Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Babylon 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:17 am 
Master Pilot

As you all know already, I do love Buffy. But...IMO, the best epiodic scifi type show on in recent history was J. Michael Strazcynski's Babylon 5 series. A series that combined the elements of good writing into one piece. One part space opera, one part political intrigue, one part philosophy depth, all parts good.

Remember any particularly good episodes. Good scenes. Were you spoiled while the series was on? Or was each episode a surprise for you?
lets talk Babylon 5. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Babylon 5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:32 am 
Master Pilot

Since I've completed my beginning fiction class and I am now in my literature class, I am thinking about critical reasons why Babylon 5 was so good. Let me just establish a bona fide up front, I love the Trekverse, TOS, TNG, DS9 were IMO, very good series.

Lets talk characters, ST-TOS, one want to think of characters that were more static. Kirk, McCoy, Scott almost none of them changed at all during the three years the series ran on TV. Of course, that was more the norm on US episodic TV in those days than not. TNG, also, had very little character change during its run 80s, and one needs to go to DS9 before you can see Trekverse characters change.

Babylon 5, dynamic characters, one could say J. Michael Strazycnski by showing his inherent talents as a writer made characters that changed and grew during the series run and in response to the events in the series. IMO, probably the characters who grew and changed the most were Mr. Garibaldi (Jerry Doyle) and G'Kar (Andreas Kastulas)

One of the basics of good writing and good story telling is having characters that change, it tends to reflect and coincide with our experiences with people.

Well, my opinion YMMV taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>