Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Necroscope
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:06 pm 
Pilot

Hey all;
Tired of all the club names so I went Global. Innsmouth Lady is no more but if you'd like to chat, well my name is Lady Ice
Was just wondering if anyone reads the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley?
Lady Ice <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Necroscope
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:46 am 
Pilot

Yes I have. I like Lumley, good writer. House of Doors is my favorite by him followed by Demogorgan.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:37 pm 
Pilot

Hello;
Well I'm partial to the Necroscope series myself. The ending of Avengers left me thinking the battle would continue on into the future. With of course more books to follow.LOL. Have you read The Whisperer & Other Voices or A Coven of Vampires ? He had another short series about a Conan type warrior but the titles escape me at the moment. I think it's all the blood and gore of the Necroscope series that grab's me. These vamps don't disappear neatly in a cloud of dust.
Lady Ice <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:14 pm 
Pilot

I don't recall reading the above mentioned but I'd have to see the cover of the book to remember correctly. I'm kinda burnt out on vampire books so it has probably been 2 years since I picked up one of his books. I only own House of Doors and Demogorgon, the others I probably nabbed at the library. This has made me want to read his again! I will have to do that in the near future!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:26 am 
Pilot

Sure - I've read all the Necroscope books, and I've just re-read the pshycomech (sp) books (which arn't great but you can see the potential)
I love the early books, but got just a bit jaded as the story continued (still bought them all in Hardback so you could say I'm a fan)
I was visiting the Lumly 'official site' but I was well pissed off with the snobs who run it, and I think you actually have to pay now to be a member.
Darcy Clarke was always my favorite human character in the books - can you remember if/how he died? <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:13 pm 
Pilot

Hello;
Sorry for the delay. Just read your post and had to do some digging. If you have the series it's in Necroscope 5 Deadspawn. Geoffrey Paxton kills Darcy Clarke. It's about halfway through the book. Darcy comes into Trasks office and when they confront him about not thinking clearly because of Mind Smog he get's ticked and quit's E-Branch. At least he trys to but when he goes to hand in his empty gun, slimeball Paxton shoots him. Then Paxton has a fit because they, Trask and the others are around Clarke and in his blood and he, Slimeball, thinks they will all become Vampires because Darcy's blood has now contaminated them. They incinerate Clarke's body. Was that what you were wondering? I wish they would come out with a Companion book for the series. Lord knows publishers and authors produce Companion books for some of the most trivial series but a good one. Nope. Nada. Anyway hope that helps you out. Start at page 280, Chapter 2: Finding Johnny OK?
Later; Lady <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:40 pm 
Pilot

Thanks Lady
That helps, I will read that chapter again tonight. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:15 am 
Pilot

So I had to start back at the beginning, once I had picked up Deadspawn I was taken with the urge to wrap myself up in the whole Necroscope saga again. I've just finished the first one, I don't read as quickly as I used to, gone are the days when I could spend whole days laying on the sofa reading, (not even stopping to eat or drink.)
These books are a great read, and I'm looking forward to the next 4, but I think I'll stop there, I've no real wish to revisit the Blood Wars, the Vampire Worlds and the Avengers etc, and that other one I forget the name of, with the Vampire in Scotland (was it the Lost years?)
It's the combination of original ideas and gripping narrative and descriptions, that I love so much, nobody writes about Blood the way BL does. <i></i>