Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Minority Report, Blade Runner, etc... (films of P. K. Dick)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:47 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, Stephen R. Donaldson appeared 2 like Minority Report, while on the other hand Foamy told me that she was so grossed out she walked out of the theater. I really didn't think it was so gross, xcept 4 mayb the eyeballs--but what the eye surgery symbolizes is the lack of totally human privacy in the future, vis a vis constant retinal scans. Which r not that far over the hill, btw. I felt that the movie was an amazing effort! The special effects were the best I've ever seen, bar none. It <i> is</i> probably nescessary 2 c this film twice as the multitude of effects are a bit overwhelming. 2 understand Minority Report better u need 2 have seen Blade Runner, Screamers and Total Recall. They show other aspects of the "cyperpunk" future (c Gibson topic 4 more on that). The author of all 4 stories that these movies r based on is Philip K. Dick and he is consistantly touting conspriacy theories, individual privacy issues, anti-governmental control and a whole lot of other even more subtle issues in all his work. The movies (and books) Brave New World and Farenheit 451 r somewhat analogous 2 those trains of thought. Like Vanilla Sky, the flash of almost 2 much information and Tom Cruise's hip, slick and cool film persona tend 2 occulde what really going on. Re: Vanilla Sky, for instance, I really didn't kno what 2 make of the movie the 1st time I saw it. I sort of said "Yeah, it was really cool, but what is it?", when I saw it the 2nd time not only did it make sense but when the "flash haze" melted off Cruise's per4mance totally blew me away. MR hits all the right buttons, there's definately never a dull moment, and 4 the wide cinematic range of emotions, control and physical agility required Cruise is the right man 4 the job. Like Ford in Blade Runner, Willis in The Fifth Element and Reeves in The Matrix he "becomes" the role. I do think, however u need 2 c it twice 2 really appreciate it--2 get past the cool. When The Empire Strikes Back 1st hit the theather, ages ago, I tought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread--but then when I saw it the 2nd time it was 3xs better! MR bridges the gap btween now and the world of The Fifth Element and one of it's few drawbacks, aside from some grossness (Foamy!), is that it really leaves u hungry 4 more-like u want 2 know how the precogs were found, developed, trained and explore more of their complex ethical issues. It made me impatient! I want 2 live in that future now! I want 2 drive that awesome Lexus! I want 2 train genetically enhanced plants 2 wrap around door 2 door solicitors and thieves and toss them off my property! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/28/02 1:14:14 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Minority Report
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:18 am 
Master Pilot

My daughter and I are going to see Minority Report next week. Will let you know what we think of it. Sounds really good! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/17/03 8:19 am
</i>

Post subject: Imposter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:38 pm 
Master Pilot

I just rented a <i> very</i> cool movie: Imposter, based on another P.K. Dick short story! So, what do we have so far?
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Screamers
New Rose Hotel
Imposter
Minority Report
and the soon 2 b released A Scanner Darkly
I'm sure I'm missing something since they seem 2 adapt Dick's stories faster than I can keep up w/them! Anyway Imposter was very well done tho it obviously didn't get the attention @ the theater that Minority Report did...great effects on Earth--especially the energy domes and the "data spools", killer action scenes-only drawback was the alien space craft looked a <i> little</i> cheesy--but easy 2 get past that! Very good acting jobs from (producer) Gary Sinise, Madeline Stowe and Vincent Di' Onfirio. It's sorta Logan's Run w/a few wild twists thrown in there. The plot, in a nutshell-hopefully w/o spoiling, is set in the "after Total Recall" world when Alpha Centuri is discovered thus, REALLY, pissing off the Centurians who r stopping, at no cost, 2 get rid of earth, the Centurians are smarter than us, but also more ruthless. They send a single scoutship 2 earth, during this war, equipped w/a "bio-clone" robot, who has a nuclear device in it's inards, 2 kill and assume the identity of one of Earth's top defense researchers in order 2 get 2 the leader of the Earth Defense Force. If this "robot" goes off it will kill her and about 100,000 along w/her. One reviewer called Imposter, "The Fugitive gone hi-tech" and i agree. Well, if I go any futher I <i> will</i> b spoiling--suffice 2 say that I <i> really</i> enjoyed this flick and it was probably the best $3 I've ever spent! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/28/02 9:40:35 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Minority Report, Blade Runner, etc... (films of P. K. Di
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:46 pm 
Master Pilot

I just finished watching The New Rose Hotel, and u kno what I'm wrong! (I was really convinced by some1 on the ASOIAF ezboard that Philip K. Dick wrote it) It's based on a short story by William Gibson (another featured author in this 4rum!), it's "cyperpunk", but very artistically done! It's, sorta, like a mini-Nueromancer and Christopher Walken and Wilhelm DeFoe give tour-de force per4mances! Killer flick, killer music! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Minority Report, Blade Runner, etc... (films of P. K. Di
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:28 am 
Master Pilot

Rented Minority Report this week. Have to say I liked it. I wasn't grossed out by it at all. Thought the pre-crime concept a little creepy. <i></i>

Post subject: PKD movies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:01 am 
Master Pilot

Looks like there's a new PKD movie in the works. "Paycheck" will star Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman; John Woo to direct. "Paycheck" is apparently the name of Dick's short story too, but I don't know anything about it.

I guess there was also a French movie based on one of Dick's mainstream novels, "Confessions of a Crap Artist". Dick is supposed to be highly revered in France. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: PKD movies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Dang it, I hate Woo. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Hope he doesn't butcher this like he did Windtalkers... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/19/03 5:08 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:27 pm 
Pilot

Ben affleck?, oh god, oh god no. No that won't do at all. The sooner we cut that cancer of mediocracy out of the film industry the better, while we are at it we also need to lance the boil on ben affleck's bottom that is Matt Damon. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Agreed, the Affleck/Woo combination doesn't bode well. At least they'll be butchering a relatively obscure story instead of Three Stigmata or Man In The High Castle.

I'd like to see David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club) take a crack at directing some PKD. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:49 am 
Master Pilot

As a big Kevin Smith fan, Matt and Ben will always be on my good side.

I agree, though, that Fincher is just about the perfect director for some of Dick's grittier stuff. In fact, now that I think about it, some of Dick's writing seems similar to that of Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club). ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I enjoyed Ben's work in Chasing Amy a lot, and usually don't mind the guy too much. He just doesn't strike me as a PKD protagonist. I also dug Woo's HK epics (The Killers, Hard Boiled), but his Hollywood films have all been pretty uninspired.

(I've seen some excellent Matt Damon performances - Rounders is one of my all time favorite movies.) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:08 am 
Master Pilot

I thought the Blade Runner fans here might get a kick out of this article. The interviewer puts the Voight-Kampff replicant test to the San Francisco mayoral candidates!

www.thewavemag.com/pagege...leid=24031

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:41 am 
Master Pilot

I saw Minority Report the other day .. and was regrettably unimpressed!

the basic premise was very intriguing .. but for me it fell down in its execution.

Cruise was excellent .. and the basic story line was good .. but it was imho slow .. and stilted.

I had such high hopes too

not a fav on my sci-fi list ..

Now Matrix Revolutions now thats some awesome work i cant wait to see .. and after Brinn's spoiler alert .. sounds pretty darn brilliant .. cant wait 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Our tastes must be backwards on Sci-Fi I loved MR didn't think it was slow whatsover--I didn't really like Reloaded-but looking 4ward to Revolutions. I need to watch Reloaded again-maybe I'll appreciate it more--then again being in the loo during half of the restaurant scene pro didn't help... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>