Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sci-Fi Movies
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:14 pm 
Master Pilot

There r SO many catergories Sci-Fi movies can fall in2--like best recent, best of all time, the classics, etc--I will just throw out a list of my all time favs--not in any order: The Illustrated Man, Event Horizon, 2001, War of the Worlds, Time After Time, Pitch Black, Blade Runner, The Cube, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Dark City, The Matrix, The Dunwich Horror, Alien, They Live, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions), The Empire Strikes Back, Scanners, The Thirteenth Floor, The Lathe of Heaven, Starship Troopers, Dark Star, Donnie Darko, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Cell, Forbidden Planet, Rhodan, The Fifth Element, Johnny Mnuemonic, Silent Running, Screamers, Farenhiet 451, Leviathan, The Final Countdown, The Abyss even, er, Dune --I'm sure the list goes on and on.
Finally: I MUST throw in a plug 4 the first 3 Sci-Fi movies I've ever seen--Boy were they bad!!--I think they rank right up there w/Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Red Ants on the Moon, The Attack of the Giant Crab Monsters and Robinson Crusoe on Mars Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/10/02 10:41:46 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Movies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Very nostalgic, Danlo. I can remember sci-fi shows that I thought were so scary (as a child), and when I see them now, I have to wonder why I was scared at all:
<i> The Angry Red Planet
It, the Being from Outer Space
The Forbidden Planet
Spaceship to Venus </i> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:43 pm 
Pilot

One of my favorite horror movies when I was a kid was "Mr. Sardonicus", which I saw on Creature Features on channel 9 from Chicago. Scared the crap out of me. I ran across it on late-night TV not long ago and watched it again -- boy, were the special effects cheesy! But it was still a pretty good movie....

Um, let's see, favorite sci-fi movies: the Star Trek movie with the whales, whatever number that was ("everybody remember where we parked" -- and I still think that Roddenberry missed a trick by not including somebody in our-time San Francisco who was wearing Vulcan ears or something...); LoTR, of course; the Star Wars sagas; and then I kinda run out of steam. A lot of the sci-fi movies I've seen are big, ponderous epics that concentrate on the special effects and don't have much in the way of a plot. Oh, wait, "E.T." -- that one was good, too....
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

U sure it wasn't called Dr. Sardonicus? I 2 love "The Voyage Home" was that the title of Star Trek 4? I loved the part on the bus where Spock uses the "vulcan death grip" on that huge, obnoxious punk rocker who has his boom-box blaring! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:19 pm 
Master Pilot

War of the Worlds is a classic. I still enjoy seeing that film.

I loved 2001: A Space Odyssey, which has also become a classic.

And I am a big Star Wars fan. I also love the movie soundtrack.

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 10:37 pm 
Master Pilot

The Day of the Triffids is a very cool old Sci-Fi along w/The Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price), but that movie runs the tightrope btween Horror and Sci-Fi as does The Omega Man. Speaking or Heston I can't leave out Soylent Green and the original Planet of the Apes. I 4got a great 1: Logan's Run. I personally love, the not so old, Strange Days (Fiennes) but alot of people I kno either don't like it, or don't understand it. Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:05 pm 
Master Pilot

The original Planet of the Apes was outstanding!

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 5:39 pm 
Pilot

It was definitely "Mr. Sardonicus" -- I just looked it up online. I forgot until I read the review: the movie featured a chance for the audience to vote on the ending. Of course, it was pretty certain which way the vote would go, so the alternate ending was never shot....

Yes, the Vulcan neck pinch on Boombox Boy was a classic! And how many times, in real life, have you wanted to be able to do that? <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:14 am 
Master Pilot

There was a record record by Spirit called "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus." Maybe that's what you were thinking of, Danlo? Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:58 am 
Master Pilot

Great album--one of my favs--used 2 own a copy of Kapt. Kopter and the Twirlybirds, prob worth a fortune 2day, w/ Randy California--guitarist 4 Spirit. I've got 2 watch Mr. Sardonicus, apparently! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:30 am 
Master Pilot

I love Star Wars. Back to the Future was good too.

And the best sci-fi TV show - indeed, the best TV show period, IMO - is the X-Files.

~Foamy~ <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/22/07 2:49 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:15 am 
Master Pilot

(I take it that's Scully & Muldar being abducted by aliens! ) How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, you know, danlo, the invasion is coming...

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:35 pm 
Master Pilot

I've been waiting 4 it my whole life, but it's taken so long it's starting 2 get booring! The truth is out there!, apparently! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:20 am 
Master Pilot

The invasion is coming...in ten years. It will happen on December 22, 2012. So we've still got some time.

~Foamy~ <i></i>