Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Highly overrated (movies, music, books, TV shows)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:27 pm 
Master Pilot

OK, I'm inviting some skerewing of scared cows. (and if somone wants to trash BtVS, go ahead).

I'll use two as examples since, I know folks have varying degrees of feeling about these two. First, NYPD Blue, Steve Bochco and associates, proven TV writers, BUT from the beginning I think they relied to much on the shock value of Andy's use of language and showing of previously concealed body parts (including Andy's derrier). To live up to their promise. However, Blue became a soap opera of Andy's personal life and one would very likely forget that it was supposed to be a "detective drama". (maybe the well known TV phrase jump the shark is far more appropriate.

second example to follow. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 7/20/05 11:05 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: vastly overrated (movies, music, books, TV shows)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Braveheart. Example #2. Mel Gibson once again proving he's just barely an adequate actor. Way to much violence, and much of it is very gratuitous and added for not much else than shock value. Did anyone know there are various comentators and pundits who recommend this movie for childern to see? (Unbelievable) IMO, see and compare to Dances with wolves to compare what a really good movie should be like. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

I like Braveheart, though the violence is too much for my tummy to handle in places. (yuck)

I do not understand why anyone would think that it would be appropriate for a child to watch (unless, perhaps the child is in his or her late teens). That's plain crazy in my eyes... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess, I have three examples for Braveheart. Conservative commentators, Dennis Prager and Michael Medved (both formerly based out of the Los Angeles are, both big promoters of the idea of the US as Christian nation founded on Christain principles). Mr. Prager has been syndicated on radio for about 8 or 9 years and is an occasional guest on Larry King. Michael Medved is sometimes a guest commentator on CNN, and he has been syndicated on radio for 6 or 8 yrs. and was formerly one of the movie reviewers on PBS's At the movies. And my cousin who lives in Glendora, California and is very conservative. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, unfortunately, people who go ballistic at the thought of bare breasts seem to think that any amount of gore and violence is OK for even little children to watch. A conservative friend of mine took her kids to see Passion of the Christ and was not willing to leave the theater even though her kids kept running to the bathroom in tears. She thought it was somehow good to traumatize them in such a way. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: vastly overrated situation comedies
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:26 am 
Master Pilot

Ok, this will deflate many sacred cows. Any situation comedy that does not have a story premise, the examples are the recent plethora of comedies that are based on a successful standup comedian's (comediene's) routine and that's the sole premise and basis of the series. IOW, if there is no story to tell, there is no basis for drama or continuing comedy. One of the first was Roseanne, because my knowledge of the show's genesis is some big time suits saw her stand up routine and how hugely popular she was and they said 'there must be a comedy series there', well maybe or not. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 7/16/05 5:31 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: vastly overrated situation comedies
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:05 pm 
Master Pilot

So are you saying Roseanne and Seinfeld weren't good? ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

Post subject: Re: highly overrated situation comedies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:38 pm 
Master Pilot

OK, before everyone gets their hackles all raised and their flamethrowers out, because I know how people love Seinfeild and Roseanne. The subject here is "overrated" texts and pieces, not necessarily bad. As to my own tastes I have not liked, loved and enjoyed a TV situation comedy since MASH went off the air in the early 1980s, and I got to enjoy watching Family ties and Golden girls in their syndication periods, I also got to watching Murphy Brown right before its cancellation. IMhO, I agree with the four guys in King of the hill, Seinfield is just a show about nothing. And maybe this is an age thing or a geography thing, IME most fans of the modern situation comedies are usually much younger than me and were raised east of the Mississippi.

However, I believe these shows do shine as a collection of jokes and oftentimes excellent and very, very funny jokes. For example, one of the most well known episodes of Seinfield, is a collection of jokes about self-pleasuring (to put it very euphenistically). FWIW, this explains my viewing pattern when I see these shows, I'll find myself watching until a scene or commericial break and then move on to something else. There does not seem to be a story to hold my interest over a break in the action.

So if you still feel the need to barbecue me, get your fire starting devices at the ready. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 7/20/05 11:42 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: highly overrated movies according to Premier
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:10 am 
Master Pilot

Premier a magazine about movies and movie business has put out their list of the 20 most over rated movies list. This list was compiled by Premier and its editors, I may agree with a few of their choices. lets talk about this list
2001; a space oddysey
American Beauty
A beautiful mind
American in Paris
Chariots of Fire
Chicago
Clerks
Easy rider
Fantasia
Forest Gump
Field of dreams
Gone with the wind
Goodwill Hunting
Jules et Jim
Monster's ball
Moonstruck
Mystic river
Nashville
Red shoes 1948
Wizard of Oz

The list is given in quasi alphabetical order and the order has no relation to any relative merit or lack of same. AFAIK, this list is in the current issue of the magazine. For each movie listed there's an accompanying commentary about why it's listed and a rebuttal commentary concerning why the given movie does not deserve this dishonor. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 8/8/05 12:58 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:55 am 
Lady Scryer

Monster's Ball is, hands down, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I was amazed that it won awards. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:39 am 
Pilot

My brother adores Field of Dreams but honestly I don't see much of the appeal.

Easily the most overrated recent films would be (imo) The Matrix (had no interest in seeing the sequels) and the 'new' Star Wars trilogy. Oh, and The Mummy. Dreck.

But then, I also did not like Forrest Gump. Stupidity, imo, is not something to enshrine as something wise and wonderful. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: highly overrated rock music
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Highway to Heaven, Led Zepplin from Led Zepplin IV. OMG, there are better pieces than HtH on that album. If I hear one more Rock radio station poll that polls this as the greatest RnR song of all time, it may be time to do some violence. It's truly an example of overplayed and overrated. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Post subject: Stairway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:36 pm 
Master Pilot

It's called Stairway to Heaven and I agree it's very highly overrated. They played that song constantly on the radio when I was a sophomore in HS--I grew sick of it very quickly. I don't know why it's so popular, maybe it's it's mellow subject matter, materialism--I have no idea---I do know that, back in the day one of the reasons DJs played it was because it was kinda long (like Inagaddavida and I'm Your Captian) so they could go select albums, work, make out or go <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Highway, Stairway, pffft. I was reading about AC/DC before writing the message, so maybe my brain got fixated on Highway. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:00 am 
Lady Scryer

While I do like some of their songs, I have always thought Nirvana to be highly overrated...

Is it just the sorrow surrounding the death of one of the members that elevates them to the status they currently hold, or am I just missing something? ******************************************************

<i></i>