Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: X-files
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:48 am 
Master Pilot

OK, here's one I thought about for awhile, and decided to go for it!!

lets discuss X-files (1993 - 2002). Was it a sf series, or was it just a bunch of crazy and silly stuff dreamed up by a former staff writer of a surfing magazine. Here's one statistic that is non-deniable, until this shows ascendancy the highest rated series in the history of the Fox network was Married with childern. There was even a theatrical movie made.

I am sure Foamfollower 1013 will have something to say. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: X-files
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes Foamy def will--I didn't watch it much but thought Anderson was a stone fox. Watched the movie at the theater--entertaining, but just a long episode, really... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:02 pm 
Pilot

It was an SF series with a Fortean slant. But I have to say, the best episodes were the stand-alones and it really only got tedious with all it's 'mythology' episodes

Gillian Anderson was nice, shame about the single she released <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:40 am 
Master Pilot

Wow...I haven't thought about The X-Files for a long time. I still love it, but I haven't had time for it since school started.

The best thing about The X-Files can be summed up in two words: Mulder and Scully. The chemistry between those two is just amazing. And I loved watching their relationship slowly evolve over the course of the series. At the beginning of the pilot episode, he regarded her with distrust and she regarded him with curiosity, but something clicked between them right away when they met. They quickly became partners in more than just name. Then they became friends...best friends...and they grew to love and trust each other more than anyone else on earth. But they were both afraid to express their feelings, so they hovered on the very edge of "more than friends" for years...until finally, sometime in season 7, they took the plunge and became lovers...

I love watching the two of them together because they can convey so much with their eyes, or with little expressions of concern for each other. And I love their banter, and I love all the great moments between them...there are too many to name...

And I could go on about them for pages - describing my favorie scenes in detail, ranting about how horrible seasons 8 and 9 were, and even giving my theory as to how and when William was conceived - but I doubt any of you would be interested in reading that.

This concludes my longest post at the Hangar in about five months.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Foam, welcome to the Manifold under new management.

X-files agreeing with you about the Mulder (David Duchovony) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) dynamic. Do you share the opinion that having Mulder and Scully ultimately get together, was part of what put X-files onto the skids? And feel free to speculate away about anything you want about the X-files, I'm sure just about everyone would like to hear it.

IMO, one of the most pointed and touching Mulder/Scully scenes is a scene that does not even have Mulder in it. This scene occurs in an episode after Scully was sick, and she is talking to a like a therapist type, and she tells how much it meant to have Mulder's strength and courage to pull her through her illness. (No, I do not remember episode name or even what season it was in. I am real bad about that kind of stuff, even with Buffy and Angel) And another one around that same time, when Scully is still in the hospital and Mulder comes to see her and she's laying there asleep and he comes to the bedside gently takes her hand and lays his head on the sheet beside her. (big sap I am, these two scenes get to me just writing about them)

But ultimately, does not all this stuff (Books, movies, TV shows, relie on how we as the participating consumers) come down to stories about relationships among people. Joss Whedon has said 'My shows are about relationships and emotions, and love is the most dangerous emotion'. Looking back on other things, in LotR would we feel the same way if we did not care about the hobbits and their life in the Shire, or if we care nothing about if Aragorn would claim his birthright. And I do not think I am saying everything is reduced to soap opera melodrama. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/21/04 2:07 pm
</i>