Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Classic Holiday Films
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

The first heavy snow of the year, combined with Thanksgiving, has put me in the mood to watch holiday movies. While I enjoy some of the recent films, such as Elf, I have always had a thing for some of the old b&w classics.

Since I am only allowed 5 choices in the poll, I stuck with mostly the older ones I know the best, but please feel free to discuss more recent films like Elf and Bad Santa, too. Miracle on 34th StreetIt's a Wonderful LifeChristmas Carol (I especially like the George C. Scott version)We're No AngelsScroogedShow results ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Classic Holiday Films
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:04 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess, the George C. Scott version of Christmas Carole is very good. However, I wonder if any cable or broadcast channel shows a version from the 1930s, maybe has Basil Rathbone in it, that as I remember was a b/w film. When I was a child this version was shown quite a bit, and I would not watch it at the time because I thought it was too scary. One would suppose it's available on DVD?

FWIW, this last week NBC showed It's a wonderful life and everyone knows Universal/GE now hold a copyright on the movie. And last weekend TNT showed Wizard of Oz, IMO the most underated film in American cinema. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

I don 't know that I've ever seen that b&w version of A Christmas Carole Taras. I will have to keep my eye out for it on cable.

That's the best place to catch the old classic We're No Angels, too.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:21 am 
Lady Scryer

I rented Polar Express and watched it the other day. It was pretty good. The animation had a bit if an odd quality to it, though. I almost felt as though I was watching a 3-D movie without those special glasses... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:40 am 
Master Pilot

I saw Polar Express in 3D at the I-Max last year. Don't think I coulda enjoyed it without the 3D novelty (I've been accused of reading too much into the movie... imagine ).

I voted for It's A Wonderful Life. Scrooged was a close second, but it just doesn't have the classic appeal. A Christmas Story is great, but I usually skip out during parts of it. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 am 
Master Pilot

A contrarian choice Gremlins. It's hard to imagine Christmas without all the seeing the gremlins signing in the movie theater and then they all get "Blowed up real good" taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

My friend lent me an old classic movie from the 1950's called Desk Set that turned out to be a Chritmas movie, or to at least have a nice NYC Christmas setting. It starred Hepburn and Spencer, and a very primitive proto-computer. This romantic comedy from the 1950's anticipated today's computers more than a lot of science fiction films have. While the computer was a stand alone machine, it immediately brought google to mind. ******************************************************

<i></i>