[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what's in your dvd player?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: what's in your dvd player?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Season two of The Tudors. The history in season one was so badly done I nearly stopped watching it, but all of the reviews said they stayed much closer to the the actual recorded history of the era in the second season. That is true, and the result is compelling as hell. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Slowly working my way through the final season of Battlestar Galactica. Started disc 2 last night after Obama's address to Congress. I have the cheapest Netflix plan (two discs per month, total) so it's going to take me at least another month to see all the episodes.

My books:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am 
The Timekeeper

That explains a lot! I thought I was on your Netflix plan ali and wondered why I'm charged 9.90 a month getting as many DVD as I can order throughout the month. Must have upgraded without knowing it. Probably won't order any this month as the "enertainment center" type TV blew it's tube, Still have to check if the little TV can handle DVDs, but I, sorta, doubt it.

The sad thing is (due to recession) that we can probably get a 24+ inch screen off Craig's list or through the paper for about $100.

duchy: Tam and I are big Tudors fans and liked season one-yes it was soapy, but moved well, but I'm bummed it wasn't that accurate. I could feel, in a way, that season two was more realistic, but it kind of dragged until :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

The acting is so good in both seasons (and the guy who plays Charles Brandon is delightful eye candy in addition to being a good actor). I like how they capture the flawed human qualities of these historical figures so well - such as Sir Thomas More - the leading scholar who burned books and the guy who burned Protestants at the stake who ending up being beheaded for his own Catholicism (though he never made the connection that the people he killed were every bit as much martyrs as he was). And they did Anne Boleyn's final days in the Tower almost word for word from the written historical records. And I have read in a lot of more modern history books that her miscarriages and the tension between herslf and Cromwell over the disolution of the religious houses did, indeed, lead to her death - and I have also read that the King took advantage of the situation to purge his court of gays, who were accused of being her lovers. Now these are modern interpretations of events that took place hundreds of years ago, but I do like how they incorporated them into the show.

The worst bits from season one:
Henry Fitzroy dying as a tiny child rather than a late teen. This change added nothing to the show, and in fact took away tension they could have used to ratchet up the pressure on Anne Boleyn to carry a son to term, as some nobles were suggesting that he be made heir before either of the daughters.

Margaret Tudor was Henry's elder sister and married the King of Scotland, not the King of Portugal. After that marriage ended (the King was killed when invading England at the battle of Flodden) she went on to marry Scottish nobles. It was her descendants who went on to rule the UK after the death of Elizabeth and James took both thrones.
(The death of the King of Scotland was one of the more impressive moments of Henry's reign, even though he had nothing to do with it. He was off playing at war in France, and the Scots took advantage and invaded. The pregnant Katherine of Aragorn, named Regent of England in Henry's absence, raised an army, rode with it part of the way, and that army won the huge victory.)

Henry's younger sister was Mary Tudor and she married the elderly King of France, who died just a couple (I want to say maybe three?) months after their marriage. There is no suggestion whatsoever that she killed him. It was Mary who made the secret marriage to Charles Brandon, and she was the ancestor of poor little doomed Lady Jane Grey.

I have no idea why they did what they did with Henry's sisters on the show - sort of combine them into one being, and then make up some strange stuff, and throw in some real stuff, too... :?

And I hope you guys get a new/good used high quality TV soon. If nothing else, I bet you can get great deals this year as the holidays grow closer!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo -- my Netflix is something like $4.95/month, so yeah, you must've gotten a stealth upgrade. :) I've thought about shelling out an extra dollar a month and getting unlimited DVDs but one at a time, but I haven't done it yet.

My books:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Stealth upgrade? They can legally do that and start charging you extra without you knowing? I don't know anything about Netflix.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Nah, I don't think they can upgrade you without your permission. I was just teasing danlo. ;)

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Over the last couple of weeks I have watched season one of HBO's True Blood, a series based on a series of fantasy books written by Charlaine Harris. They super sexed it up in comparison to the books, but they captured the creepy small town in the South (where everyone knows or is somehow related to everyone else) very well. You cannot watch it with the younger kids in the house though - it is a fairly hard R (if not a soft X) between the sex and the drug use and the violence. I really enjoyed it, however. While they changed some things (like adding all of the sex - in the books there is some sex, but not like in the show!) overall I think they did a pretty good job with it, and am looking forward to season two coming out on DVD.

Tudors season three coming out on DVD next month! YAY!!! :sky: :sky: :sky:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 pm 
The UnTitled

I just recently got the first season of True Blood on disc...heard good things about it, but not had the chance to watch it yet.

--A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm 
The UnTitled

:LOLS: Sounds like fun. :D

--A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Season three of The Tudors. Much grimmer than the first two seasons, with the huge uprising in the North and Henry's brutal retaliations in return and the death of gentle and kind Queen Jane Seymour. Henry, while still young and handsome and charming and perfectly justified in his behavior in his own eyes (as shown in having the actor who portrays him still being young and handsome) has become a true monster...

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Magickmaker's now into True Blood. She's almost 21, but I still have trouble wrapping my brain around the idea of her watching R-rated stuff.... :shock:

I've got Sunshine Cleaning and I Served the King of England sitting on the coffee table, awaiting a cold, snowy cocooning day -- hey, like tomorrow! :mrgreen: I saw I Served the King of England at the big-screen theater here in DC a year or two ago. It's in Czech with English subtitles (which is a good thing! :lol:). They had a Q&A with the director afterward, which was kind of cool. Anyway, I saw the DVD at a Blockbuster going-out-of-business sale before Christmas and figured I'd better buy it because nobody else would want it....

My books:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Oh man, I love those huge going out of business sales. I got a couple hundred DVD's at a Hollywood Video that went out of business - each DVD was cheaper to buy than it would have been to rent. At the end they were nearly giving them away just to get rid of them. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm 
Master Pilot

They weren't quite to the point of paying people to take them off their hands yet, but they were close... :lol:

I never got around to watching any movies over the weekend -- lost several hours playing Zen Chuzzle instead. :lol: And someone loaned me a copy of "Bride and Prejudice" yesterday, so now I have an actual to-be-watched stack on the coffee table....

My books:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next