Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Movie Ratings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:23 pm 
Master Pilot

In this thread, you can mention any movie youve seen or rented, and rate them on a scale of 1-10.
Has anyone here seen the political comedy Bullworth? I rented it on DVD last night, theres some language (some? haha), but its really funny. But it has a strange, dark ending.
My rating-7; points were taken off for a pretty bad ending.
Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Movie Ratings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:37 pm 
Master Pilot

I really hate 2 give ratings but I would give Brotherhood of the Wolf an 8 and 1/2
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:35 am 
Master Pilot

Just finished watching Insomnia--pretty damm good! Intense. I'd give it a solid 8. Great interplay by 2 Academy Award winning actors: Al Pacino and Robin Williams. A video I would b pleased 2 own!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:45 pm 
Master Pilot

Shadowlands:7
It was too slow, Im not a big love story person...I read somewhere that it was kinda inaccruate... Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

Post subject: Monsters Inc.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I'd give Monsters Inc., itself, 3 lols out 5. Another heart warming PIXAR, funny and new, but drug a few times in the 2nd 1/2. I'd give the trailers a 4 and For the Birds and Mike's New Car 5s apiece. The short films were SO hilarious I almost coughed myself 2 death! . On mhoram's scale I'd give the movie itself a 6 and an 8 4 overall presentation and effort!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Monsters Inc.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:29 pm 
Master Pilot

mmm .. ratings .. I dont think I'd like Shadowlands either .. also not into sappy dramas .. is it a dramary kinda love story Mhoram??

If its a good love story - it needs some humour/comedic value too! Then I can tolerate it better ..

Some chick-flicks I dont mind .. some are postitively gag-worthy!! .. I did like Kate and Leopold!! It had a good twist and I liked the historical-time travel inclusion .. I would give it a 8/10! .. but it depends on what I am to compare it to .. its all relative after all.

I could never face watching sucky chick-flicks like .. well you know the ones I mean ..

Gladiator was 9/10 imho .. and
Starship Troopers 8/10
Time Machine .. oh that was so good .. Guy Pearce was brilliant .. a good 8/10
5th element 8/10
The Matrix .. ooooh 10/10
Pitch Black 8/10

The Dish 0/10 what a dud!
Meet the Parents 8/10
A Beautiful Mind .. Russ Crowe .. 9/10
Moulin Rouge 9/10 .. with Nicole and Ewan

Snow falling on Cedars .. blech!! 1/10 .. because the scenery was great .. and thats where it ended ..

I'll be back .. when I can think of more movies
health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:31 pm 
Master Pilot

oh yeah and one of my all time favourites .. The Thin Red Line .. I'd give it 10/10 .. for its creative genius .. and poetic astuteness!!

a masterpiece in brilliance .. would have been better without George Clooney though .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:59 pm 
Master Pilot

It is a drama story, but interesting because it was a true story. I loved Gladiator! Has anyone seen Minority Report? It was awesome, a good follow-up for Spielberg after AI(4/10)...Id give it a 9/10! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:58 am 
Master Pilot

I absolutely agree .. Gladiator is an all time favourite .. I loved it!! .. I loved the historical detail .. not the story .. re: the costumes and artifacts and the stadium .. it was breath-takingly awesome!!

I havent yet seen Minority Report .. not a big Cruise fan .. but will see it on video .. just cos I have heard such good rave reviews!! .. and now your recommendation ..

I liked AI .. it was a bit of a fairy-tale .. clearly .. but its a nice kiddy-film .. I liked the similar A.I concept movie which predeceded it .. with Robyn Williams too .. I liked the legal/ethical-moral questions that are inevitabley associated with concepts like A.I health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:31 pm 
Master Pilot

Did u read my review on Minority Report on page 3 of Movies and the Gen. Sci-Fi thread??
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/15/02 8:34:25 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:34 am 
Master Pilot

no I dont think so .. but will .. so what you couldnt have cut and paste it here????

now I have to go a-huntin' health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Minority Report
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:22 am 
Master Pilot

Wouldn't want u 2 hurt urself, so.....

Well, Stephen R. Donaldson appeared 2 like Minority Report, while on the other hand Foamy told me that she was so grossed out she walked out of the theater. I really didn't think it was so gross, xcept 4 mayb the eyeballs--but what the eye surgery symbolizes is the lack of totally human privacy in the future, vis a vis constant retinal scans. Which r not that far over the hill, btw. I felt that the movie was an amazing effort! The special effects were the best I've ever seen, bar none. It is probably nescessary 2 c this film twice as the multitude of effects is a bit overwhelming. 2 understand Minority Report better u need 2 have seen Blade Runner and Total Recall. They show other aspects of the "cyperpunk" future (c Gibson topic 4 more on that). The author of all 3 stories that these movies r based on is Philip K. Dick and he is consistantly touting conspriacy theories, individual privacy issues, anti-governmental control and a whole lot of other even more subtle issues in all his work. The movies (and books) Brave New World and Farenheit 451 r somewhat analogous 2 those trains of thought. Like Vanilla Sky, the flash of almost 2 much information and Tom Cruise's hip, slick and cool film persona tend 2 occulde what really going on. Re: Vanilla Sky, for instance, I really didn't kno what 2 make of the movie the 1st time I saw it. I sort of said "Yeah, it was really cool, but what is it?", when I saw it the 2nd time not only did it make sense but when the "flash haze" melted off Cruise's per4mance totally blew me away. MR hits all the right buttons, there's definately never a dull moment, and 4 the wide cinematic range of emotions, control and physical agility required Cruise is the right man 4 the job. Like Ford in Blade Runner, Willis in The Fifth Element and Reeves in The Matrix he "becomes" the role. I do think, however u need 2 c it twice 2 really appreciate it--2 get past the cool. When The Empire Strikes Back 1st hit the theather, ages ago, I tought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread--but then when I saw it the 2nd time it was 3xs better! MR bridges the gap btween now and the world of The Fifth Element and one of it's few drawbacks, aside from some grossness (Foamy!), is that it really leaves u hungry 4 more-like u want 2 know how the precogs were found, developed, trained and explore more of their complex ethical issues. It made me impatient! I want 2 live in that future now! I want 2 drive that awesome Lexus! I want 2 train genetically enhanced plants 2 wrap around door 2 door solicitors and thieves and toss them off my property!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Minority Report
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:42 am 
Master Pilot

phew thanks Time Keep!!

you saved me from myself .. I could have worn myself to the bone searching out that post

what a bud!!! ..

.. I will just have to check the movie out for myself .. mmm .. can you help with that too??? health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Changing Lanes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:23 pm 
Master Pilot

Changing Lanes is a damm good movie: solid 9! A combination of The Firm and Falling Down. Road rage takes on a new meaning in this super-intense highly intelligent thriller starring Ben Affleck, Samuel L. Jackson and William Hurt--c u in Daredevil soon Ben!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Changing Lanes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Spider-Man....7/10. I hated the Green Goblin, but liked all the other characters! I definitely smell a sequel... The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next