[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Winter Solstice of the year 2012

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC

do you think the world will be ending soon?
yes 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
no 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
undecided, but will buy extra t.p. in 12/12 just in case 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Winter Solstice of the year 2012
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

Supposedly Winter Solstice (December 21) of the year 2012 is when the world will end by floods according to the Mayan calenders and an ancient Mayan prophecy contained in the Dresden Codex.

I have seen at least 3-4 different documentaries about this now on television on channels such as the History channel, the Discovery channel, etc.

That is the date when the Mayan calenders end, and it is also when the Sun becomes aligned with the galactic center AND when something (I cannot remember exactly what) funky is due to happen with the Earth's axis.

Just wondering if anyone here takes that sort of thing seriously enough to stock up on canned goods and toilet paper?

Some of my husband's family has converted to Mormonism and they think that that the Earth will be ending soon, and they have several months' stash of stuff in their house like bottled water and canned soup and toilet paper. But I do not know if that has anything to do with the Mayans, or if it is due to Mormon prophecies of some sort that might be converging on the same general time frame as the Mayan prophecies? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:33 am 
The UnTitled

Not sure what the Mormons think about the apocalypse. :D If they have a timeline I mean.

I voted no. Although, there certainly seems to be a lot of flooding recently. Since I live more than 1,000 meters above sea-level, I'm not too worried. ;)

Anyway, I think it'll take more than that to end the world. Of course, if the axle tips, we're screwed. Personally, I wouldn't really mind. Would like to be around to see it when/if it happens, so 2012 will suit men. ;)

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 am 
The UnTitled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:38 am 
Lady Scryer

I wish Syl would drop by. I seem to remember that he was raised in the LDS faith, so he might be familiar with whatever prophecy my sister in law is prepared for... :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 am 
The Timekeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 am 
The UnTitled

As I've said before, if you don't retain identity in that higher state, you might as well not attain it. ;)

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:02 pm 
The Timekeeper

Sorry the "pink city" is Palenque (I think I still had Fantasy basball and the Tigers 2B man on my mind! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm 
Master Pilot

I voted No.

I try to keep an open mind on most things, but I'm afraid I'm very skeptical about end-of-the-world prophecies, even though I highly respect the Mayans' mathematical knowledge.

I saw a book just recently written by a scientist who examines in detail just such prophecies. I think it was titled Apocalypse 2012. I didn't buy it because it was an expensive hardback, and I don't remember the author's name, but I'm sure this subject would make for a fascinating read anyway. Especially from a scientist's point-of-view. He doesn't appear to be mocking the prophecies...I get the impression he's sitting on the fence himself, weighing the evidence. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

Of course, one of the bad things that would happen if the world were to end in 2012 is that the Last Chrons would never be finished. :evil:

:P

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, why couldn't those pesky Mayans have chosen 2014 instead? :P

I just don't give credence to such prophecies because I equate them to the "boy crying wolf" syndrome. How many times in the past have religious leaders and mystics alike "predicted" an imminent end to the world, and how many times have they been proven wrong? Every single time, since we're obviously still around.

And of course, in times of conflict, it makes it even easier for the doomsayers to spread their word, and for people to believe them.

Really, what with nuclear rogue nations, fundamentalist movements and the possibility of resurgent virulent diseases, it doesn't take much for pundits to proclaim the end is nigh. Sure, the human race might still destroy itself through its own hubris or stupidity or ignorance, but I don't need a prophet to tell me that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:01 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm pretty sure Danlo and I talked about this at the old Hangar before.

If anybody's ever heard of, read, or played Shadowrun, it relies on the same premise. The earth enters a new age (end of the world as we know it) on Dec. 21, 2012. Magic re-enters the world along with other subspecies of humans (elves, orcs, and trolls). Combine that with a healthy dose of cyberpunk... Fun stuff.

I also just finished reading the latest of S. M. Stirling's . Although the change is about 12 years early, I think the basic premise is there. And looking at some of Stirling's other stories, it seems to be a common theme.

As for the Mormons, I'm not entirely sure on it. I know that every good Mormon should have a stocked shelter. We had one - a basement in the garage off the house that I moved into when I was 15. There were shelves full of canned fruit and vegetables, several gallons of water, and so forth. Man, I remember us occasionally getting a few jars out here and there (limited shelf life). Beat the hell out of Del Monte, I tell you. Of course, by the time I moved down there, it had all spoiled (the house was rented out for several years before we moved back in).

This sounds about right.

I dunno, it's certainly a fascinating idea. It probably explains my interest in survivalism, to an extent. But if I had to answer if I believed it in any rational sense, I'd have to say no.

Anyway, this has some good info on the first few hits. And if you have some time to kill and don't mind a little politics, also has some interesting stuff on all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Shadowrun? Egad, not another RPG! :lol: (Sorry, they just aren't my thing.)

But thanks for the links. I'll, um, check 'em out eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:32 pm 
The Timekeeper

Let me restate this, just to be clear-this is proported to be a change of mindset nobody's going to die or lose identity. We are all going to enter a higher state of awareness-it will be easier for some, harder for others...(and by that time OPEC, South Korea, Sudan, Venezuela and China will have finished their plot to destroy the dollar and will be ready to yank the noose :wink: )