[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - MASH

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MASH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:56 am 
Lady Scryer

Taras will be proud of me. I'm actually talking about a television series.
I used to watch MASH back in high school and college. That was a looooooong time ago.

Recently I have been catching reruns on satellite tv when I get home from work, from 12:30AM to 1AM. Damn, I had forgotten how good this series was.

I actually like the later characters better than some of the original ones -- Charles more than Frank, Honeycutt more than Trapper, Potter more than Stevens. And, of course, the ones who were there for the bulk of the series like Radar, Klinger, Margaret, the good Father, and Hawkeye are a class group all the way.

Margaret is a good example of how much that series grew and changed over time. She was originally a very one-note character, a bitchy brassy blonde who functioned as little more than Frank's sidekick. She eventually developed into a very vulnerable yet strong woman, worthy of her high military rank.

Another great thing about that show was the great attention they gace to little details. Take Klinger for an example. I live about forty miles from his "hometown", the rustbelt city of Toledo, Ohio. The Mud Hens really are Toledo's minor league baseball team. And the restaurant he always talks about really is there -- I've eaten there and the food is pretty good. It's decorated with autographed hot dog buns -- one of them from the guy who played Klinger.
<i></i>

Post subject: MASH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:03 am 
Lady Scryer

I completely blanked out on the name of the restaurant in Toledo. It's called Tony Packo's.

And above I mentioned I like Potter more than Stevens. That should have been I like Potter more than Blake. I'm not sure why my brain came up with Stevens, other than I need a vacation. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: MASH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:57 am 
Master Pilot

duchy: it's easy to see why you made that association: McLean Stevenson played Henry Blake--go to bed, as I must *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/27/05 12:01 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:49 pm 
Master Pilot

MacClean(spelling) Stevenson who played Col. Henry Blake left the series after two years, because he believed he was destined to play greater roles than a second string straight man and he felt the role was to much of a type casting thing. One knows that Larry Gelbart (genious TV and movie writer, Tootsie, Sid Ceasar's Show of Shows, movie version of MASH) was one of writers who came up with the idea of making the movie a TV series. I am such a geek for this show, and it may almost match my BtVS geekiness. There was a time in the very early 1980s, when I started with my old company, and new MASHs were being shown and syndicated reruns were being shown in the early evening, and my Monday (the day the series was being shown on its network CBS) schedule was completely revolved around the these showings.

IMO, this might be the GREATEST situation comedy ever made. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've been trying to think about which one my favorite episode might be. There are many good ones to pick from. The one that showed them racing against the clock, with the little clock on screen for the whole episide was a good one. The one where the guy who came back to eventually play Potter was a guest star as a nutso officer was great (he was so funny, and worked so well with the other cast members, I have always wondered if that is why he was later brought back as Potter), The long final episode, of course. Perhaps my favorite one was the one with Charles and the maimed pianist. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:30 pm 
Master Pilot

I really like the one where Potter and his officer buddy turn the prankster tables on Hawk and B.J. and the buddy fakes a heart attack at the end. The one where Hawk has a headwound and has to stay with and communicate with the Korean family is very poignant. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

They showed the long series finale a couple of nights ago. Man, that is such a good episode. All of the cast gets a chance to shine in that one.

It's been on the Hallmark channel, of all places -- in the middle of the night. I get home about 12:30AM and its on. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I have this somewhat complicated and convoluted (somewhat, psychological) theory about why folks might or might not adore this show. I have more than a few friends who think the show is amusing, but do not idolize it like I do. (IOW, they think the show is the same as Friends, Cheers, Family Ties or Mary Tyler Moore).

However, I have a few other friends who think that the series in its later years really, over idealized the character of Hawkeye. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:48 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:00 am 
The UnTitled

I watched a few of them...was a bit too young at the time. Mainly remember the guy who wore a dress.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:31 pm 
The UnTitled

Don't blame him at all. :lol:

--A