Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brotherhood of the Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:15 pm 
Master Pilot

I just watched this movie last night--I was, well, amazed!! Pretty darn interesting movie 2 watch while reading G. R. R. Martin! Any1 else seen this? Would b very interested in hearing ur thoughts!!!!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Brotherhood of the Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Ive never even heard of that movie...

I just noticed, whys that emoticon in Japanese? Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:52 am 
Pilot

Yup, I saw it. Except I downloaded it before it came out and it was in French with English subtitles so I didn't quite get the full encompass of it. But it was a good movie none the less. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:09 am 
Pilot

Yes, it was a very good movie which got lamentably little attention. It was refreshingly non-Hollywood while still being a far cry from the stereotypical French art film drama loved by critics but not the masses (which in this case includes me). It was really weird when time after time it looked that the movie would end but then didn't, but that was also very nice in its originality. It reminds me of a Sandman quote which said something vaguely along the lines of (paraphrasing) "If you want a happy ending, stop reading the book when it is at a pleasant moment". <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, many times it seemed as if it was ending and didn't. My Le Fraternitie de les Loupes has french subtitles 2--I don't have DVD but movies like this, FOTR and even Tomb Raider (haha) make me wish I did. It made u think--even everything that seemed mystical, and strange had a normal xplanation in the end, sorta...It was weird wasn't it? It had alot of Fantasy elements we associate w/certian writers here: like Donaldson and Martin. Yet it also had the Martix, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon-Sci-Fi feel.

Now I'm really going 2 spoil!!! The films really does conjure up tons of images from other writings and films...even the "training" that goes on reeks of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" (who wrote that Wells?), some very sureal and some rather perverted images--yet also w/simple xplanations! Wild. The mercilessness of the fighting, the hunt and the politics feels like George Martin stuff...the martial arts, the ill and inquisitional reiligious overtones, and the rape scene felt like Donaldson stuff--from such works as The Killing Stroke in Reave the Just and Ser Visal's Tale in Daughter of Regals.

In a way many other literally works come to mind such as: The Heart of Darkness by Conrad, The Last of the Mohicans, Cagliostro, Beowulf, The Illuminatus triology!, The Count of Monte Christo. Very spiritual and facinating film. Combines such good science, philosophy, worldviews, global and local ethnic and cultural issues and progress vs. the status quo..and the base instincts of men. Mayb even throws in a dash of Voodoo! What does the Pope know about all this? (p.s. wasn't that castle used in Ever After?)
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/1/02 5:25:53 pm
</i>