[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - C. S. Lewis

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 am 
Lady Scryer

originally started by Danlo:
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 23:45 Post subject: C. S. Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever read Out of the Silent Planet? Or Chronicles of Narnia? Ever read any other of Lewis' work? Kno anything about his life? Wasn't here a movie w/Hopkins as Lewis? On another thread we've all begun chatting about Narnia-so I figured it was high time this enchanting writer and friend of John Tolkien got his own thread! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing.

BerenCAMLOST7
Master Pilot

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 11:11 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lewis and Tolkien hooked up in Oxford. They read each other their new works. I think Lewis is not on a par with JRRT, but as childrens stories go Narina is hard to beat.

Danlo - did you realise when you first read Narnai that there was a massive Christain allegory going on ? I got a New Rose I got it goodYes I knew that I always would

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 11:33 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Shadowlands is the movie where Sir Anthony Hopkins played Lewis, and yes I did--like I said on the other thread The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my fav Narnia book--but it's really hard 2 beat The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/30/02 9:33:58 pm

Fiduciary of the Wood
Pilot

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 20:45 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

I've read Narnia, Mere Chrisianity and The Screwtape Letters.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 23:36 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

I heard alot about The Screwtape Letters and have wanted, all my life, to read it! Is it worth it Fid? What can u tell me? The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing.

Fiduciary of the Wood
Pilot

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 07:57 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

It is very interesting! What it is about is a demon trying to "win over" a man and the demon is writing letters to his uncle about his progress and to get advice, etc. And the uncle writes back telling him how bad he is doing and what he needs to do, why he needs to do it and what the reasons are. It is a very interesing perspective, demon to demon conversation about trying to get a man away from God.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 08:08 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Wow! Cool! I'm intrigued!!!Thanks!! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing.

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 01 Aug 2002 23:54 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

mmm also intrigued .. I love the Chrons of Narnia .. thats regualtion literature for any child .. and even older .. I read LW&tW to my kids recently .. they didnt want to stop and we read the whole book at one sitting .. stopping only for snacks .. we finished at about 9.30pm .. and they loved it!!

even my youngest boy who I thought didnt possess the attention span long enough to listen to the whole book .. but yes siree .. he did ..

amazing what you learn about your kids ..

I never realised that Lewis wrote sci-fi till I read some other posts about Lewis and came across a sci-fi of his in a recycle book store .. a fav hangout ..

JRRT didnt just read his pages to Lewis but Lewis mentored his progress .. was his mentor .. and supplied him with the requisite encouragement that all authors from time to time need .. when embarking on such immense projects as the likes of Tolkiens .. health and healing

mhoram6901
Pilot

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 08:15 Post subject: Narnia

Ah, Narnia, what a place that is...... Cair Paravel.... Reepicheep, those books are so much lighter then your average fantasy...if you know what I mean!

BerenCAMLOST7
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Sep 2002 15:59 Post subject: Narnia on TV

Has anyone seen any of the BBC TV Narnia series ?

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Sep 2002 16:21 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

No, but I own the BBC movies. further up and further in

diamondraught
Master Pilot

Posted: 14 Sep 2002 23:00 Post subject: Re: Narnia

huh?

BerenCAMLOST7
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Sep 2002 07:06 Post subject: Re: Narnia on TV

On TV they were originally a series (one a week), when sent to Video they became Movies. Wonderful stuff It thought. Narika nBari nAdun yanakhim

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Sep 2002 08:48 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Yes, they were pretty good, and acurrate. further up and further in

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Sep 2002 20:55 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

I saw them in their TV series form .. but not all .. just the crumbs from the table that made there way over here! But I tell you if you want to serialise a beloved book .. the BBC is who you want to do it!! they always maintain the integrity of the story .. They did a fab Hornblower and a lot of Austin classics! fab stuff!! health and healing

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 am 
Lady Scryer

started by Danlo:
Posted: 09 Oct 2002 08:48 Post subject: What's this book about?I

I was browsing thru Fantasy Finders's Top 100 and this book popped out @ me: C.S. Lewis: Till We Have Faces. Do u guys kno anything, at all, about it? Very cool title, btw...
The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Oct 2002 14:00 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

I saw that too, Danlo. No, I dont know what it is...its not part of the Space Trilogy though. Further up, and further in!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Oct 2002 15:03 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Been ages since I read Narnia, but someone just gave me a copy of Prince Caspian so I might be able 2 pop in2 the discussions more often. All I remember from LW&W is Turkish Delight and Aslan--after 34 years it's ruff--but I restart soon! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Oct 2002 18:00 Post subject: Re: What's this book about?I

Glad to have you aboard Danlo!

I copied this from a site...sorry forgot the addresss
C.S. Lewis' TILL WE HAVE FACES is a reinterpretation of the love stroy of Cupid and Psyche, in which
he has treated the myth as freely as Shakespeare treated Holinshed. The central character becomes an
ugly, jealously loving sister of Psyche named Orual. There are suggestions of a moral lesson about the
values of reason and instinct. In the person of Orual's Greek friend, the Fox, Mr. Lewis makes a statement
of the rational point of view. In Orual's conversion from the Grecian view to the acceptance of the miracle
lies the moral point that Mr. Lewis wisely does not press home too strongly in this beautifully told tale.

Whoa! Sounds cool, have to finish the Space Trilogy damn it. Further up, and further in!Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 10/9/02 5:36:49 pm

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 02:33 Post subject: C. S. Lewis

If you're not already familiar with them, you might enjoy looking up the "Inklings", the group of friends that included Lewis, Tolkien, Williams, and a few others. When these guys met at their favorite pub to discuss their lastest works and other stuff, the collective brain power in that one room must have been staggering.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 08:30 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Greetings nindiri b welcome here! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 11:19 Post subject: Thanks for the welcome

Glad to be here.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 14:03 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Hey! Always good to have new members! Further up, and further in!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 20:58 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Here's a link 2 the Inklings and the Mythopoeic Society that Lewis and Tolkien fan's might find useful:www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/BirdnBab.html The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/16/02 6:59:53 pm

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 16:03 Post subject: Re: Thanks for the welcome

Interesting...this group appears to be a forum...w/out the computer!

Danlo, hows the CoN coming? I heard you were re-reading them. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 18:38 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

I'm trying 2 read Prince Caspian and Sign of the Unicorn (4 the Zelazny forum) but Beren has done something horrible 2 me! There's some sort of evil drug that G. R. R. Martin puts in his books that makes the print on any other book read: read the next A Song of Ice and Fire book! So I have bcome insanely addicted 2 ASOIAF and am engrossed in A Clash of Kings but I swear I'll find time 2 read Caspian. The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Oct 2002 09:59 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Prince Caspians a pretty good book, not my fav though. The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 Jan 2003 17:35 Post subject: Re: What's this book about?I

I just picked up Till We Have Faces. I might not get to it for awhile, must finish Neverness and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn first, but will let you guys know about it when I read it. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 11:09 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

Cool! Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 12:23 Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis

there's a bunch of people over at ASOIAF who say it's the best thing Lewis ever wrote... Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

21 Mar 2003 12:47 Post subject: Re: What's this book about?I

I'm nearly done with Till We Have Faces, and it is a very good read!!! I am enjoying it greatly! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Mhoram:

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 20:13 Post subject: Clive Staples Lewis

Here we can celebrate the great works of C.S Lewis, the Screwtape Letters, Chronicles of Narnia,the Space Trilogy, etc. Enjoy! further up and further in<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 12/22/02 11:19:44 am
</i>

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Sep 2002 20:56 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Fenstering Through Lewis the Hangars Newest F

not forgetting the science fiction works of Lewis also .. I have never read any of his sci-fi but I have heard great things about them!!

so much to read .. so little time to read it all in .. health and healing

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 13:55 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Fenstering Through Lewis the Hangars Newest F

I feel the same way! Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 14:01 Post subject: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

C.S Lewis was a genius among geniuses. The devoted Christian was basically a theologian. He wrote Mere Christianity, the Abolition of Man, the Great Divorce, and many other theologies about Christianity. The Screwtape Letters is Lewis' vision of the Devil, who is trying to steal a man's soul. The Space Trilogy was his only Sci/fi epic, but like his other works, had religious metaphors mixed in. Possibly his most famous work, the Chronicles of Narnia, was a fantasy series consisting of 7 books about a land called Narnia, this series also has a religious theme to it. This forum is devoted to him and all of his works! Your affectionate uncle, ScrewtapeEdited by: mhoram6910 at: 9/19/02 5:02:01 pm

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 22:02 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

I love the chrons of Narnia .. I always have .. but I dont think from what I have heard so far that I care for Lewis world view .. nor his theological views. Maybe you could enlighten us more re: his view point .. I may well have jumped to conclusions regarding Lewis since the Muslim analogy drawn in the other thread. health and healing

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 20 Sep 2002 19:27 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

Not trying to get off the subject or anything...but this place looks great!! Im so glad Danlo could take my pictures and troansform them into this forum! Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 02:15 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

mmm ... yes this place does look great!!

you have done a good job HLM and I love the wallpaper health and healing

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 14:07 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

Why thank you, Sky! The banner needs to be "recolored" but other then that, Lewis seems to be a very popular forum here! Further up, and further in!

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 28 Sep 2002 09:07 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

This place is looking fine, this entire ezbaord looks great! Further up, and further in!

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Oct 2002 19:43 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

Danlo has enlightened me about another one of Lewis' book, Till We have Faces (C.S. Lewis thread) Further up, and further in!

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 20:18 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

What does fenestering mean? I tried looking it up, but no luck. Thanks.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 20:46 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

See the glossary, Journeymen die...thread in Neverness: Zindell forum The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Oct 2002 18:13 Post subject: Re: C.S Lewis, the man, the writer, and the Christian

I even went to dictionary.com trying to figure out what fenestering meant. Then someone asked the question weve all been thinking... The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Oct 2002 18:51 Post subject: Re: Fenestering Through Lewis:A Celebration of Lewis

Fenestering is the complex mathematical art Pilots use to traverse their Lightships through the multitude of space/time layers in the Manifold. The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 10 Nov 2002 00:51 Post subject: Re: Fenestering Through Lewis:A Celebration of Lewis

Zindell made it up!! .. its not a 'real' word .. .. its a make believe word .. that has been reified by Zindell fans everywhere ..

authourship's licence .. health and healingEdited by: danlo60 at: 12/3/03 8:27 am

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 am 
Lady Scryer

started by danlo:
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 01:19 Post subject: Re: Fenestering Through Lewis:A Celebration of Lewis

RIGHT ON!!!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/3/03 8:27 am

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Nov 2002 22:28 Post subject: Re: Fenestering Through Lewis:A Celebration of Lewis

lol health and healing

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 pm 
The UnTitled

I've read a few of his, most notably the Cosmic Trilogy that starts with Out of the Silent Planet, which I loved, although it's a bit dated now. I've got Screwtape and a couple of others somewhere...in storage I think. But I've never bothered to more than skim them.

--A

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:11 pm 
Master Pilot

You know, I have it on my bookshelf, but I can't remember if I read it.