Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Firefly and Serenity (Universal pictures)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:10 am 
Pilot

The entire series of Firefly is about to be released on dvd in Britain next week. Is it worth watching? I'm not a big fan of Buffy, but from what I've heard Joss Whedon has done an intriguing mix of American Reconstruction period and space opera - is it any good? <i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 6/5/05 10:48 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Firefly
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:53 pm 
Master Pilot

The first couple of episodes turned me off completely... old west drama dressed up in sci-fi clothes. However, a lot of people (though one would argue maybe not enough) found it enjoyable. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Firefly
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:13 pm 
Master Pilot

Autojay, IMO the entire series is really worth buying on DVD. The series is not 'Buffy in space'. And I hope you can approach it with an open mind. In the US we never saw over broadcast TV all 13 episodes that were actually made. However, in Canada over their Sky cable they did see all the episodes made. The series is made with a unique sensibility and ideas. When the series was shown here in the States I loved it. I am still grousing about Fox's decision to cancell. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Firefly and Serenity
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:38 pm 
Pilot

On the positive side, they are definitely going to be making it into a film, called Serenity, and if it does well, who knows, there could be a spin off series.

I'll give it a go, and see what I make of it. It doesn't seem the run-of-the-mill TV SF, and at least it won't be like Enterprise <i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 6/5/05 10:50 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Serenity, Universal pictures. The movie is still in post production due for an October release. FWIW, there have been preview screenings in Australia and the States in May and more schduled for June. AFAIK, if Serenity does well, there will be at least two more movies made.

FYI, SciFi cable is rerunning all episodes starting in July. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 6/5/05 10:57 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:01 am 
Lady Scryer

Taras, Serenity is due out pretty soon. Have you heard whether or not it can be understood at all by someone who hasn't had a chance to see any of Firefly? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:37 am 
Master Pilot

Duchess, you're truly a dear, FYI to everyone the date of US premier of Serenity, the movie somewhat based on Joss Whedon's Firefly, is Sept 30, 2005.

The question you asked is one I would love to answer, one I feel required to answer, and one that truly deserves an answer. However, since I've not seen the movie and know little about it's story and plot other than the trailers I've seen, I do not think I can answer with anything approaching 100% certainity. Maybe this will help, at KW in the Flicks forum Bird and Bear has started a Serenity thread, that's surprisingly lacking some their characteristic snideness. Additionally, Bird and Bear has seen some of the prescreenings that have been going on since April.

Now to a personal tangent that I hope you can draw from as a analogy. Last summer I went to see The prisoner of Azkaban with out ever seeing the other movies nor reading any of the books. I had no knowledge except Harry, was the fellow with the wire rimmed glasses (and he's a wizard), there is a trouble maker named Malfoy, and the name Hogwarts and Dumbledore were somehow connected to the story. And still I undersood and enjoyed PoA thoroughly.

In a very general sense, I'm hoping that the answer to the question is no, I want this movie to get the success I believe it deserves, and if that is dependent on folks being thoroughly famaliar with or fans of the series, well that's a recipe for non-success.

Sorry I do not have a better answer than this. It's a little past midnight, and I need to go for my walk. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 8/30/05 9:50 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

I thought Prisoner of Azkaban was the best of the HP movies so far, and I am glad that you liked it. . And you have given me hope that if I do go to see the movie, I might understand what is going on in it. I was curious about the film, and I know that Danlo said that the trailer he saw looked good.

I have not seen one of the trailers. The movie theater near my house doesn't show many trailers these days -- they are too busy showing car commercials before the films. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:27 pm 
Master Pilot

Serenity. I can now answer Duchess's question since I've now seen the movie, during its second weekend FWIW. Duchess, the answer is an unqualified, enthusiastic and joyful YES, one can go to the movie and get it regardless of any previous familiarity with the short lived TV series.

Seeing the movie, and the next morning I'm still a little enthused about it, at a suburban multiplex, and the theater was very full, and this is good news for the movie. Since it was the second place movie to Flightplan its opening weekend.

To the rest of you Hangarites. GO NOW and see this movie, it's guaranteed to please you on some level. It really should not matter if you hate westerns, or hated Buffy or Angel, one should still go and see this movie.

It has special effects, good music, good acting, excellent writing. George Lucas, you need to hang your head in shame and repeat these words "I'm not worthy" over and over.

This movie is rated PG-13 and I understand why (FWIW, I've never been sure why RotS was rated PG-13). This movie is violent, and not Sin City or Pulp Fiction violent, but more violent than RotS. This movie is adult, no nudity or real sex, but intense situations and circumstances. It's not for kiddies. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Post subject: Serenity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thanks Taras. Sounds like I should try to make it out to the movie theater then. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Serenity
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Things I liked about Serenity. One was the surprises were real ones and not lame ones (example of one fo the stupidest movie surprise ever "Luke I am your father", give me an effing break). There is a story here, that does not rely on the action scenes. This movie is about real things.

If I go on I'm going to make disparging comments about a popular movie series.

taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Post subject: Re: Firefly and Serenity (Universal pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:30 pm 
Master Pilot

www.hatrack.com/osc/revie...xtra.shtml

The link above is Orson Scott Card's review of Serenity, and even if I have a problem with his fiction, but I agree with most of what he's said previously about Trek, SW and other things. Ms Mary, knowing you love OSC's fiction, you might be prompted by his review to go see the movie.

Duchess, the review is very unspoilery so you might enjoy it too.
taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:34 pm 
Master Pilot

I went to see Serenity without ever having seen a single episode of Firefly, and I was able to understand and enjoy the movie. I'd like to see it again.

And I am trying to figure out how I can get a chance to see all the episodes of Firefly that I never saw. "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Oh, and actually, Allan, I read OSC's review of Serenity after having seen the movie.

I wanted to go see it again, but the night my husband and I were planning to go, Hurricane Wilma was approaching and we had to defer movie-going to prepare. By the time we got power back, it was no longer playing in the theatres.

Guess I will have to wait for the DVD to see it again... "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

This weekend I actually had enough time to go see a movie -- but Serenity wasn't playing anymore at my local multiplex. In fact, there was not a single movie playing that I wanted to see. So I guess its going to be the dvd for me... ******************************************************

<i></i>