Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dr. Who and new series news
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:27 am 
Master Pilot

Ok, produced and loved in the UK, but also loved throughout the world. The adventures of a non-confoming Gallifreyean time lord and his side-kicks (companions). The original series ran from 1963 to 1989. A website with lots of Dr. Who information is Outpost Gallifrey www.gallifreyone.com/.

Lets talk Dr. Who. BTW, if anyone needs to know startin in late 2004 new episodes are going to be produced by the BBC. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/20/04 8:05 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:21 pm 
Pilot

They still haven't sorted out who the new Dr Who is going to be, rumours persist that it might be Richard E Grant who is doing the Dr Who audiotapes at the moment.

Personally, I think Alexander Siddig who played Dr Bashir in Deep Space 9 would be a good Dr Who. He's British, can do psycho very well, and let's face it, he's had previous experience playing a doctor! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:09 am 
Master Pilot

I know some local Who fans and they are up on most rumors. I have not heard the Alexander Siddiq, formerly married to DS9 costar Nana Visitor, one before, but why not. One of the most persistent rumors for casting the newest carnation of the Doctor is Tony Head, AKA Anthony Stuart Head, fomerly on Buffy tVS and the BBC series Manchild. A choice I would be in favor of. However, the latest news I heard and this is direct from the recently concluded Dr. Who convention in Los Angeles, is that Richard E. Davies, head writer for the new series, is no where even close to begin chosing any cast members.

And Autojay welcome to the Manifold and post often. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:15 pm 
Pilot

Thanks, Taraswizard and I will.

Anthony Head's a bit bizarre for me. The first time I saw him, he was in a Gold Blend ad asking some girl whether he could borrow some coffee... <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:17 pm 
Master Pilot

please read the following with a slightly tongue in cheek tone and a little sarcasm --=

Quote: asking some girl whether he could borrow some coffee "The who whatting how with huh?" Really, everyone talks about these commercials!! But, I was barely aware of them when they were aired in the early 90s. I currently have almost no recollection at all of them now. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/6/04 9:18 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:08 pm 
Pilot

Those coffee ads were ubiquitous in Britain at one point (and the coffee wasn't that bad either) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who from merged thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:58 pm 
Master Pilot

autojay wrote here
Americans may not be too familiar with Christopher Eccleston, but he has been a staple of British TV for a while.

The 41 year old actor has appeared in many acclaimed TV series, including The Second Coming, Cracker, and Our Friends in the North.

He has also appeared in films from which he would probably be more familiar to you, including 28 Days Later (as the army commander), Gone in 60 Seconds, and eXistenZ.

He's an interesting choice - Dr Who was always going to stand and fall on who they got to play the Doctor, and I have to say with him on board, and the new series being written by Russel T Davies (who wrote Queer as Folk) I'm hopeful. <i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/20/04 7:58 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who from merged thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Dr. Who

Within the last month the new series has concluded its initial run on BBC in England. The concluding episode was shown in Canada a few weeeks ago. Recent news indicates the new series is due to shown in Australia and New Zealand.

Who taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who DVD set
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:56 am 
Master Pilot

Within the last few weeks the DVD set of the new Dr. Who series, starrring Christopher Eccleston, has been released in the UK. Additonally, BBC has announced they will be releasing a US version of the DVD set, which is said to be identical in content to the just released UK version. The US version will be available around Feb. 14.

ps. I'm preparing a several servings of crow for some members of the local Dr. Who group, since they swore to me in non-ambigous terms and without any compromise that US DVD version of the 2005 series would never be released without in being seen on US TV first. If I was 11 I would send them all an E-mail saying "nener, nener, nener". taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who in the U.S.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 pm 
Master Pilot

For those who care. SciFi cable is going to begin showing the 9th Doctor series in March, as part of their SciFi Friday programming. (the series is due to premier when the current run of Battlestar Galatica concludes) FWIW, many, many fans of Dr. Who in the U.S. most likely have seen at minimum some of the 9th Doctor series (and let's not be naive, file sharing of TV programing is ubiquitous on the Internet, or they arranged to have video recordings sent to them from Canada or the UK). However, for others this is going to be their first chance to see the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler (the Doctor's companion)

Of course this will be the first chance for many people to see Dr. Who at all, since AFAIK SciFi cable has not shown repeats of the series previous (1963 -1989) since 1999 or so (good Who fans do not discuss the 1996 movie). So there is a strong hope among Dr. Who fans in the U.S. that the showing on SciFi will cause an ground swell of new Dr. Who fandom. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/3/06 10:54 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:39 pm 
Master Pilot

The second series of RT Davies's new Dr. Who's series has just concluded in the UK. Regarding US news about one week ago the DVD set for the RT Davies's first series has been officially released to US retailers. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html
Buff_fans_Chicago http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/buffy_fans_chicago/
live journal http://taras-wizard.livejournal.com<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:03 pm 
Master Pilot

3 Dr. Who episodes have been nominated for this year's Hugo Awards, to be handed out Aug. 27th in Los Angeles at WorldCon:

Doctor Who "Dalek" Written by Robert Shearman.Directed by Joe Ahearne. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances" Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by James Hawes. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who "Father’s Day" Written by Paul Cornell. Directed by Joe Ahearne. (BBC Wales/BBC1)

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Dr. Who and new series news
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:13 am 
Master Pilot

OK, ya'all know I'm a Dr. Who fan, too, and I somtimes attend a local group that is solely dedicated to the adventures of Chroniicles of Who. My comments concern Doomsday, and I liked the episode, alot, thinking it well written and having a consistent story, the final episode of season 2 from the UK, shown in the UK eary summer of 2006 and shown on SciFi Cable on Friday Dec. 23. The comments are spoilery, very spoilery
so
don't
read past
the
spoiler
space
unless you
don't
care
or
you've
seen
Doomsday
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
you've been warned:
The first tme I'd watched the episode was on SciFi cable on Dec. 23, and it's Billie Piper's last regular appearance as Rose Tyler. However, before it's airing and I'd read how trite, maudlin, sappy and over emotional the episode was. Well, many of those comments are correct; however, most who made those comments made them for the wrong reasons, therefore their comments are wrong. These commenters have all said how wrong and counter to the traditions of Dr. Who for the companion to openly profess 'love' for the Doctor and how equally counter to those traditions it is for the Doctor to reciporcate. IOW, their issues really are only concerned with the final scene where Rose utters through a torrent of sobs "Doctor, I love you" and an equally emotional but dried eyed Doctor is cut off before his reciprocable statement can be made.

However, the episode issues really are centered on a much deeper level than a few lines of sappy dialogue. Consider the ending it's an example of puerile, infantilized, wish fullfilment for Rose Tyler, her mum and dad are back together, she goes back to being Micki's g/f. Remember from Rose, she only decides to join the Doctor when he tells her the TARDIS travels in time, and the first place she tells the Doctor she wants to go is the day Peter Tyler, her dad, was killed (episode Father's Day from the Eccleston season), and she mucks about with things. Consider a series ending episode Chosen from BtVS what if at the end of the episode and the closing of Sunnydale's Hellmouth, Buffy and Dawn go back to live with their father, all fans would have been 'WTF, that's the best ending you could come up with' So that's sorta of my question to Russell T. Davies, that's the best ending you could come with?

I've barely begun to think of the feminist issues and class issues. 'Rose Tyler, you're just playing at being important going with the Doctor on his fantastic and important adventures, BUT Rose you're just a simple shop girl, the daughter of Peter and Jackie, and Mickie's g/f. You should know your place. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>