Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quentin Tarantino
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:46 am 
Master Pilot

When I first saw Pulp Fiction, my brain thought this is majorally strange, but after watching more than a few times I think this is seriously great (benefits of Premium cable). (FWIW, the scene where Jules (SL Jackson) and Vincent (J. Travolta) are cleaning up the car is very funny, but in a very, very sick way) So now I've seen Jackie Brown and I'm thinking wow this guy has the goods (directorially with Coppola and Welles). Having seen Kill Bill vol. II. I know he is one of the greatest directors there is. And I thought his directing of the CSI finale was great, too.

His films are not for kids, they are seriously violent and maybe a little twisted. Vote my pole and Tarantino.Who is Quentin Tarantino?Quentiin is seriously messed up (he needs to visit Dr. Laura)Is all that violence really necessary?Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (I and II), et al. seriously rock!Show results taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Quentin Tarantino
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:16 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm a big fan of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. The Kill Bill films were pretty Good. Jackie Brown... meh. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Another cool thing about Quentin Tarantino, he used to date Margaret Cho, the comedienne. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:01 am 
Master Pilot

IMO, one of the least funny women on the face of the planet. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Jackie Brown starring Pam Grier, Samuel Jackson, Robert Forster. A very good movie with an excellent soundtrack. However, the first time I saw it the movie seemed totally improbable to me, I just could not believe the scheme Jackie Brown executes to seize all the money for herself could ever work IRL. However, as I watched the film several times over I realized that if one presumes Ardell Robie (Samuel Jackson) is about a dumb as a board, then the scheme becomes believable.

Comments. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 am 
Master Pilot

Loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was entertaining. Jackie Brown... meh. ________________

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Jackie Brown, Robert Forster, Pam Grier, Samuel Jackson, Robert DeNiro, 1997. Since Tower Records is going out of business, and offering discounts on lots of stuff. So I got Collector's Edition of the movie, at about a 30% off. It's a serious treat. One of the special features is a trivia captioning while the movie is running. All the trailers, Ebert and Siskel's review, MTV's interviews, deleted scenes are all a seperate disc. This is seriously good stuff. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:54 pm 
Master Pilot

It is! Congrats!!! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:19 am 
The UnTitled

He's a much better director than actor, and he should stop casting himself.

I joke that he became a director because, as a failed actor, it was the only way he could get a part.

Anyway, yeah, I like his stuff. Pulp fiction was great when I finally got the point, (and yes, that scene is hilarious).

Jackie Brown, I warmed to it after a few viewings. I think it could have been done better though, although I'd have to watch it again to remember how...something about only retelling the important bits from each point of view. Either that, or telling everything from each pov. (But I think that's what happened anyway, so likely the first. )

His short in Four Rooms was good too, for all it was ripped mainly from a Roald Dahl story. Resevoir Dogs...pretty good, but not his best I think.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>