Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Castenada
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Knowing Highdrake is a huge fan of Carlos Castenada, I have a question. Does it bother anyone that ole Carlos most likely made the whole thing up, just pulling it all out of thin air? I'm asking because over on the Manifold Danlo mentions another series dealing with Central American Shamanic traditions, and the author of these claims a famalial tradition for his circumstances. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

Post subject: Look at the Ahimsa thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

,,,some of my opinions will be seen there. (Ahimsa)...relating more to the proposed "way" than to any author. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/22/06 9:55 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Look at the Ahimsa thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:52 am 
The UnTitled

Been a long time since I read don Juan. Dosesn't bother me in the slightest that he might have made it up. Not that I put much credence in anything, you know?

Generally, my approach is to take whatever works best for you from wherever you can find it. And personally, I don't see much difference between fiction and non-fiction. I've found as valuable lessons in fiction as anywhere else.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Eh... No, I'm not a huge fan. I read most of the first book, but that's it. It had some very good moments. But since I don't do any kind of drugs, it was just too difficult to relate to. While I'm more concerned with beauty and wisdom than how it is achieved, I guess I just wasn't finding enough of it to carry me through.

As for the question, I'm not at all concerned with whether or not it was made up. I view most religious material to be made up, after all. heh ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:58 am 
The UnTitled

Yeah, you know, it's a weird thing that always makes me stop for a moment when I realise it...

People who do or have done middling to reasonable amounts of drugs (recreational drugs I mean of course) have such a different perspective in some senses than those who don't.

I'm not sure what it is. But people who are straight are just... I really don't know. but I do know that there is a palpable difference.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>