[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what's in your dvd player?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: what's in your dvd player?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

I thought I would start a separate thread from the movie ratings, as many people watch other things on dvd (like television shows and concerts) along with their movies.

So what have you been watching lately?

I have been working my way through the televsion series The Dresen Files, based upon the urban fantasy series of books by Jim Butcher.

It's OK, but they forgot the humor and goofy charm that permeate the books. :?

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: what's in your dvd player?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:30 am 
Master Pilot

Oddly enough, I put The Matrix on yesterday. Hard to believe that next year will be the movie's 10th anniversary. The Matrix had a profound impact me: simply put, it made me see and think about the world in a way I had not before. It was a true paradigm shift. But The Matrix was also one of those films that polarized opinion: it seemed either you "got it" or you thought it was junk. It was hard, and maybe continues to be hard, for one side to understand the position of the other. Oh well. I'm sure the debates and flame wars will rage with renewed vigor once next year's anniversary approaches. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

It is hard to believe that The Matrix is that old. But yes, the first time I saw it was on vhs rather than dvd. :shock:

The first time I watched it, my husband came home in the middle. He said I was sitting there engrossed, and with a huge ear to ear grin of delight on my face. :lol:

I love that film. I wish they could have edited up the sequels a bit though, and released them as one film rather than two... :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:12 pm 
The UnTitled

Ten years, wow...I own the first (my favourite) on vhs. :lol:

Been watching lots of movies recently...just finally saw V for Vendetta which I loved.

--A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:23 am 
Master Pilot

You two saw The Matrix on VHS? As Neo might say: whoa! :P

After I saw The Matrix at the theatre and was blown away by it, I basically decided then and there that it would be a film I'd have to have on DVD. So I bypassed VHS altogether. The Matrix holds the distinction of being the very first movie I bought on DVD. At the time, we didn't even have a standalone DVD player for the TV yet! However, my PC had a DVD-ROM drive so we watched the movie on the monitor. It was somehow eerily appropriate that we would be viewing The Matrix via a computer screen. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed V For Vendetta, Av! I think that, overall, it captured the spirit of the graphic novel, which is all I can reasonably ask of any film adaptation. Hugo Weaving put in a great performance as V.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am 
The UnTitled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:12 pm 
The Timekeeper

Now that I'm on Netflicks I'll contribute alot to this thread! Gone Baby Gone was very good, loved Sunshine, but had to return Beowulf after 15 minutes as 2D CGI makes me, seriously, physically ill (had the same problem with A Scanner Darkly, speaking of Neo). My queue now stands at: Alvin and the Chipmunks and Juno. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy A Scanner Darkly because of the animation, danlo. I thought it was a terrific movie. I'm a little envious of your Netflix service; Juno was a film I had thought about seeing at the theatre, but missed it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:27 pm 
Master Pilot

To answer the question...Cloverfield.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:17 am 
The UnTitled

I've heard conflicting reports on that one...what did you think?

--A

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:06 am 
Master Pilot

I slipped in another of my favorites earlier today: Carl Sagan's Cosmos - the opening episode. Will be watching the other episodes over the week. I bought the DVD set several years ago, but in the past 12 months I've really been watching it a lot. Cosmos was a huge influence on me as a kid.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:56 pm 
The Timekeeper

Alvin and the Chimpmunks was a hoot-better than I expected. Elora had a blast watching it! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 pm 
Master Pilot

After watching Iron man (which was excellent by the way) the wife and I had an X-men marathon watching all three films back to back which has the effect of pointing just how incongruent X-3 was. In any case we enjoyed the effort.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next