Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: What are you reading in general?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Of all the topics I started on Kevin's Watch this one proved to be the most popular--list anything you're reading; books, magazines, newspapers, the back of cereal boxes! Recommend books to others, write a review, list where your favorite author is appearing and anything that has to do with the entire literary universe! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/28/05 11:08 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: What r u reading in general?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:44 am 
Master Pilot

I'm rereading "The Illearth War" at the moment, but a couple of books came in that I am dying to read:
Stephen King's "Everything's Eventual"
Stephen Baxter's "Manifold Origin"
Marie Jakober's "The Black Chalice"
Christopher Priest's "The Inverted World"
(A lot of reading!) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm so busy working (4 a living) and working on this website I hardly ever make time 2 read lately--but, addict that I am, I'm rereading Neverness--Pof A sent me a beautiful copy from England! On my list r: River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams, The Man Who Fought Alone by S. R. Donaldson, The Pilot's Wife and The Lightstone: the 1st book of Zidell's Ea Cycle (Fantasy) and I think I'm going 2 try some Cherryh--any1 got any suggestions on which C.J. I should read 1st? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 1:50 am 
Master Pilot

Hmm...I have been re-reading TCTC for some time...currently in The Ilearth War.

But I have interrupted that to read a series of John Steinbeck books with a synchronized reading group at Readerville.com. And I am reading James Joyce's Ulysses along with another group at Readerville.

Plus, I am dipping into LOTR.

Think I'm reading too many different things at once?

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 3:39 am 
Master Pilot

Wow! Ulysses is tough going @ times--long book! My fav Steinbeck aside from Grapes is The Pearl. Tortilla Flats and Mice r great 2! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/8/02 8:40:02 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:26 pm 
Master Pilot

James Joyce is one of my favorite writers. He is so clever with language. But you definitely need companion commentary books to get the full impact of his jokes and comments (I currently have too). It also helps to know a bit about his background and the history of Ireland and Europe around the time he was writing.

I have read almost everything Joyce has written.

The exception? Finnegan's Wake, which I haven't yet tackled!

~MsMay~

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:43 pm 
Master Pilot

I should have had those companions in H.S. where i was 4ced 2 read Dubliners--as I remember parts of the book made me want 2 wretch @ times--what do u think of Angela's Ashes, Mary? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I haven't read Angela's Ashes yet, but I would like to. I read a lot about the author and the book when it first came out (gets The NY Times Book Review).

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:21 am 
Master Pilot

Reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons right now and loving every minute of it!! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:16 am 
Master Pilot

I'm re-reading The Mists of Avalon, and when I've finished that I'm going to move on to one of its prequels, Priestess of Avalon. I'm also working my way through Discworld...I'm up to Moving Pictures at the moment.

I also plan to re-read the Ender and/or Shadow series at some point before (or during) EnderCon...but there are so many other books on my To-Be-Read list that I don't know where I'll find the time...

(What a tragedy. Too many books to read. )

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Just to add to the above-mentioned list of books I am "currently" reading:

I just read <i> Lost Boys</i> by Orson Scott Card. It was a very good story. I also read the short story "Lost Boys" which preceded the novel, as I took a collection of OSC short stories out of the library. The collection is called <i> Maps in a Mirror</i> and I highly recommend it. OSc is an outstanding short story writer!

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:56 pm 
Master Pilot

We need an Orson Scott Card thread! Any volunteers? Hint, hint!!! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Consider it done.

I placed it in the Scifi forum, since that is what OSC is best known for.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks! as Amy would say: ttfn! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:38 pm 
Pilot

Well with all these authors I don't know if I can fit in but here goes. I've finished King's; Everything's Eventual. Then went on to Glen Cooks Angry Lead Skies; that's a Garrett Files series and very good. Found a Brian Lumley that somehow I had missed at a Book Exchange called The House of Cthulhu. Now you know I had to grab that one. LOL. Read The Other Boleyn Girl . Sweety pie Henry 8th's, sister in law. The man of the original quickie divorce. Read T. Pratchett's; Dark Side of the Sun but did not like it. Am a confirmed Discworld fan and this one just didn't compare for me. Waiting eagerly for the next novel to appear. Christopher Lee's voice goes through my mind whenever Death speaks. Finished Dragons of the Lost Star and if I did not have so much time invested in that series would not even bother with the last in that trilogy. Who knows I might not. Just started Sea of Swords by R.A. Salavatore; love the Dark Elves world and especially Drizzt Do'Urden. Then I think I'll start Wilbur Smith's; Warlock. Not at all what you lot read I think but it's the stuff I love.
Later; Lady <i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next