[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Analog to Digital TV conversion

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Analog to Digital TV conversion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm 
Master Pilot

About three weeks ago the high powered VHF band terrestrial TV stations were mandated by Federal regulations to transition from the old analog signal system to a newer digital system; FYI, most UHF stations and low powered stations transitioned, too. This change made many TV sets instantly obsolete (if I've heard correctly only TV receivers made since 2003 or so have digital tuners), and there was no effect if ones TV is hooked into a cable TV system or one is getting their TV through Dish or Direct.

Comments? I for one believe that this transition ill served the public at large, was an unnecessary and craven caving of the FCC to big money media interests.

W/T are forever

Post subject: Re: Analog to Digital TV conversion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't have cable and hardly ever watch TV anyhow. Bought a flat-screen TV in January, back when the big changeover was slated for February.

Anyhow, it took me a week to get around to turning on the TV and re-tuning for the new signals. I'm pretty far out of town. Even tho I bought a pretty good antenna, it looks like I've lost our NBC affiliate, and the other stations pixelate out fairly often. :( But since I hardly ever watch TV, I don't think it's gonna impact my life all that much.

I do like the fact that the local channels now have "sidecar" stations. A couple of them seem to be doing weather satellite images on one channel -- who needs the Weather Channel when you've got local Doppler radar 24/7?

My books:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 am 
Master Pilot

Well, guys, I'm afraid you're looking at a digital TV convert here. A couple of weeks ago, I signed up with my cable company not just for digital, but for high definition TV service. What's funny is that my TV isn't even LCD or plasma: it's a flat screen CRT, an early generation high def-capable unit. It's merely 27" but still, the clarity of high def (1080i) is stunning to my eyes even on such a relatively small screen.

So far I've rarely come across stations turning into a pixelated mess. Maybe that's because a cable connection is more reliable than an antenna? I don't know. When there is a problem, the picture recovers quickly enough. I'm currently following Wimbledon in high def. Also been catching a lot of nature programs - if anything was meant for high def viewing, it's the natural world. But really, everything looks ravishingly good in high def. My HD terminal is also a PVR, so I can record high def programs, too. It has a 160 GB hard drive, which is good for 25 hours of HD programming, according to the manual.

One aspect of my upgraded service I enjoy has nothing to do with picture, but with sound: 24/7 music channels, which is part of the digital TV package, which my HDTV subscription includes. It's like radio but without the annoying disc jockey! :lol: It's nice to come home after work and flip on a music channel. I don't listen to it through my TV, but through my stereo system via optical digital link.

So, maybe I've sold my soul to digital/high definition TV. But I don't feel like my soul's been damned by the price: the total cost is just $25 more than what I was paying for my old analog TV/internet bundle. I was either going to cut off all cable TV and only use my HDTV monitor for Blu-ray viewing, or I was going to go all the way and get HDTV service and "maximize" my TV experience. All in all, I'm happy I chose the latter. (Yes, I know, I sound like a cheesy commercial.)

I don't know about the wider social implications of analog TV being phased out. It would be a shame if people who rely on basic off-the-air analog TV for news and such become completely shut out. I have no answer to that. I can only speak for myself: I'm a technology nut, and I like to be able to use my money to enjoy the fruits of technology.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:56 am 
Lady Scryer

I have satelite, therefore was not affected at all.

However - if my parents were still alive, it would have nuked them. They lived out in the middle of nowhere and had an old TV and a huge antenna...no local cable provider or the like out there, too cheap (grew up in the Great Depression) to ever get a dish. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:04 am 
Master Pilot

I had never delved deeply into this issue, but is this a world wide transition to digital or is it just in North America? I might be wrong, but I imagine most people in poorer countries receive off-the-air transmissions (those that have TVs at all). I guess they'd be left behind by a global move to digital.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:20 am 
The UnTitled

As far as I know, it's worldwide, although I don't know what the timeline is like.

I know that over here, they have already announced that there will be a switch to digital broadcasting, and if you don't have a digital-capable TV, you'll have to buy a digital/analog decoder to plug into your TV. When it's supposed to happen though, I don't know.

--A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:57 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
So far. we have chosen to go without.
We have one of those government issued coupons to get a converter box at a reduced price, but haven't done so yet.
Blockbuster has seen an increase in business from Hyperception and Beorn though... ;)

I'm guessing until the t.v. itself has to be replaced, we'll go without...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've seen those converter boxes at Target and similar stores. They are not particularly cheap for those on a tight budget - as many people are with the terrible economy right now!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:35 pm 
The UnTitled

Great...they'll probably be even worse here. :lol: Will probably replace the TV when the time comes.

--A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:57 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:16 pm 
Master Pilot

This message is OFF TOPIC to my original message. IIRC, rural areas were never the intended audience for the terrestrial TV broadcast system; therefore, the development of the CATV system in the 1960s, and CATV was originally a method of delivering TV coverage to areas not covered by the terrestrial based system. FYI, penetration of CATV into the urban markets is a development of the 1980s.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Exactly right, tarawizard. Cable was originally designed for rural areas where TV signals wouldn't penetrate.

Menolly, even with upgrading your set, you'll have to buy a new antenna. I had to buy one for my new TV. I think it was about 40 bucks? Maybe if I'd gone for the $80 model I'd be able to pull in the NBC affiliate. Ah well. Oh, and double-check your coupon -- they do expire.

I was seriously going to just skip the whole process and watch DVDs on the computer. But then I wanted to watch Obama's inauguration, and I had a giftcard anyhow, so I bought an HDTV/DVD combo machine. The screen's just 19 inches -- I refuse to sell my soul to the devil and get one of those big honkin' screens (sorry, MW :lol:) -- but I agree that the picture quality of HD broadcasts is amazing. When they don't pixelate out....

Duchess, you're right -- if you already had cable or satellite, the switchover was a nonevent.

My books:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

On the other hand, even though it was a nonevent for me, had my parents still been alive, I could see myself having to drive the sixteen hours to hook up a convertor box for them. As I said, no cable available (and even if it had been, they probably would not have been willing to pay for it even though they had about a quarter of a million dollars in cash in the bank), they would not have ever been willing to get a dish (even though they could have very easily afforded one), and they were frightened to death of anything that even appeared to be technological in nature. The change over would not have been a kind event for them. :?

Wonder how many other people would have been in a similar bind as my parents? :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm 
Master Pilot

I woulda been right there with ya if my mother were still alive. Mom never got cable, either. Luckily my brother is an engineer for a TV station in Chicago, so he would've been in charge of the process. :mrgreen: I think he would've just bought her an HDTV and been done with it. Maybe he could've even persuaded her to get rid of the dead Magnavox console set that the working TV has been sitting on top of for the last 30 years.

Maybe. I wouldn't have placed a bet on it, tho. :lol:

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm 
Master Pilot

When my family arrived in Canada, we first lived at the home of relatives, who had no cable. After we moved into our own house, dad got cable. He was pragmatic about that sort of thing. He wasn't one to wring his hands in anguish over it. I'm just guessing here, but I think cable tv was a Western "luxury" he wanted. Having come from China which at the time was pretty backwards technologically, cable television must have been a pretty cool thing for dad. Then a few years later, he went and got a Beta VCR - another magical Western gadget. Indeed, he bought several VCRs (and TVs) over the years - all VHS, after the poor Beta machine died; I should've kept it for, um, nostalgic value. I wouldn't say my dad was very sophisticated about technology, he just enjoyed television a lot (as did I).