Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New sheriff in town :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:43 am 
Master Pilot

Hi folks. I'm the new moderator here. I thought I should make it official, and give this tiny blurb of rules. Nothing major, only what everyone I've met at these sites already does. The only restrictions I intend to have are that everyone be nice. These topics, particularly religious beliefs, are very personal, and can lead to hard feelings even when none are intended. I won't allow posts where someone intentionally insults someone else's beliefs.

Fortunately, I don't remotely anticipate that happening here. Misunderstandings are unavoidable in human communication - more in this medium than some others - and that's the only cause of hard feelings I've ever seen with anyone on these sites.

So keep up the good work everybody, and let's have fun!! Fist and Faith<i></i>

Post subject: Re: New sheriff in town :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:39 pm 
Master Pilot

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard!

Seriously, some of the things I think are so far out there... But I'll be happy to pipe in here and there.

I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:22 am 
Master Pilot

I started to read my post to see what I said that was so stupid.

Anyway, you give a perfect example: "some of the things I think are so far out there..." There's no way to go through life without running into people who believe things that go completely against my beliefs, logic, education... They might feel the same way about me. But the important thing is that you did not say, "Only an idiot would believe some of the crap I've heard." There's a difference between giving reasons for disagreeing with a belief, and attacking the belief. There's a difference between asking someone to defend their belief, and saying that their belief puts their intelligence into question. Fist and Faith<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:07 am 
Master Pilot

Nah, I was just kidding. All my closest and most respected friends have viewpoints strikingly different than mine. Heck, I disagree with Einstein on a lot of things (non-scientific. i could never presume to know enough to disagree with relativity or anything). If they can tolerate my weirdness, I certainly can tolerate them.

One thing I would like to point out, or amplify, is that just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they intend any insult. Like Fist said, saying "that idea is a load of rubbish" is a lot different than saying, "I believe there is a flaw with that line on reasoning."

Ah, and for the record, I'd just like everyone to know that I try to avoid using the word "belief" when it comes to the ideas or insights I hold, but anything I say is strictly my opinion, the way I see it. I make no claims that my perception of truth is any greater than anyone else's, except as it might concern myself only. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

I always try to respect what someone thinks/believes, and their perfectly good right to think it/believe it...but that doesn't mean that I have to believe it or think it, too...

It's Ok to disagree with someone, but not to make someone else feel bad about themselves or their thoughts. there is a line there that I feel shouldn't be crossed...though it can be bit fuzzy from time to time... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:38 pm 
Master Pilot

What do you think of the new background? Granted you can't see the quote at the top of the opening page, but other than that it looks pretty cool. This is my new personal background too... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:45 pm 
Master Pilot

All I see is plain white. *shrug* Probably because I'm using Firefox. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:05 am 
Master Pilot

No that's not it Syl--I was lazy and direct linked...I think the host website had a time cutoff--my homepage is so screwed up I probably can't even upload my personal background, too bad--I'll put it back the way it was... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>