[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what's in your dvd player?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: what's in your dvd player?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 am 
Master Pilot

I'm pursuing this topic. HBO definitely likes to push its image that they're edgie and pushing the envelope of TV limits, but really not so much! The versions of many R rated movies they show are overtly and openly introduced as edited for content, and this is what the airlines do when they show in-flight movies. Of course, this is most likely to appease cable systems that carry the premium network in areas where there could be community resistance to R rated content. Let's remember that David Chase's plan some years ago was to put The Sopranos on NBC, ABC, CBS or Fox broadcast or a non-premium cable outlet. Speaking as a huge Sopranos fan, I feel confident that except for the language usage very few scenes from the series would need major reshooting, as far as sexual content, when on a non-premium outlet. My opinion is supported by A&E cable's reshowing of Sopranos some years after it's initial run on HBO.

Consider, USA Network and/or Spike TV has shown Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction with minimal editing. YMMV...

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 am 
Master Pilot

Watched "Miss Potter" last night -- the biopic about Beatrix Potter. I liked it -- of course, I like just about anything that Ewan MacGregor is in. :twisted: I didn't realize that Beatrix had such a struggle against her mother, tho, or that she spent so much time/money in her later years preserving the Lake District. That part was quite interesting to me.

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
The UnTitled

Just watched Blade Runner, which I talk about in the other thread.

Also, The Princess Bride for the first time, although I've read the book, (not the original, the Goldman version) many times. Not bad. They got in the most important stuff, but missed some things I liked too. Could have been worse.

--A

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:46 pm 
Master Pilot

I *love* "The Princess Bride", both the movie and the book.

Awaiting me on the coffee table is "The Darjeeling Limited". I might watch it tonight....

My books:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:19 pm 
The UnTitled

Very good apparently. I know the GF loved it.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 am 
Master Pilot

Well, the LOTR trilogy on Bluray will have to wait its turn, because at last I've also acquired From the Earth to the Moon on DVD - retail for only $22! They must be clearing out their stock, as the regular price used to be $60 and higher. I absolutely loved this miniseries when I caught it on A&E a while back, but I didn't see every episode, so I'm thrilled to have the whole thing now. I've already watched the first six parts; I'm just taking a break from it tonight. I like the classy packaging of this DVD box, too. 8)

Thought this series isn't political history, I like that it doesn't shy away from at least acknowledging the politics and infighting that accompanied the race to the Moon. It didn't happen in a vacuum (excuse the pun). Especially in 1968, with all the sociopolitical turbulence of Vietnam, the assassinations of both Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, and the Kent State shootings. Against that backdrop, the effort to land men on the Moon must have seemed almost quaint, and yet more urgently needed as an optimistic vision of what was possible for America and for humankind in general.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 am 
Lady Scryer

I really love that miniseries, and bought it back at full price. :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 am 
Master Pilot

The important thing is that you love the miniseries, Duchess. :mrgreen:

Today was D-Day...Dune Day. Bought David Lynch's movie on blu-ray! :blue: <--- excited Arrakeen blu-ray dude.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:55 pm 
The UnTitled

Just watched Half-Blood Prince...sheesh it was terrible. Easily the worst of the Harry Potter movies so far.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
The UnTitled

I thought I didn't remember that happening. :lol:

And yes, the third was excellent.

--A

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:39 pm 
Master Pilot

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
The UnTitled

It was much worse than GoF. :lol:

And yes, the director of PoA was great...got a real film noir feel going, which HBP tried and failed to duplicate.

--A

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 am 
Master Pilot

I also liked Cuaron the best of the Harry Potter directors. Too bad he's not back for the last two films.

Just watched Love in the Time of Cholera. I liked it, despite Mike Newell directing. :lol: I remember reading the book but I didn't really remember what it was about (the Garcia Marquez novel that sticks with me most is One Hundred Years of Solitude).

My books:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next