Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: woodpeckers
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:11 am 
Lady Scryer

In one week those baby doves have gone from the size of small pebbles to half the size of their mother! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: baby birds
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

The baby doves are now so large the mother can't fit in the nest with them. She sits on nearby branches of the little pine tree, or sits in the grass by the tree. this makes the cats go nuts!
My little son, Mr. Sunshine , found a very hidey cardinal nest in our front yard, and when we peeked in the babies reared up with wide open mouths, looking for food, while the mother cheeped at us and bounced around in the pine tree. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: baby birds
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, the baby doves have left the nest, much to the disapointment of the cats!
I can't believe how fast they grew! The cardinals don't seem to grow anywhere nearly as fast! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:27 am 
Lady Scryer

The cardinals are all gorwn and out now, too.
Since they say birds are the living close cousins of the dinosaurs, it makes me wonder how fast they grew!!
Have you been to any dinosaur quarries out West, Danlo? Last time we were in Colorado we stopped off at a dinosaur quarry called Rabbit Valley near Grand Junction, and saw some of the bones still embedded in the rocks. That was pretty cool! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Nope can't says I have, but I believe in then! Allasaurous (sp?) is the state dinosaur of NM... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:37 am 
Master Pilot

Friends of mine were looking for dinosaur bones up in Montana. It would be neat to find one imbedded. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:37 am 
Lady Scryer

The place we went is an old quarry just off of I-70, two miles from the Utah/Colorado border. It has its own freeway exit. You just pull off the freeway, and its off a bit to the north. There is an active quarry you can visit to see the scientists working, and a mile or so long trail called The Trail Through Time that you can walk, with a little brochure that points out the different bones left in the rock...one of the bones is part of a diplodocus spine! (and best of all it was free) Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Now all of our baby birds are up and away, but we now have a nest of baby bunnies in our front yard instead!

And the deer are nibbling at our vegetable garden again this year! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:30 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm mad at these juncoe type birds that were attacking my xeriscape grass the other day. Alot of my neighbors have the same kind of "silver-spear" high wavy desert grass (akin 2 dune grass) and these birds seem 2 leave theirs alone. But they were ripping mine apart 2 make nests! Well we do have a huge tree with tons of nest--but come on! Where r my silly cats went I need them? Do I need 2 give them a raise? more milk? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:58 am 
Master Pilot

It sounds like your cats have the feline version of the "blue flu". <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

Speaking of which, I am very happy with my son's cat Bud. There was a huge spider inthe bathtub this morning and I let out a little screech. Bud came in to investigate, hopped into the tub, and ate that spider right up. My hero! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:02 am 
Master Pilot

Ariel spots them, and takes swats at bugs but doesn't eat them. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:42 am 
Lady Scryer

There was the most beautiful big gray hawk in the trees in my front yard this morning. I am going to have to look through some bird books and try to figure out what kind it was.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

A robin has just finished building her nest in the same tree, in almost the same spot, where the dove had her nest last year. It never occurred to me to take pictures of the nest and babies last year, but this year I will give it a try...

I don't understand why these birds keep building their nests in that one tree, as it is very close to our back door, the one we use to let the dog outside, and we are in and out of that door at all hours of the day and night. Last year the dove would get afraid and take off every time we came in or out, at least initially, but she got so used to us that she would just sit there and let us get within a couple of feet of her nest...hopefully the robin will do the same...

And the robin is a much better nest builder than the dove was. The dove made a very loose little platform of dead grass and little twigs and stuff like that. It fell apart in the first rainfall we had after the birds left the nest. The robin's nest is much more study looking, a well defined "cup" shape...small branches woven together... ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: backyard birds and wildlife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:02 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, over the years here we have had many birds' nests, and have had squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, toads, and groundhogs all live here. We have had deer and coyotes and raccoons and possums run through our yard.

But last weekend we had a first - a couple of neighbors came over to tell us that we have a fox living in our backyard!

Unfotunately, none of us have seen it yet - but we know where it supposedly has its home! Hopefully we will see this lovely wild animal soon! ******************************************************

<i></i>