Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re-imangining TV shows
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 am 
Master Pilot

This last weekend I was at WindyCon, and I was a discussion panelist for a session with the above title. The title and potential starting point for our discussion was the new series of BattlStar Galatica, which has been called a 're-imagining' from the 1978 TV series.

During the discussion I mentioned the announced revival of Bionic Woman with David Eick (one of the BSG dudes) as the show runner, and that was met with fairly widespread grousing and disgruntlement. Wondering why? Looking at recent history, Eick and Moore took an old series of some questionable quality and less than respectable reputation, and made it into a serious SFnal drama. Now they're considering a show which, IMO, has a bona-fide solid reputation and bring it into the 21st century. As a point of comparison consider the announced Wonder Woman movie, a TV that had, IMO, at best a questionable reputation and over time gained a campy sense of itself, and the only reason I'm even considering that the movie might have any quality to it is that Joss Whedon is writing and directing the movie. (IOW, without Mr. Whedon's involvement I would think this would be the newest version of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four movie).

Someone else besides me has to be looking forward to a new Bionic woman series, and especially if David Eick is the showrunner. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>