Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ahimsa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:28 am 
The UnTitled

Haha, as always, I'm a cynic of sorts when it comes to the mystical.

That's not to say that I don't believe that we can reprogramme ourselves, or that much of our actions are based on the programming we happen to have.

I do. I'm a firm believer in it. But I don't presume that I can tell anybody how to do it.

Being of a rather analytical turn of mind, I like to think that I'm fairly aware of my own programming. I can see how it works. Some of it, I can change, some of it, I can't.

I'm not sure why yet. But even what I can't change yet I can recognise as such, and as a result, I like to think I have a pretty clear picture of the motivations that drive me.

Of course, I could be deluding myself too.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:35 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry Av. I'm not really into posting on the net in detail these days. And, I think, you misunderstand the purpose of this book if you think it has some overbearing relationship to Castenda. It's more "self-help" and "self-transformation" than anything else. Drugs and mysticism aren't really involved, so a repeat discussion like the one you and Esmer had on the Watch isn't necessary. When I say the Toltecs are invisible to us I mean that on a generic scale-many live in a state of unconditional love and happiness that most people can't relate to or don't know how to achieve, they enjoy personal freedoms that perhaps keep a different time schedule than the proverbial "rat-race". Of course the searcher is only going to take from this what they need-I, for one, need some strong discipline in my life right now and this appears to be an interesting avenue.

I'm not trying to advocate this way--heck it may even sound like Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra and all the basics of "New-agey" prose, for that matter. In fact the site on the link I'm about to give almost looks like a money making new age tourist trap. I say let them have their money-to me this is very powerful stuff in the sense that it will require a hell of a lot of discipline. I need to focus on self discipline right now for a number of reasons--I'm finding out that writting, for me, requires lots of discipline, so does raising a kid, so does quitting smoking (if I can), and so does-what appears to me-dealing with the probable death of both of my parents within the next 5 months.

If Native Americans really know anything about Teotihuacan they're not going to tell us anything unless we really need to know. If Ruiz's people did build it in order to escape the mimote (fog) of suffering and fear to disappear into the plane of love-it really doesn't matter what we call them. Heck the name of the place itself is a post abandonment Mezo-American construct and the term Toltec is Aztec for mechanic which basically means, "the guys who built that place". Nobody knows who they are-I feel they have a need to begin revealing themselves to us now especially in the last six years of "this world" according to the Mayan and Hopi (and other) calendars.

Anyway, it's just one way among many--I don't know if I blabbed it here on not--but I was in a very "new-agey" phase in the mid 80s--and I don't know where I read it, but some guy--in the midst of all the Creative Visualization and Shirley MacClaine books and seminars--simply suggested to try to go through a day without judging others. So I tried, it was insane-I was blown away and ashamed by my programming-I shut off "think aloud" judgements towards clients and everyone at work and then tried to shut down the inner-voices. After about 3 hours of this I was totally exhausted and went home sick for two days.

I've touched on different disciplines this way-brief forays into different yogas, meditations, tai chi, mineral healing and a little bit of Zen Buddist instruction, but I've never made a super serious effort to achieve discipline. Since, right now, I'm not working and am not subjected to a constant daily onslaught of people I feel I'm in a perfect place to be patient with myself and try this. This will, by no means, be an easy thing to do...

The Four Agreements

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/17/06 10:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 am 
The UnTitled

It certainly isn't easy. It's probably one of the most difficult things of all. And sorry to hear about your parents man...I hope you're wrong. *bows*

Looking at that site, I realise I'm familiar with the book, (or the concept) at a remove anyway...my GF has told me about it. She wants to get the first agreement tattooed around her wrist.

I think I can honestly say that I don't have much problem with any of them. They're pretty much the way I do my best to live my life anyway.

Regardless, the real value of any system is what you can take from it and make work for yourself.

Personally I dislike the concept of "self-help" books. Don't they violate the principle in some way? I'm not sure, but I like to suspect so.

But there is one overriding idea that I cling to...everybody should try everything until they find the things that work for them.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:12 am 
Master Pilot

This sucks!!!! But I'm very positve about life!!! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:57 am 
The UnTitled

It's good to be positive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:13 pm 
Master Pilot

OMG! danlo, I'm so sorry to read this about your parents! Let me know if you're here and need company. I can nearly always be kid-free if there's need.

That part about taking your recommendations seriously was said by pitch a few posts before I quoted it. And I read Peaceful Warrior not long before I started Watching. However, I certainly do take your recommendations seriously. Neverness is one of the greatest things written, imo. I'll definitely look for The Four Agreements. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>