Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What's the Deal with Pantheon?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, as so many people seem to be involved with it, and seem to hugely enjoy it...(actually, they seem to be genuinely addicted. :wink: )

What is this Pantheon game and what is it all about? If you play it what do you enjoy most about it? Like least about it?

(Note, I am asking from curiosity, and have no intention of being converted. :wink: It sounds like playing it takes a lot of thought and time, and I do not have enough of either to take on a huge... thing like this. :wink: )

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Post subject: Re: What's the Deal with Pantheon?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:09 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Duchess of Malfi wrote:
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, as so many people seem to be involved with it, and seem to hugely enjoy it...(actually, they seem to be genuinely addicted. :wink: )

I am genuinely addicted, have been since before I ever joined the Game as I lurked on it since the planning stages and helped Fist's characters behind the scenes the whole time.

Duchess of Malfi wrote:
What is this Pantheon game and what is it all about?

It's interesting that you put this here in the Fravashi District, as I had originally suggested Pantheon be played in the Close instead of in Mallory's on the Watch. Hmm...perhaps that helped get Av involved. ;)

Patheon is a text driven role playing game (RPG). The concept was proposed and developed by Xar. He is the Game Master of it, known in this Game as the AllFather. The concept is that each player creates and plays a deity who has followers on a fantasy-like planet called Eiran. You have to recruit a prophet, proselytize to potential followers, found cities (or in my deity's case weyrs, since her primary race of followers is dragons), defend your lands from either fellow deities or their misled followers, build a clergy if your religion requires that, etc.

We are finishing up the second version of the Game. I didn't join until mid-way through this second Game, so I still am pretty much a novice, even though I lurked and helped Fist's characters from the start. In both versions on the Game, I would say there wasn't really a goal of winning. The point was to be the most successful and strongest.

Duchess of Malfi wrote:
If you play it what do you enjoy most about it? Like least about it?

For me, the interaction between players, and Xar's writing of the Turn results and Game Summary is what I enjoy most. One of Xar's results to Bhakti (Fist's character) just took my breath away before I started playing, and made me want to become more involved. I still wasn't ready to attempt playing, so Fist and Av helped me gain access to other behind the scene interaction. I think after that it was only a couple of weeks, and I jumped in.

We are preparing to launch the third version of the Game, and we have several experienced RPG players joining us for the first time. I think they think the goal is to win, by eliminating the other deities. So I think the feel of the Game is going to change drastically, not to mention that the rules have evolved each time to become more and more complex. So we'll see how the new version plays.

Duchess of Malfi wrote:
(Note, I am asking from curiosity, and have no intention of being converted. :wink: It sounds like playing it takes a lot of thought and time, and I do not have enough of either to take on a huge... thing like this. :wink: )

Currently, there is one more space available, should you decide to join us. But, the Game, as Xar put it to me once in a teasing manner as he saw how addicted I became after lurking for over a year, is viral. The Game is extremely popular. The Graven Threndor sub-forum was created for it, and it's success has so far spawned three other RPGs on the Watch. Graven Threndor was just made into its own full forum, with sub-forums for each game.

You can play without devoting a huge amount of time to it. And if you are good at making decisions on how to react to situations, it shouldn't take all that much time. I, on the other hand, love agonising over things, and I thrive on deciding how I want my next move to go.

Duchess, if you should decide to come play, I would love to see you. And...think Sunrise Court, not Sunset!! ;)

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Menolly wrote:
You can play without devoting a huge amount of time to it. And if you are good at making decisions on how to react to situations, it shouldn't take all that much time.

LOL! :avatar: There are many good reasons why Danlo has told me that I am Linden Avery. And making decisions quickly in regards to situations is not a strength of Linden's...or mine. :wink: We are brooders, both of us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, My husband and I have a serious but informal agreement that in order to make more time for each other and strenghten our relationship that:
1. he will not do any fantasy sports leagues
2. I will not get addicted to online games or the like

So no Pantheon for me. I was indeed primarily curious as to what was so addicting and fun about it. :)

Sounds like it is the interaction between the players makes for a lot of fun? :) 8)

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:00 am 

Duchess of Malfi wrote:
Sounds like it is the interaction between the players makes for a lot of fun? :) 8)

That's what it is for me. Hopefully Fist or Av will give their opinions to you as well.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 am 
The UnTitled

I tend to treat it like a political strategy game. I enjoy the interaction, but I enjoy the freedom of it the most. Anything you can think of could be done.

There's no set moves where you only have a certain number to choose from. You can do anything.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 am 

*nod*

This is true, but since it's the only RPG I've played, that didn't occur to me. However, I did look over Montressor's rules for Borderlands, and I think I understand what you mean. I like being able to tell Xar stories for my moves, and he never criticises my writing, unlike others.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Menolly wrote:
Currently, there is one more space available, should you decide to join us. But, the Game, as Xar put it to me once in a teasing manner as he saw how addicted I became after lurking for over a year, is viral. The Game is extremely popular. The Graven Threndor sub-forum was created for it, and it's success has so far spawned three other RPGs on the Watch. Graven Threndor was just made into its own full forum, with sub-forums for each game.

Good grief. See, Agent Smith was right: it is a virus that spreads and spreads... :P

(Just teasing, Menolly!)

I'm with Duchess. It's great that people on the Watch have found such a wonderful pastime, but I just have no desire to be sucked into something as apparently addictive as the Pantheon.

And truthfully, the premise of the game itself doesn't grab me. I don't want to play a deity that rules over mortals. If anything, I'd rather play a mortal who overthrows the gods. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:19 pm 

Moonwatcher wrote:
And truthfully, the premise of the game itself doesn't grab me. I don't want to play a deity that rules over mortals. If anything, I'd rather play a mortal who overthrows the gods. :twisted:

:twisted:

I'm with you, MM. When I first started supporting Bhakti, I wanted to join the Game as a High Priestess of his. But my request to do so was turned down.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Moonwatcher wrote:
Menolly wrote:

Good grief. See, Agent Smith was right: it is a virus that spreads and spreads... :P

(Just teasing, Menolly!)

I'm with Duchess. It's great that people on the Watch have found such a wonderful pastime, but I just have no desire to be sucked into something as apparently addictive as the Pantheon.

Now that sounds like a great idea. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Image Image Image
Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:49 am 
The UnTitled

:LOLS:

You could always play a god who overthrows gods. :D

Actually, I suspect, that with only a couple of exceptions, its played by people with god/messiah complexes and / or "delusions of grandeur." And I except neither myself nor Xar from that suspicion.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 am 
Master Pilot

Egad...that sounds like the Belgariad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:53 am 

Uhm Av...I suspect that deity may be taken this time already...

Actually, I suspect, that with only a couple of exceptions, its played by people with god/messiah complexes and / or "delusions of grandeur." And I except neither myself nor Xar from that suspicion.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

really???

...now you got me wondering who the exceptions are...

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:50 pm 
The Timekeeper

And this thread has what do to with philosophy? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:29 pm 

danlo wrote:
And this thread has what do to with philosophy? :P

:avatar:

Actually though, occasionally when a deity attempts to explain their dogma and domain, some interesting things can be said. For example, Fist and Jenn are debating pleasure and pain, and a new deity, The Void, had this to say this morning...

The Void wrote:
The pain and pleasure of mortals and their whimsical imaginative gods is a trivial matter, a mere blemish on the universe and its natural state that is nothing, a peacefully quiet void.

For beings of such apparent might, you sully alot of your time on such pointless endeavors. However it is to be expected from beings whos lives occupy such a short space of time in the eternity that the void hath been. Existence and all the chaos that comes with is a simply temporary state in the greater scheme of the universe. It would do you well to bear this in mind, so you may put your lives to some true use. It is only time before the blemish that is mortals forgets of you and you all be absorbed into the nether, as is the natural state of things. Mortals, despite their pathetically short time wasting space in the nothing, make a good habit of making new gods as they see fit.

But before life there was nothing. Life shall turn to nothing. Nothing is the natural way.

A lesson more valuable than any amount of pain can teach has just been bestowed upon you. Take from it what you will.

Existentialism? That the mortals who worship the Games deities create the meanings and essence of their lives?

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:00 pm 
Master Pilot

The Void? Interesting. But without life, consciousness, intelligence and a means to communicate one's thoughts, it would not be possible to sit/stand/hover there and wax philosophically about things. Clearly, the, um, embodiment of nothingness that calls itself the Void still requires something (energy/soul/mind) in order to, well, distinguish itself from the background blankness of non-existence. :P

That's my cheeky rejoinder. :P

As for messiah complexes, who knows if I have it or not. I certainly enjoy a good "messiah" story as well as anyone else. Dune. The Chronicles. The Matrix. Or even Star Wars for that matter. They all involve messianic figures in one way or another. But's about people, not gods. And of course, Star Trek is all about "the human adventure." Human beings overcoming their weaknesses makes for more compelling drama than the whims of gods.