Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anime!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:42 am 
Master Pilot

Does anyone else here like anime or manga? I've recently become addicted to both, so I'm constantly on the lookout for fellow fans.

Anime I've watched so far:

1. Gundam SEED - My current obsession. It's about a war between natural humans and genetically enhanced humans, and the great thing about it is that there's no good or evil. There are characters you love (and characters you hate) on both sides of the war, and it's incredibly sad because they're fighting each other. It has great characters, a great story, and a message I wholeheartedly agree with. What more could you ask for?
2. Video Girl Ai - Probably my favorite of the ones I've watched. To put it bluntly, it's about a love triangle - but the story is told so beautifully that it isn't as cliché as it sounds. It's cute and funny and very, very angsty. I love it so much...
3. Fooly Cooly - The weirdest anime I've seen. It doesn't really have much of a plot (or else the plot is so convoluted that it's almost incomprehensible), and it's full of really random things like robots popping out of people's heads. But it has some adolescent angst (one of my favorite themes) and many funny moments, especially if you like...erm...innuendo.
4. Voices of a Distant Star - A very short (30-minute) movie with excellent animation, especially considering it was made entirely by one guy and his wife on their home computer. It's about the separation caused by long space voyages - very quiet and poignant. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a real ending...
5. His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) - I'm in the middle of this one now and am quite enjoying it. It's a very cute little romantic comedy that's a nice break from all the angsty shows I've been watching lately.

My To-Watch list:

1. Cowboy Bebop - This one has been recommended to me by just about everyone I know who's an anime fan, so I figure I have to watch it.
2. Serial Experiments: Lain
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
4. Trigun
5. The real (unedited) version of Sailor Moon. I used to love that show as a kid, and I've only recently found out that it was heavily edited to make it "suitable" for American kids. (Don't get me started on that subject - they're doing the same thing to Gundam SEED (which is not a kids' show to begin with) and it's really pissing me off. :"> ) So of course, I want to see what they took out.

As for manga, I've only read the first volumes of Paradise Kiss and Mars, both of which I liked. My to-read list includes the rest of those series, plus the manga version of Video Girl Ai.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

Post subject: Another good series
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:52 pm 
Pilot

Blue Submarine No. 6, also similarly complicated, morally. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Another good series
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Cowboy Bebop, TriGun, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Inu Yasha... all good. The feature lengths are usually pretty good. Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D (heard bloodlust was better), Spirited Away, etc. If you like D&D kind of stuff, Record of Lodoss War was good.

Good anime site...
www.aniworlds.com/animeja...95f6220b31
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Another good series
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:52 am 
Pilot

Well, I've always been a fan of Japanese animation, but I only really got into it recently, after I started reading a couple of manga-style webcomics. I've watched a little Gundam wing and Tenchi Muyo on TV, but really cos it's the only ones that get shown, heh.
ATM, I'm in the middle of downloading episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I'm up to Episode 7, but it takes at least 6/7 hours to download a single episode, and I don't go online often, so it takes three or four days for me to get each.
Oh, and I have the Animatrix on DVD. For some reason I keep watching 'Beyond'. <i></i>

Post subject: Cowboy Bebop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I just finished watching the whole Cowboy Bebop series, including the movie.

Wow! I am totally addicted. The story line is interesting, the characters really engage you and the artwork is beautiful. Plus, the music is really great.

Now, I am going back to re-watch it.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Cowboy Bebop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:01 am 
Lady Scryer

I have not seen Cowboy Bebop yet (though I have heard great things) but I have to admit I absolutely love the movies I have seen, such as Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service. Those movies blow anything Disney has released in recent years right out of the water (though I do love the Pixar movies). The one non-family anime production I have seen is the Animatrix, and I think that is very well done as well. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>