Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: War of the Worlds (2005 release) -- spoilers
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

I went to see War of the Worlds today. I thought it to be a pretty good updating of the classic Wells story (from what I remember of the book which I did read some years ago, the narrator quotes it pretty much verbatim at the beginning and end of the movie).

The special effects (usually pretty important in a science fiction movie) were pretty good. The tripods were genuinely creepy and threatening. I'm not sure if the scale of them will translate well to the little screen, so I am glad I did make the effort to see this one at a movie theater.

The little girl was pretty good for a child actress/actor. I thought she stole the movie from Tom Cruise, in fact. Though I am no fan of Tom Cruise, so take anything I say about him with a grain of salt.

My primary complaint is that there were contunuity glitches in the plot that were distracting to me. For instance -- if all electronics are disbaled, how are people able to use their cameras and camcorders to film the tripods? And why can't anyone else figure out how to get cars/vehicles running other than Tom Cruise and the US military?

However, those are minor quibbles, and I did enjoy the movie. It was good to see a modern updating of an old classic. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 8/14/05 3:11 pm
</i>