Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sex and the City
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:17 am 
Lady Scryer

After being warned for years not to watch it, as the warners thought it was "too racy", for me to handle, I finally started watching the first season of Sex and the City on dvd this morning.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Well, so far anyway. The first half of the first season is great. It's always possible that this might be one of those shows that starts out strong and then shoots itself in the foot later on, though. I certainly hope that it won't be.

The show is telling the story of four single women approaching middle age who live and work in Manhattan. Well, actually, other than the competition with super models for available single men, they could be four women who live and work in any large American city.

They certainly would fit right in with most of my single female friends who have reached a certain age here in Ann Arbor. They date, mate, and then come back into the group for consolation when things do not work out. They then talk about men and come up with new strategies for the war that can be dating.

I am really enjoying it very much because these women are so much like some of my friends.

It is pretty racy, but no worse than the talks my friends and I sit down and have. Maybe the show is even a little tamer than real life in that aspect.

Lots of nudity and naughtiness, for those who might be bothered by such images.

I have been finding this show very funny and sexy so far.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sex and the City
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:03 am 
Lady Scryer

I've been slowly watching my way through the second season. What a funny show! Calibaby has even caught an episode here and there as I have been watching it, and he also gets a real hoot out of it. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:11 am 
Lady Scryer

Nearly done with the third of six seasons now, and am still delighted. It might definately be highly offensive to some people, though, so try it out with care! Lots of swearing and nudity and sexual situations. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess, glad you liked this series. It was a popular one on HBO, that's for sure.

OK, here's an off the wall question. Do you consider the amount of nudity and general graphic adult content the most extreme you've seen? Asking, because some folks I know around the Chicago burbs, have told me this is the most 'adult' program ever. The few times I watched it, it seemed pretty tame and really very much in line with most cable offerings (Sopranos, Carnivale). However, when my parents watched it based on their neighbor's recommendation (the neighbor had taped the episodes and lent my folks the tapes), they were completely put off by the language and not so much by the nudity. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I do not have any premium channels, so I don't really feel that I am qualified to judge this show against other shows made by HBO or other pay-premium type channels.

The only other HBO show I have seen is the mini-series Band of Brothers, and the soldiers do use the "f" word, and there are complaints about that in the viewer reviews at Amazon. I dunno -- I think combat when you see a friend being killed is a pretty natural time to use the "f" word.

The people who told me I would hate the show did say it was because of the language. The girls use rather graphic sexual slang...

There is also full frontal female nudity, and full backside male nudity in some episodes. And simulated sex acts, with the pertinent organs not shown. Not sure if that would equal an "R" rating or something stronger at the movies these days? ******************************************************

<i></i>