Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Actresses; Kidman, Blanchette, Moore(s), Pheiffer, etc...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I figured if we had an actors topic we would have 2 have and actresses topic. I may get 2 xcited in this topic since I'm not only absolutely MAD about beautiful women (who wouldn't b!), I go totally bonkers about redheads (that Scotch/Irish blood! HOOT MON!) so I had 2 mention Kidman and Moore--that's Julianne Moore (But, if ur wild about brunettes that can b Demi 4 u!). When Cate Blanchette dyes her hair red (as she did in Bandits) she is out of this world! Oh did I mention these ladies can act 2! I've seen some other beautiful women doing great acting jobs lately, such as: Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie (especially in Original Sin w/Banderas), Penelope Cruz, Selma Halek & Hillary Swank. I'll b back 2 chat about the classic actresses as well-but b4 I leave let me ask u this question: Why, when 1 is watching Startrek the Next Generation, is it SO hard 2 choice btween Dr. Crusher and Couselor Troi? Why chose? Both on the holodeck!!??!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr.! How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/4/02 11:28:11 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Actresses; Kidman, Blanchette, Moore(s), Pheiffer,etc...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:12 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Well, Kidman is very attractive, but I'll choose the star of Ladyhawke, Michelle Pheiffer, any day. I liked Jodie Foster better as a child actor (hate to see those grow up and lose their child-star appeal). On STTNG, Troi is definitely better looking.</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/5/02 8:50:40 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Actresses; Kidman, Blanchette, Moore(s), Pheiffer,etc...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:56 am 
Master Pilot

mmm .. I wonder if Troi is really better looking .. definitely more sensual .. in her body hugging tunic .. as opposed to Beverly's loser medical tunic and jacket ..

Kidman is gorgeous!! .. as is Blanchett imo! Angelina Jolie is also outstanding!! .. Michelle Pfeiffer is a classic beauty as is the woman who plays the daughter of Ceasar in the movie 'Gladiator' .. Liv Tyler and Kate Hudson are also excellent.

As for brilliant actors of the female persuasion .. I would have to say Blanchett is way up there .. with Jolie .. and Kidman is excellent too .. but not sure how she compares .. Pfieffer is excellent .. the Bridget Jones actor (I forget her name .. but was very impressed with her performance - and accent)

the woman from The Matrix was also excellent .. and an all time fav of mine is Dina Meyer .. for no other real reason than she is a honey and plays a kool kick ass female!! I named my cat in her honour after seeing her in Starship Troopers!! (one of my most fav man-eating bug film of all time) health and healing<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/4/02 11:30:44 pm
</i>

Post subject: Kidman, Blanchette, Pheiffer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:47 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't care! The red hair still does it 4 me, if I were Jean-Luc I say Dr. Crushme! Make it so! I agree that Martina is totally fine and when she went w/the staight hair came close 2 beatting Gates out--but y compare?-enjoy both.--Rene Zellwenger is who ur talking about Sky--great, and cute, in Jerry McGuire (Show me the money!) and very, very silly in Nurse Betty!

Nicole Kidman top ten:
1. The Others
2. Far and Away
3. Dead Calm
4. My Life
5. Portrait of a Lady
6. Batman Forever
7. Practical Magic
8. Days of Thunder
9. Moulin Rouge
10. To Die For
Eyes Wide Shut just 2 weird, what was it saying? Other Nic's I'd recommend: Malice, The Peacemaker, Billy Bathgate

Cate Blanchett Top Ten:
1. Elizabeth
2. The Gift
3. An Ideal Husband
4. Bandits
5. Fellowship of the Ring
6. The Talented Mr. Ripley
7. The Shipping News
8. The Man who Cried
9. Paradise Road
10. The Two Towers (may very well top FOTR...)

Michelle Pheiffer top ten:
1. Ladyhawke
2. Deep End of the Ocean
3. Frankie & Johnny
4. A Thousand Acres
5. Dangerous Minds
6. What Lies Beneath
7. Witches of Eastwick
8. The Age of Innocence
9. The Fabulous Baker Boys
10. Wolf
Grease 2! come on Michelle! Other MP's I'd recommend: Up Close and Personal, To Gillian on her 37th Birthday, Dangerous Liasions, Batman Returns (meow!), I am Sam looks 2b good!?
How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/4/02 11:25:54 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Actresses; Julia Roberts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Gonna weight in with my $0.02. Does anyone get Julia Roberts, is she really a great actress and I do not see it? IMO, Kate Blanchett and Julianne Moore are better actresses. Is she a great beauty that I do not see, cause IMO, Kirsten Dunst, Angelina Jolie, Michelle Pfeiffer are all better looking. Or is she some kinda hidden talent, that I do not see, for unbounded talent, I think Jodie Foster is the tops right now (directing and producing, acting too).

I have Sirens of the Cinema issue #4 from this last Winter, and Julia Roberts was ranked in a pole they held as the most over-rated actress with over 17% of the votes given

Guess I just had to rant.
taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 6/1/03 10:10:05 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Actresses; Julia Roberts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:25 pm 
Master Pilot

I agree taraswiz! Never got Julia...she's like the Keanu Reeves of actresses--can't act but gets great vehicles--came very close 2 actually acting w/Sleeping w/the Enemy and Erin Brockovich--and the girly movies r wearing pretty thin...

Also agree w/ur Jodie Foster takes--loved Panic Room, Nell and Contact.

Julia's bro Eric is better looking than her!

Now Jeniffer Conelley can act (A Beautiful Mind) and beautiful 2. I still intensely dig Sharon Stone! pant, pant, woof, woof! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Actresses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm glad you guys are all mentioning Cate Blanchett - the first movie I saw her in was Elizabeth and her performance was so good she blew me away!
Some of the "classic" actresses I think put in some very good performances would include Katherine Hepburn and Grace Kelly -- and one of my all-time favorite performances would be Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:08 am 
Master Pilot

Duchess wrote before Quote:one of my all-time favorite performances would be Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca

OMG, Bergman in Casablance not only one of the best movies ever made (Michael Curtiz(?, I think)directing), but Bergman's performance as Ilsa Lundt (aka Ilsa Laszlo) a true classic and memorable moment in cinema. All the performances, really outstanding. (Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Paul Heinreid, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet). Of course, giving to popular culture one of the classic lines of all time "Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects".

BTW, did you know the writers were literally writing pages of script the same day they would shoot those pages. And according to an interview I once saw of Ms Bergman, she asked the writers 'Is Ilsa really in love with Viktor? Or is he someone she admires and respects, and she knows that Viktor needs to have Ilsa with him to continue his very important work.' And the writers would reply 'we are not sure yet?' After this exchange Ingrid was at her total wits end, since as she continued "how can I play the part, unless I know the answer to that question, since it is key to how I will play the part." To the credit of her talent, she pulled it off anyway.

Continuing, all her performances were so classic, from Gaslight on through Cassablanc and then to films like Notorius. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 10/31/03 7:21 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:26 pm 
Master Pilot

going back to Nicole Kidman's top ten!

MOulin RouGe
The others
Practical Magic

i liked her in Far and Away .. and Dead Calm .. her earlier stuff .. she just keeps getting better and better imho.

I absolutely adore CAte Blanchet .. she is an awesome actor .. imho .. even better than Nic Kidman i am reluctant to say ..

yeah and ditto the Julia Roberts sentiments .. i dont get her either ..

even though i enjoyed that wedding flick with Cameron Diaz .. particularly cos i like the gay british guy .. and the song scene .. lol .. but nah i just dont see her in any serious acting league ..

Sandra Bullock is better value imho .. as are a whole myriad of others ..

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:36 pm 
Master Pilot

The Hours was darn good too...just hadn't been released back when I made my Nic Pix... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:22 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm a huge Casablanca fan, too, taraswizard. Hard to imagine anyone else in Bergman's role. Closest thing to a perfect movie I've ever seen.

Lot's of terrific actresses from the past: Kim Novak in Vertigo, Grace Kelly in Rear Window, Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, Gloria Grahame in In A Lonely Place.

My current favorites are Jennifer Connelly (Hulk, Beautiful Mind), Famke Janssen (X-Men, Rounders), and Rebecca Pigeon (Heist, State and Main). <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:03 pm 
Master Pilot

is Kim Novak the actor in the old Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds?

if so .. I like her 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:14 pm 
Master Pilot

No that's Tippi Hedren-animal rights activist and Melanie Griffith's (ooh baby!) mom...Kim Novak is hot and blond as well-she was also in the old campy version of Moll Flanders, Picinic and the great Bell, Book and Candle where she played a witch--some feel that the popular old TV series Bewitched was based on that movie. *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/12/03 5:11 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Tippi Hedren also starred in Hitchcock's Marnie with Sean Connery. Kind of an odd little film, but worth seeing. <i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 11/12/03 4:04 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Vertigo is my all time fav Hitchcock film--I also like North by Northwest alot. Rear Window-killer! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>