[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What are you reading in general?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading in general?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:41 am 
Lady Scryer

When I have the energy I have been slowly reading my history of the Thames River. It is actually pretty interesting - tons of important stuff happened near or on the banks of the river. Perhaps the best part is that the river is returning to life after centuries of extreme pollution and bad treatment. :)

When I do not have the energy and need to read something mindless I have been reading a biography of film star Humphrey Bogart. I always liked him as an actor - sounds like he was quite the no-nonsense guy in real life as well.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

No, it was a book I ran into at the bookstore when I had my holiday gift card in hand. I have always had an interest in British history, and it just sort of jumped out at me. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm 
The UnTitled

The Dark Tower again. :D

--A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:46 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:46 pm 
Lady Scryer

I really like those graphic novels, too. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm 
The UnTitled

LuciMay sent me the first series (in comic form), but those are the only ones, and they didn't expand the story much. Just retold it. Haven't seen them out here yet unfortunately, but if they've come out as graphic novels, I might have a better chance.

Anyway, finished it. Looks like I'm about to reread the Gap series next...can't think of anything else.

--A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:01 am 
Master Pilot

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm 
The UnTitled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Have been trying to read Portrait of a Killer Jack the Ripper Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell, a best selling crime novelist.

It really sucks, though. My children could write something better than this.

The author decided upon one guy (a painter named Walter Sickert) being Jack the Ripper and brings up any tiny bit of circumstantial evidence, no matter how unrelated, to try to prove her case. And she doesn't even glance at any other possible suspects - or most of the real evidence from the crime scenes. :?

At least my kids would know that in writing a research paper you have to try prove any other suspects not guilty and look at actual evidence before circumstantial evidence.

Big time flunk. :td:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 am 
Master Pilot

Hey, I think I saw a program on Discovery a while back about Jack the Ripper that mentioned Cornwell's theory.
If I recall correctly, though, all the experts interviewed on the show dismissed the theory, for the reasons you've stated. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:43 am 
Lady Scryer

I saw one on the Ripper (I think it was on either Discovery or the National Geographic channel) where the guy was trying to prove that the Ripper came over to America when things got too hot for him over in London, and traveled around the country murdering prostitutes. Crazy as that was, it still made more sense and had more evidence than Cornwell. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:25 pm 
The UnTitled

Hahaha, I've read that. Didn't think it was that bad, (not that it was good) but I was reading it as a story...

--A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm 
Lady Scryer

As a crime novel it might work, but not as a factual history. :wink: :lol:

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next