Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Re:Hobbies&Collections
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:52 am 
Master Pilot

I have a collection of manatee paraphernalia. Little figurines, jewelry, mugs, bookmarks, magnets, a few stuffed manatees (including a two-foot-some-odd one which I've dubbed Really Big Manatee), things like that. I like manatees - I'm a member of the Save the Manatee Club as well.

I also collect little boxes, although not by choice. Someone gave me a few at one point, and now people come into my room and see all the boxes and think I like them, so they give me more. It's a never-ending cycle.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:51 am 
Pilot

My hobby is kind of unexciting, actually. I belong to a small club we call "The Otters". Pretty much all we do is meet 2 or 3 times a month at a member's house, where we drink bitters and discuss whatever we happen to be reading at the time. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:04 am 
Master Pilot

Cool! I think Fid would love that club! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Like many here, I would have to say books, music, and an occasional movie.

When I get a chance I love to go camping and hiking and do nature photography.

My real hobby is delivering my children to various sporting events and cheering them on!

I do get small art objects when I travel to other countries/parts of the USA. I have some Native American pottery and sandpaintings and musical instruments, carved wooden fish from Mexico and the Bahamas, and some oil paintings of the sea from Boston. Some of my friends have seen all of the fish in my bathroom and have started buying me small folkart fish on their travels, too.
Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 2/12/03 11:36:53 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:07 pm 
Master Pilot

I have an artist relative who has painted pictures of the beautiful Massachusetts coast!

Books have to be my hobby. I used to collect coins. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:35 am 
Lady Scryer

If your relative sells through a gallery in a pretty little town north of Boston called Rockport, than I might have one of his/her seascapes hanging on my wall!
I used to collect coins, now I deface dollars, set them free, and see if any of them show up atwhere's george Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:58 am 
Master Pilot

Hmm... Drool Stupidhead was my name, but it isn't any more. And that wasn't me. But I know that I had a hacker, so there's the point.

I collect all those things, but i cannot dance, unless falling down in a decorative way is dancing. hehehe... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hobbies & Collections
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:06 am 
Master Pilot

Hobbies, well almost as long as I have read SciFi, I have been interested in radio communications (in general, broadcast radio and two-way type comms) and long distance listening, too. This hobby (sometimes called SWLing, AKA shortwave listening) has evolved into a collection of equipment that includes several shortwave receivers, several radio scanners (AKA 'police' scanners, very much the misnomer since these units receive so much more than police calls), and amateur radio handi talkies.

Additionally, I have an amateur radio license. And have been the Vice President and President of my local amateur radio club. Our local club helps with communications for various local community events, for example, walkathons, triatholons, parades, and charity bike rides. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>