Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chick flick?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:59 am 
Master Pilot

:"> Ezboard ate my old thread!!!

To recap --
Chick flick = any film that does not have lots and lots of explosions nor massive car chases. Therefore, the definition includes Beaches, Conact, Annie Hall, Carrington, Silence of the Lambs. IMO, this is not the same definition that might have applied 30 or so years ago.

Are their Chick TV shows? For example, I loathed Cheers, and the only people I know who really liked it were women. IME, the situation with Northern Exposure was nearly identical.

On the topic of Chick flicks, can someone explain Desperately seeking susan to me? Saw it many yrs ago, but i never got it; however the lady I saw it with thought it was one of the funniest movies ever. To truly enjoy this movie does one have to believe that Madonna looks like Roseanne Arquette? (FWIW, they do not look alike)

BTW, this parallels a thread on KW. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 6/10/05 4:01 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Chick flick?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

Desperately Seeking Susan is cool to a lot of women because they feel trapped in the same sort of life that Arquette had in the movie. She breaks her way out and finds some fun, and a lot of women secretly long for fun and freedom in their lives. Not just women -- men, too can feel trapped in a marriage and job and family life where there isn't enough time or space (or money, though not in Arquette's case in the movie) to just have fun. It's sort of a fantasy where you can run away from your responsibilities...

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:22 pm 
Master Pilot

I've met very few people that were into Northern Exposure. An ex of mine got me into it (she and her dad were both fans). Only other person I know is Fist. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 pm 
Master Pilot

..oh and I'm not? (you haven't been paying close enough attn! ) Ed is my hero! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:56 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry, danlo. Mine, too. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:57 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo, buddy!? You had posted a fairly long message on this topic not to long before the hack attack, and would it be possible for you to attempt to redo it? TIA, bud. As I faintly remember it was right to the point and covered many items.
Danlo, if you got the time and can make a try? taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:06 am 
Master Pilot

Blues Bros.. Now, I know why John Landis had Carrie Fisher blow up Elwood's (D. Ackyroyd) SRO, Ackyroyd, Belushi, and Landis wanted to be sure we did think this movie was some wimpy :p chick flick. And starting the movie with the semi car chase of when Elwood guns the new Bluesmobile over the south branch drawbridge. Everyone making the movie is shouting "THIS AIN'T NO CHICK FLICK!" taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>