Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quiggley Down Under--and Westerns!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:41 pm 
Master Pilot

This post can certainly be answered by anyone, but I thought maybe Sky or others from Australia might have seen Quiggley Down Under with Tom Selleck and could comment on the authenticity of the portrayal of the bushmen in that film. It's set in the late 1800s (I think); it's certainly a western. Has that tremendously gifted "bad guy" from Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/04 1:52 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Quiggley Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:44 pm 
Master Pilot

There's a great old flim by the fantastic director Peter Weir and probably the best per4mance by Richard Chamberlian since The Thorn Birds (another cinematic endevour set in OZ) called The Last Wave that does a very good job (from my limited perspective) of realistically protraying the Bushmen. It is also a VERY freaky movie! Scared the bejesus oo me! Walkabout is another great "set in Australia" film. Nothing tops Chambelrian's per4mance in Shogun tho...imho! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/4/02 8:42:20 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:56 am 
Master Pilot

I will check out The Last Wave as soon as possible. The Bushmen have always interested me. I feel as much sympathy for them as I do for the Native Americans. Thanks, Danlo. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/04 1:53 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:44 pm 
Master Pilot

R u talking about Alan Rickman who played the Sheriff of Nottingham King? (oh @#%$ Sky! Thanks!) Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/4/02 10:02:00 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:56 pm 
Master Pilot

the guy with the L and the N in his name not the D and the M .. ALaN Rickman .. is this who you mean danlo???

Actually that movie rings a bell but I cant recall much of it .. I will see if I can get it out .. and watch it ..

Aboriginals in this country are as diverse as American Indians .. I think from memory WalkAbout is a good film .. I am sure I have seen that one and enjoyed it. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:28 am 
Master Pilot

Yes, that's the guy! Great bad guy whenever he plays one! You really ought to take a look at the movie, Danlo (if you like westerns at all). Thanks for providing the name. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/04 1:53 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:32 am 
Master Pilot

I do like westerns! King c my fav: The Hi Lo Country! Will check out Quigqley! I love the line from Conagher where Selleck is riding w/the old man and he says, "Well, I guess I'm safe..he didn't kill me today..." and the old man says, "Day ain't over yet..." Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/18/02 3:45:20 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:14 pm 
Master Pilot

And Conagher is one of MY favorite movies! "When I take a man's money, I ride for the brand." Super movie! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/04 1:54 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Ever c Silverado? Shot in NM, btw! Great cast--Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner, Scott Glenn. Very funny--John Cleese as the bad guy! Very good western btw! Here r a few of my fav old time westerns: Red River, The Stalking Moon, Tom Horn, Jeramiah Johnson (bonus pts. if u can name the stars of these 4 movies!)--I even liked the newer Virginian w/Bill Pullman! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/18/02 3:49:32 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:17 am 
Master Pilot

Well, I know 3 of them:
Red River-John Wayne
Tom Horn-Steve McQueen's last movie (I think)
Jeremiah Johnson-Robert Reford
Also, I REALLY like Silverado! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/04 1:56 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:45 am 
Master Pilot

King if u have never seen The Stalking Moon w/Gregory Peck, u must! 1 of the scariest westerns ever made--I think I've even seen the house somewhere out here, out west where it was made--no bonus pts. but my associate has something 4 u The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:22 pm 
Lady Scryer

Silverado, which Danlo mentioned a couple of posts above, is probably my favorite Western. I cannot wait to landscapes of New Mexico which fill it with such beauty. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]