm started to hate them.....
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:43 pm 
Master Pilot

cool! much better!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:01 pm 
Master Pilot

So what in the hell is The Ring about?? Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

Post subject: Ring
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:12 pm 
Pilot

"Ring" (the original Japanese movie) is about a cursed videotape - allegedly, anyone who watches it dies within 7 days (hardly a spoiler - that much is obvious within about 30 seconds of the original). It follows a reporter as she tries to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding the tape.

While not exactly jump-out-of-your-chair scary, it is atmospheric, eerie and creepy. From what I have heard, the US remake stays as close as possible to the original. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Ring
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Aha! Thing r clearer! Much Welcome M-Gfriend! Thanks 4 signing up here--Folks, our presence is graced by a most veteran and eloquent KW poster of all time! (stop by the Master Pilot's bar and there's many more where that came from! )
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:01 am 
Master Pilot

A Friend of mine saw the original Japanese movie .. 'The Ring' and it sounds way scarier than the hollywood version imo ..

but I havent seen the Japanese original .. though the new version is pretty much a copy entirely .. even the opening scenes were apparently idenitcal .. the scene with the 2 girls .. etc..

I saw The Ring a couple of weeks ago .. and it was good!! Very suspenseful but not .. that scary imo ..

It was very well done .. though I didnt think the plot ended well .. there seemed to be some inconsistency in the premise imo ..

When you have all seen it .. maybe we can discuss it and see what you all think ..

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:38 am 
Master Pilot

anyone out there??? health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Re: the ring
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

Isn't this coming out on video/dvd soon? A lot of people have told me its pretty good, I think I'll probably watch it. The thing is, I'm not one who likes buckets of blood (except for the bar of that name up in Hell, which is sort of a cool place) -- but I digress, I don't like buckets of blood in movies (AKA teen slasher flicks). So can someone tell me if this movie is like that?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:18 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm going 2 rent I 2day...might b back w/a little take on it... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: the ring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:35 pm 
Master Pilot

I have seen the full Japanese 'Ringu' trilogy (Ringu, Ringu 2, Ringu 0: Baasudei, aka Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0: Birthday), and they are great films. They are based on a Japanese horror book series - Ring, Rasen (spiral), and Loop (there is also a book with four short-stories that fills in some gaps).

The movies 'Ringu' and 'Rasen' were made and released at the same time, following the book plots, but they had different directors and a different cast - Ringu was a huge success in Japan, and the final scene is infamous, but Rasen was a big flop - bad acting, bad directing, and although it sold tickets due to the popularity of Ringu, it was crap.
Because of the failure of Rasen, Ringu 2 was made - with the same director and cast as Ringu, but with a totally original story. After that, Ringu 0 was made, different director this time, but the story was based on the books again - this one was based on one of the short stories 'Lemonheart'.

The story is about the videotape mainly, in the films (there is an Urban Legend surrounding it which sparks off the story), but in truth the story is about a girl - Yamamura Sadako - with some powerful psychic abilities.

'The Ring' is a totally original story based on the original movie. It's totally americanised, with the american's idea of horror - yes,it's still scary, but it loses the silence and atmosphere of the original.

As for blood, there isn't much in Ringu, but I can't really vouch for The Ring.

I'm currently searching for english copies of the books, any ideas where I can find them in the UK?

Here's a little bit of fun - on some versions of the ringu DVD, you can watch the Japanese cursed video - and when it ends, the DVD freezes, a phone rings, and it shuts down, hehehe.

Damn - I've been trying to find a link to the video of Sadako crawling out of the well (final scene in Ringu) - thats why i keep coming back and adding stuff to this post - but I can't find it. Oh Well. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:08 pm 
Master Pilot

I did c the Ring the other day--the kid reminded me of The 6th Sense--I tought it was very tastefully done (in the beginning I thought it was just going 2 b another teen slasher) very artful--sacred me 4 days. But Mothman bothered me more! Now I need 2 watch Ringu, apparently...very cool post Murrin! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>