Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: butting in again!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:13 pm 
Pilot

Your discussion about the <i> 'wrong'</i> side of the road peaked my interest ~ check out www.travel-library.com/general/driving/ ... _side.html

btw King Theoden, I think you're correct about the hand shaking ~ I've been told that the custom of shaking hands was to show that they were unarmed.

Thanks for the tip on <i> Shipping News</i> Danlo, it sounds interesting, I like the cast!

-Coercri <i>Edited by: Coercri2 at: 6/20/02 4:22:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:18 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Coercri2! That is a fascinating link! All this time, I thought that we were in the minority in driving on the right, but by the map, it would seem that most of the world drives on the right (the big exceptions being The UK and Australia; South Africa, India, and Japan). Really interesting. Thanks!</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:03 pm 
Master Pilot

yes thanks coercri .. now I know that we sensible types drive on the left .. to leave our right hand free for swordplay and the like!! .. as one would health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:39 pm 
Master Pilot

Or whatever! Swordplay my butt! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:41 am 
Master Pilot

I wouldnt recommend sword play with ur butt danlo!! .. something sure to get lopped off!!

.. It would appear that we left side drivers .. are by very nature prepared to defend our selves and our wards under any circumstance .. that in but a second we can have our swords whipped out and at the ready

.. how clever that the majority of us are right handed and drive on the left!!

.. condolences to those who have to struggle to get their swords out to do battle on the opposite side than they are used to .. unless ofcourse .. americans are all left handed .. which would explain why you journey on the right! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:56 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Nay, the majority of Americans are not southpaws! (Not wanting to be the butt of the joke) </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:19 pm 
Master Pilot

mmm .. southpaws???? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:13 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Sorry, American term for "left-handed" (comes from baseball). I don't have my Brewers here with me, but it seems that in baseball parks, the pitcher faces north (toward the batter), and if he is pitches left-handed, he delivers from the south? Don't really remember how the thing goes. Anyway, it means left-handed. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

King's right the majority of us r righthanded but from ur vantage point it may appears we r lefthanded since everything we do seems 2 b backwards 2 u Sky! It's been my lifedream 2 go 2 Australia, as u kno--and I always thought the 1st thing that would facsinate me south of the equator would b the strange and new constellations--but the 1st thing I really want 2 do is 2 verify that ur toilets really do flush conterclockwise 2 ours... How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/26/02 10:28:03 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:22 am 
Master Pilot

sleeping quarters for you and the Lady Tamara have already been assigned!!! take your pick .. do you want to go out on a limb?? .. .. or are you happy to sleep inside with the rest of us??? health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Windtalkers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:30 pm 
Master Pilot

run, do not walk 2 c this movie! John Woo action scenes r amazing--as r per4mances by Nicholas Cage and Adam Beach! Roger Willie who played George Whitehorse is already my vote 4 Best Supporting Actor--great soundtrack by James Horner! How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/27/02 4:37:56 pm
</i>

Post subject: Minority Report
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:27 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, Stephen R. Donaldson appeared 2 like Minority Report, while on the other hand Foamy told me that she was so grossed out she walked out of the theater. I really didn't think it was so gross, xcept 4 mayb the eyeballs--but what the eye surgery symbolizes is the lack of totally human privacy in the future, vis a vis constant retinal scans. Which r not that far over the hill, btw. I felt that the movie was an amazing effort! The special effects were the best I've ever seen, bar none. It is probably nescessary 2 c this film twice as the multitude of effects is a bit overwhelming. 2 understand Minority Report better u need 2 have seen Blade Runner and Total Recall. They show other aspects of the "cyperpunk" future (c Gibson topic 4 more on that). The author of all 3 stories that these movies r based on is Philip K. Dick and he is consistantly touting conspriacy theories, individual privacy issues, anti-governmental control and a whole lot of other even more subtle issues in all his work. The movies (and books) Brave New World and Farenheit 451 r somewhat analogous 2 those trains of thought. Like Vanilla Sky, the flash of almost 2 much information and Tom Cruise's hip, slick and cool film persona tend 2 occulde what really going on. Re: Vanilla Sky, for instance, I really didn't kno what 2 make of the movie the 1st time I saw it. I sort of said "Yeah, it was really cool, but what is it?", when I saw it the 2nd time not only did it make sense but when the "flash haze" melted off Cruise's per4mance totally blew me away. MR hits all the right buttons, there's definately never a dull moment, and 4 the wide cinematic range of emotions, control and physical agility required Cruise is the right man 4 the job. Like Ford in Blade Runner, Willis in The Fifth Element and Reeves in The Matrix he "becomes" the role. I do think, however u need 2 c it twice 2 really appreciate it--2 get past the cool. When The Empire Strikes Back 1st hit the theather, ages ago, I tought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread--but then when I saw it the 2nd time it was 3xs better! MR bridges the gap btween now and the world of The Fifth Element and one of it's few drawbacks, aside from some grossness (Foamy!), is that it really leaves u hungry 4 more-like u want 2 know how the precogs were found, developed, trained and explore more of their complex ethical issues. It made me impatient! I want 2 live in that future now! I want 2 drive that awesome Lexus! I want 2 train genetically enhanced plants 2 wrap around door 2 door solicitors and thieves and toss them off my property! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

Post subject: Men in Black II
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:02 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Well, I saw MIB 2 tonight. The dog is hilarious, and there were a few laughs otherwise, but not a super film. (IMHO)</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/6/02 7:49:51 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Men in Black II
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:33 pm 
Master Pilot

I saw MIB 2 tonight!! .. and I loved it .. someone told me it wasnt as good as MIB 1 .. but I felt is was equal to it in every way .. It was funny .. the special effects were excellent .. the dog was great .. the old characters they brought back worked .. Did anyone recognise the geek in the video store as the same guy that worked in the Morgue .. in MIB 1??

I was sure it was the same guy ..

I love Tommy Lee Jones and Wil Smith together .. they make a great team .. TLJ ..is so funny .. very dry .. just love him .. and Wil Smith .. was good .. maybe not as funny as in MIB1 .. just a tad ..

I cant wait to get it on video .. or dvd .. health and healing<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/6/02 7:50:33 am
</i>

Post subject: Imposter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:56 pm 
Master Pilot

I just rented a <i> very</i> cool movie: Imposter, based on another P.K. Dick short story! So, what do we have so far?
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Screamers
New Rose Hotel
Imposter
Minority Report
and the soon 2 b released A Scanner Darkly
I'm sure I'm missing something since they seem 2 adapt Dick's stories faster than I can keep up w/them! Anyway Imposter was very well done tho it obviously didn't get the attention @ the theater that Minority Report did...great effects on Earth--especially the energy domes and the "data spools", killer action scenes-only drawback was the alien space craft looked a <i> little</i> cheesy--but easy 2 get past that! Very good acting jobs from (producer) Gary Sinise, Madeline Stowe and Vincent Di' Onfirio. It's sorta Logan's Run w/a few wild twists thrown in there. The plot, in a nutshell-hopefully w/o spoiling, is set in the "after Total Recall" world when Alpha Centuri is discovered thus, REALLY, pissing off the Centurians who r stopping, at no cost, 2 get rid of earth, the Centurians are smarter than us, but also more ruthless. They send a single scoutship 2 earth, during this war, equipped w/a "bio-clone" robot, who has a nuclear device in it's inards, 2 kill and assume the identity of one of Earth's top defense researchers in order 2 get 2 the leader of the Earth Defense Force. If this "robot" goes off it will kill her and about 100,000 along w/her. One reviewer called Impostor, The Fugitive gone hi-tech" and I agree. Well, if I go any futher I <i> will</i> b spoiling--suffice 2 say that I <i> really</i> enjoyed this flick and it was probably the best $3 I've ever spent! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/13/02 6:41:35 pm
</i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next