[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What's the Deal with Pantheon?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:00 am 
Pilot

The idea of the void is that it doesnt exist, and in all ways you are correct

HOWEVER

People have become aware of this state of nothingness, so through their belief the void takes on a form of some kind. like the void said to the other gods, its their belief that makes them what they are.

The void is created by me to actually represent modern times, with religion decreasing to a degree in the way of science. Weather a god actually exists or not is trivial, peoples belief in said god gives it power.

The void as the other gods see it, is the growing attitude of the peoples, that there is no god, no afterlife, and that life is nothing after death.

The only reason why the voice of the void comes into the minds of other gods is because people think of it as something, like many people refer to the vacuum of space as if it is an object when it isnt. These peoples beliefs will rub off onto the gods, so they too will begin to think of the void as something. As such, these thought would grow in their collective minds from a god that through their own belief exists to some extent.

And also, it makes for an interesting story, and at the end of the day, thats why we play the game

but you are right, I prefer peoples stories, and having them have failings and have them overcome obsticles. Thats why i chose not to play your typical kind of god. and if i did, it would have to be evil, as they tend to have more human based emotions. But instead the void was born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:36 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
*grinning*

Welcome to the Hangar, Dorian.

I knew if you knew your anti-deity was being discussed, you couldn't stay away.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:18 pm 
Master Pilot

I thank you for your response, Dorian. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:39 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Pantheon doesn't have much to do with philosophy, per say, though the interaction of various metaphysics is interesting, to say the least. But it does have a whole lot to do with mythology. I've borrowed from Greek and Norse myth extensively with my character, and I'll be going in a decidedly Eastern direction in the next game.

God complex.... maybe. I do have a very refined sense of how things should be, that's for sure.

As for mortals giving rise to the gods, I proposed a similar philosophy to Xar right before AK's mention of it. I plan on using that outlook extensively this time around along with a similarly inverted way of looking at the world of Eiran and its gods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:05 pm 

*waving at Sylvanus*

...gosh...I've missed that avatar...but I like the spiral eye better...

hmm...somehow I knew my mention of this thread on the Watch might bring some others over here... ;)

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:10 pm 
Master Pilot

I guess there was some of that in the creation of Maeror, to some extent. The Lord of Tragedy, brought into the world because it suffered, brought to ease its pain. Then I got more absorbed in the internal story of the character than the way he behaved toward his followers, so the conflicted second incarnation of Maeror came around.

I'm going for something more traditional for P3--a tyrant. The name, titles, and the use of the Assyrian sun disk are hinting at that; and they show the way that my knowledge of ancient cultures is fueling my character creation. The roots of monotheism, the old God of Kings and King of Gods of the mesopotamian cultures--I'm trying to make an interesting spin on it, with that as the starting point. The old ones are the best ones, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Whoosh! That was the sound of these Pantheon posts going way over my head. Hahaha, never get in the way of hardcore Pantheon players! :lol:

It's another reason why I choose not to participate in the game. I'm just too much of a slacker to do the background research in creating one's deity.

Oh, hang on...the God of Slackers! Hmm, I think I mentioned that before in some other thread. Thing is, I imagine that such a god just can't be bothered to pay any attention to his/her worshippers. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Sorry. Can't help myself. :lol:

Research? Bah. I'm too lazy to research. I've been reading up casually on the ancient middle eastern religions for a couple of years now, since I read a book which used The Descent of Inanna (one of the oldest written works yet discovered) as a source. My already-extant interest in that just lent itself quite well to creating a Pantheon character.

The god of slackers, eh? Too lazy to actually do anything, but followers flock to him because they, too, can't be arsed to get any work done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:27 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 pm 
Pilot

Post subject: Re: What's the Deal with Pantheon?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 am 
Pilot

Post subject: Re: What's the Deal with Pantheon?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm 

~Avatar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next