[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Movie Ratings

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie Ratings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Heard another review of Avatar this morning from a co-worker, saying much the same thing you did, MW. It's starting to sound like I need to see this movie...

My books:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I loved Avatar, ali.
But, I am not a movie hound, so the "cliched" aspect so many on the Watch are complaining about is not there for me.
I will admit I saw nods to Dances with Wolves, The Deer Hunter, Fern Gully, Clan of the Cave Bear, and Pern in this film, but I was seriously swept up in to the story and the culture of the Na'vi.

If I had had any idea what Avatar was about plot wise before I saw it, I would have made every effort to see the film, even if it was simple stick figure animation. I enjoyed it that much. We went to a regular 3-D showing (no IMAX theaters nearby here), and because of the hype regarding the 3-D is why we went. But for me as I watched it, the 3-D became secondary to the story. It only helped make my own immersion in to that more real.

I know I will miss out on seeing this on IMAX.
Something I will truly regret in days to come.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm keen to see Avatar too. My wife is not keen at all, so I need someone to see it with (well, I don't really, but it'd be more fun..). I think most of you are about a 20+ hour flight away - add a 15-ish time zone difference... should we book it in for, say, Friday? Any takers? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 pm 

You get here, I'll be there!
Steve, all I can say is tell your wife that Avatar is so much more than strictly a special effects movie.
If she likes any of the movies I referenced above, I bet she'll enjoy this.

I really had no idea regarding the story or anything prior to going to see it.
I was blown away.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 am 
Master Pilot

Yeah, the flicks gang at KW can be a jaded and cynical bunch, and I'll admit that's rubbed off on me. However, to be fair, I thought they made good points. But I found a lot of heart in Avatar, too.

My impression is that when people first saw the teaser trailer, some couldn't get over the big blue alien dude being the "avatar" or the star of the film. I didn't have a strongly positive or negative opinion of the character - I thought he was all right, he served his function in the film. But he's no Kevin Costner -- since Menolly brings up Dances With Wolves. :wink:
But Avatar does have Sigourney Weaver; it was nice to see her working with Cameron again after such a long time (their last collaboration being Aliens in 1986).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 am 

I would highly recommend seeing Avatar as your first IMAX film Duchess!
But buy tickets in advance via Fandango or whatever means the theater may have.
I have heard the IMAX showings sell out hours in advance.

I have heard nothing about Invictus.
But as I said, I am not that much of a movie buff.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 am 
Master Pilot

I've thought about going to Invictus. Don't know anything about the story myself. Something to do with rugby, heh heh. Not sure how long it'll run here. If I wait for the weekend, it might be gone, so I'll see how much energy I can whip up to go after work sometime this week.

RE Avatar: I say go check it out for the 3D if nothing else - unless you've already seen enough 3D films lately. :P

Not sure that IMAX is absolutely necessary for the experience, but then, I've never seen an IMAX 3D film either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Invictus is about Nelson Mandella putting together a South African soccer team shortly after the ending of apartheid as a way of bringing citizens of all races together. It is supposed to be a pretty good movie, from what I understand. 8)

I am off from work this coming weekend, so maybe I will head out to the movies - if I can bring myself to leave the house this weekend - it is supposed to be pretty darned cold. :box:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Supposed to be cold here, too, Duchess, altho the mid-Atlantic's definition of "cold" is somewhat different than Michigan's.... :lol:

There may be a movie marathon in my future. I've heard good things about Avatar and Up in the Air (what's not to like about George Clooney? :twisted:). Batty very much liked the new Sherlock Holmes flick. And I read an intriguing review this morning of The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (Heath Ledger's final performance, but Christopher Plummer and Johnny Depp are in it too).

Sigh. Too many movies, too little time. (And money. Even at bargain matinee prices, that's about 40 bucks before popcorn. :razz: )

My books:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm 

hmm...
I've heard mixed things about Sherlock Holmes. Basically that it's worth renting.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 am 

~Avatar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:53 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm really worn out from a rough week at work, so will probably pass on going to a movie this weekend. :( Plus Canadian Arctic Air will be blanketing us. :box: Down in the single digits F~!

Yeah - Ali is right - movies are really expensive when you catch them first run. We tend to see things at the dollar theater a lot rather than first run. I would most likely go see the Sherlock Holmes thing at the dollar show for example ... but it sounds like Avatar should be seen first run in 3D on IMAX from hearing you guys talk. :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 am 
Master Pilot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next