[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Used bookstores

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Used bookstores
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:18 am 
Master Pilot

I will talk about my personal experience with two used bookstores that have gained my patronage.

Locally. In Palatine Illinois there is TopShelf Books. According to what I've been told they've been in business since about 1997 or so. According to their own information they are the biggest used store in the area. The owner who I've talked to frequently is very knowledgable. And as a bonus their SF and Fantasy section is very well stocked.

Not so local. Bookman in Tustin, California. One of the largest used bookstores in the US. HUGE inventory. Has a seperate massmarket pbk section. Their SF and F section is large and well stocked, but I would match it to the local store of TopShelf Books. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Used bookstores
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

We have a couple of cool used book stores in the area, both in Ann Arbor. One is called Dave's Books, and the other is called the Dawntreader. I don't get to visit them very often, though, as the parking in the downtown/campus area is so very tight... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Used bookstores
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:39 pm 
Master Pilot

I really miss having a good used bookstore within a reasonable distance of my home.

*sigh* "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Used bookstores
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:18 am 
Master Pilot

In another thread I read where there's some opinion that even used prices on books are higher than expected (the opinion is from someone not in the U.S., so this could be a country based circumstance). However, my local used bookstore, Top Shelf Books in Palatine, IL, some times has a deal where you pay $25.00 and you get credit worth $50.00 in the store it's a good deal, and I have used the credit for all sorts of stuff like gifts for people I know.

W/T are forever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am 
The UnTitled

Haha, that was me. :D

Yeah, for some ununderstandable reason, SA has a 100% import duty on books.

Now a decent (thick) 2nd book in reasonably good condition usually runs about the equivalent of $6-7. Which doesn't seem a lot, but in my currency, that's quite a bit that I really should be spending on things I need more. :lol: (Yes, it appers there are things I need more than books, but I'm not sure why yet. ;) )

A new Terry Pratchett paperback for example, costs me the equivalent of $20 or so.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:57 am 
The UnTitled

I like chaos as long as its barely organised. :lol: I need the books to be split into categories at least. Hate those places weher everything is just lined up and you have to look at everything to see if there is anything decent. I need a sci-fi section, a fantasy one, etc etc.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I haven't found a decent used bookstore here in Gator Town, although I'm sure there's one somewhere. However, our local Friends of the Library volunteer group holds a huge five day booksale twice a year. On the fourth day everything is half price (which ranges from about quarter to about $2.50, except for the rare works), and on the fifth day everything sells for a quarter each (the rare book section is closed off on that day). An attempt is made to categorize the offerings, but it is such a madhouse with flea market resellers coming in that items do get reshuffled.

But it is still worth going to.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:35 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 am 
The UnTitled

Post subject: Used books
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:31 am 
Master Pilot

Not my point to rain on Menolly's parade. Library book sales, great in theory, and I've even been known to donate items to the sale; IME, seldom has anything I'd care to take home, even for $1.00. In the States, there's a new national chain, based out of Texas, of used bookstores , there'll relatively new.

W/T are forever