Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Future of libraries
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:29 pm 
Master Pilot

n
OK, most everyone has heard someone in the last few years wail on and caterwaul about the current state of libraries; for example, culling of inventories from shelfs and selling that stock, lack of sufficient budgeting for collection expansion, expansion of computer services, etc. Some of this whinging even comes from librarians.

So a while ago I read these comments on-line and said person stated what are the purpose of libraries, anyway? (FWIW, much of this discussion may only apply to public libraries) Easy access to information and knowledgde and the way of providing access to both those types of mentality is becoming increasingly digital. Consider the paragon and pinnacle of all references the OED, due to the daunting nature of the logistics this work will probably never be published as a bound in paper form again (IOW, all future editions will be digital only). So libraries in order fulfil their mission change and become increasingly digitalized. This commentator is not avocating the wholesale and wanton throwing out of the books, he's pointing out that libraries do not exist to enshrine, idolize and fetishize an old mode of information storage and access (books).

Consider the library's card catalog, the library's heart, since not being able to let the patrons know a thing is available is not much better than it not existing at all. All wonderfully digitized, now. The funky cabinets with their funny little pull out drawers and their intriguing little card file records all gone.

I'm not sure how I feel about this? I love books and their physicality. BUT, I understand, sympathize and even agree with a few of this fellows points. (this message has nothing to do with cats or BtVS, but I love those two emoticons)

taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Future of libraries
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think that there will always be a place for books. Maybe because I'm a middle aged old fart with both eyesight and hearing going, but I would rather sit and read a book than either try to read something on a screen (eye strain -- I have even been known to print out long posts to read them on paper) or listen to a book on CD pretty much anytime.

That said, there does seem to be a budget crunch. Libraries have to pay for the new technology, such as computers. The ones around here have videos you can check out, as well as books. So they have all of those tapes -- and now technology is shifting so much towards dvd's. So there really is a lot less money available for new book aquisition. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>