[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - so I just found a free used copy of Magister Ludi...

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: so I just found a free used copy of Magister Ludi...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:03 am 
Lady Scryer

It is one of the most beat up books I have ever encountered that has still managed to stay intact. :? Most of the words on the back cover have been worn off, and the whole book ripples from water damage. But I checked the pages quickly, and they all look both legible and intact. And it is free, so I will not be too picky. :wink:

I know Highdrake talks about this book a lot...

So what is it about? And can he (or anyone) give me a reason to move it up near the top of the Mt. Everest of TBR piles? :lol: :lol:

I do see the quotes in the thread down below, and they are beautiful. :cloud: But they do not tell me what the book is about. :?

I have read Hesse's Sidhartha and loved it; tried Steppenwolf and had to put it down...at the time when I tried to read it, I just did not have the time required to sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it was a deep little book that required concentration. :? I did keep that book, though - I hope to read it someday when I do have time to concentrate and can do it justice. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:49 am 
The UnTitled

You mean The Glass Bead Game? Great book. Tells the story of Ludi Knecht (knecht means serf in German) and how he becomes the Master of the Glass Bead Game, a complex "game" which attempts to reproduce everything in reality as a series of figures and patterns.

It's been too long since I read it to remember many specifics. The players of this game are very highly regarded in his world, spiritual, mystical priest-like figures IIRC.

It's pretty deep too I think. But it's better explained/written than Steppenwolf.

Worth a read for sure.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:03 am 
Master Pilot

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! What a book! :D :D :D :D It's the one that won Hesse the Nobel Prize for Literature. Yeah, it's a lifetime award, but I gather it's generally awarded after a particular book comes out that makes everybody say, "Wow!! S/he's been great all along, and occasionally better than great. But this is amazing!!!"

Magister Ludi means Master of the Game. As Av said, the game attempts to reduce all things to symbols. But it's more than that. A string of symbols might mean 6+7=13, do-fa-re-ti-do, How do I love thee..., the Grand Canyon, and any number of other things - all at once. Depends on which discipline you're interpreting the symbols in. In the Game, you start with whatever, let's say do-fa-re-ti-do, and write it in the Game's symbols. In the next step, maybe you reinterpret those symbols as math, and you change things as you go.

Now don't get the idea that you're going to actually learn about how to play the game. You don't. The book is more about how the Game gives the players their particular philosophical outlook, and how that outlook compares to those of the other people Joseph runs into throughout his life.

I could never say enough about the book. If I read as fast as you do, duchess, I'd reread it every few years. But I'm slooooooooow. (Took me 6 days to read FR, to give you an idea.) It's not light reading, but you will go through it much easier than me.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:46 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 am 
The UnTitled

Haha, I was massively disappointed that you didn't learn how to play the game.

I felt the same way in Bank's Player of Games. Tantalising hints of how it worked...bastard.

:D

(Oh yeah, I'm a fan of freakishly hard strategy games. :D )

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 am 
Master Pilot

Remember Kirk teaching the guards how to play Fizzbin? ROFL! And Hawkeye and BJ were playing Kranko, then Double-Kranko :shock:, in one episode. :lol:

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.