[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what's in your dvd player?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: what's in your dvd player?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:55 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Wait...did I see Spidey 2? Is that the one where he's up against his gray-suited alter ego? Then no, I haven't seen it. I was going to see it but then it didn't happen.

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:42 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Oh yeah, Doc Ock. I was thinking that was Spidey 1. Clearly these films have made a big impression on me. :lol: Which, in retrospect, is probably why I didn't rush to the theater to see Spidey 3.

I did really like the first one. The second one was okay -- I mean, I was open to seeing the third, so I must not have thought it was terrible -- but it didn't have the same emotional resonance that made the first movie so good.

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 am 
Master Pilot

Well, the first movie also had Cliff Robertson as Uncle Ben, which I forgot to mention. That was a very affecting performance. I wish there had been more of that kind of emotional quality and less of the teen angst of Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker. All right, I'll meet you in the middle and say that the first film was more tolerable than the second. A week later, I'm still in high dudgeon over Spider-Man 2. A waste of two hours of my life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:57 am 
Master Pilot

Bought and watched The Matrix - 10th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray. 8) 8) 8)

There were no alterations or extra scenes in the film itself. It just looks darn good and sounds even better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:46 am 
Master Pilot

Wow. Wow. and Wow!

Watched Galapagos on Blu-ray. It's a 3-episode special about the Islands shot in hi-def, and narrated by Tilda Swinton. This program first aired on National Geographic Channel. I got it on sale for $20.

It was thoroughly absorbing: it's really startling the difference hi-def makes, at least when it comes to capturing nature.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:10 am 
Master Pilot

The Blu-ray edition of 2010 came out today, and I just finished watching it. Overall, I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed by this release. This is a fine movie that deserved better for its Blu-ray debut. It's a bare bones treatment: no retrospective documentary, no new interviews with cast or crew, not even a single audio commentary track by anybody. The picture quality itself alternates between beautiful and awful: sometimes the hi-def glory shines through, but most of the time there's an unsightly coarseness to the picture that is a real letdown. This substandard hi-def transfer, along with the absence of any new bonus features, has really shortchanged fans of 2010. I'd still rather have it on Blu-ray than not, but in this instance the studio isn't displaying much respect for people who've invested in Blu-ray.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:33 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Lifetime of a Star, a DVD my FIL ordered via Astronomy Magazine and a production of A&E.
All three Wagner guys are enthralled, while I'm here typing away... ;)

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have watched that series many times on the Discovery channel and its affilliates - and yes, just on regular TV it is spectactular and unbelievably beautiful. 8) I'm sure even more so in blue ray. :D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:26 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:42 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the link, Menolly, but my German is a little rusty. :P I'll just wait and see if they re-air it.

Thought I was going to see Watchmen at IMAX this evening, but it was wet and cold out there, so instead I watched the remaining episodes of Planet Earth - a 5 hour marathon, but a most pleasurable one.

(gets on soapbox) I swear, this is just the kind of magnificent educational program that ought to be shown in school classrooms everywhere, to give kids a sense of the big picture of life on Earth, and how beautiful nature can be - they're going to inherit a screwed up world from us. You gotta hit 'em with visuals, textbooks mean nothing to them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 am 

*shakes head*

neo...

The site may be in German, but just hit play on the video itself.
It's all in English...
...at least, it was when I played it.

~*~edit~*~

oh wow...
yeah, the link isn't right.
let's see if this will work...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/1of5- ... /265186955

that seems to be right.
give it another go, neo...

~Avatar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks again! I just finished watching the show. It was good, though the quaint rock climbing analogies used to illustrate gravity weren't really necessary. :P I of course liked the fancy CG animations, but low-res youtube vids aren't the best way to see them. Too bad they didn't have a higher-res version. Nevertheless, I love this stuff.

Update: I also watched the episode on Dark Matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next