Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scream @ the Computer, rants & raves!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Had it with hackers, spam, the internet, viruses, freezing up or going down? Mad at Bill Gates, Stephen Jobs or your internet server? Get it off ur chest here!--there will b another topic soon called Computer Troubleshooting where u can express ur particular user problems or discuss some neat trick u kno or need 2 learn. And perhaps some1 can provide the answer or feedback u're looking for there. But this topic, itself is mainly 4 grumbles, gripes, rants and raves. Just pretend this topic is ur computer and yell @ it, vent ur frustrations, but DO keep it clean, thanks! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Scream @ the Computer, rants & raves!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:09 am 
Pilot

I'm tired of stupid online tech support people. I expect the person to be helping me to actually know something about what they are talking about instead or just giving me the run around so they don't have to talk to me. LOL...oh wait.. I can post our convo... ***START AT THE BOTTOM AND READ UP***

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Garry: Jolly, it may be possible that the drive has gone bad. Due to some technical problems over here, I will not be able to proceed with this. Please contact us via email to get a replacement drive. Please note that Iomega has different procedures for replacing in-warranty and out of warranty drives and if your drive happens to be out of warranty there will be a charge of US $ 49.95 plus any state or local taxes applicable.
^ NEWEST ^

Jolly: Is that all or shall I wait for some more....

Jolly: It's in the same spot it has always been in when it's worked.

Jolly: It's not by anything electronic.

Garry: Move the Zip or Jaz drive away from other electronic devices:
Monitors, speakers, power supplies and other electronic devices may cause interference with Zip or Jaz drives.
- Move the drive away from any devices, as far as the data cable will allow.
- Try to read the disk.

Garry: Please wait a moment.

Jolly: It is not possible. And again, it has worked on this computer a year ago when I got it, after a reformat and it just doesn't work now.

Garry: Jolly, I would again say that please try installing the drive on another computer if possible. This is an imperative step in troubleshooting and helps to properly isolate the problem that whether it is the hardware or the software that is causing this problem.

Garry: Please wait a moment.

Jolly: Protect is not an option to chose. It is greyed out.

Garry: Double-click the My Computer icon.

Right-click the Iomega drive letter.

Within the pop-up menu, click the Protect option.

View the Present Disk Status box.

If the disk is protected, click the Remove Protection button.

Enter the required password.

Click OK.

Garry: Please check if the disks that you are using are not write - protected.

Jolly: It has worked on this system up until the reformat yesterday evening.

Jolly: Where am I supposed to find another computer?
Garry: Also, i
f possible, please try installing the drive on another computer and check if the problem persists there as well. This is just a troubleshooting step to check if it is the drive or the system that is causing the problem.

Jolly: Have done all of that about 20 times.

Garry: A. Check cabling
Disconnect the cable from the computer.
Disconnect the cable from the drive.
Check the ends of the cable for any bent or broken pins.
Connect the cable to the computer and make sure the connection is secure.
Connect the cable to the drive and make sure the connection is secure.

B. Check the power
Verify the green light is on.
If the light is not on, disconnect the power from the drive.
Reconnect the power to the drive.
If none of the above works, try a different wall outlet or power supply.

Garry: Please check following:

Jolly: It has worked with my XP prior. Both with an upgrade and after a reformat. Reformated yesterday and now it doesn't work.

Jolly: Any disk that is put in. The amber light comes on and stays on.

Garry: Is this problem with 1-2 disks or with many disks ?

Jolly: I ment does not recognize disk in the drive...sorry..

Jolly: or explore....

Jolly: After I put the disk in the drive it is unreponsivie so I right lick on the drive and choose "search"

Garry: Exactly when you get this error message?

Jolly: Software installed, drive recognized in My Computer and Device Manager. But will not recognize zip in the drive and gives a "device not connected" error

Garry: Please let me know the details of the problem that you are facing, so that I can assist you better.

Jolly: Trouble with zp100 external paralell

Garry: Hello Jolly, how may I assist you today?

Garry: Thank you for contacting Iomega's Online Support Services.
J
olly: Hi?

[Garry - A representative has joined the session.]

Thank you for using Iomega Live Chat support. The next available Customer Support Representative will be with you shortly.

Come on now. "I have technical problems here, you'll just have to buy a new one". Give me a break! I NEED my saved data NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:24 am 
Pilot

I just had to come back to this cause I'm so ticked off. My ENTIRE 'my documents' is saved onto disk and I can't get it until I buy a new drive apparently. Do you realize what I have saved in 'my documents'? Every animation and javascript code for my website, personal pictures, personal finance information, certain applications I need to reinstall, email addresses, work related information, all my icons, system sounds...my smilie list/codes!!! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need it.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:12 am 
Master Pilot

Wow, glad u got that off ur chest finally Fid, perhaps we should rename this topic: The Theraphy Room !!! I've talked 2 3 "support people' @ Earthlink and I STILL haven't figured out how 2 reactive my old Earthlink mail server. Well not only is it a pain in general 2 use Outlook Express--I can't email any1 from their sites!!!arrrrg!! 42natetly this board has a function 2 email all of u, in bulk or seperately...(That stupid ol' klez virus was responible 4 a premature mailbox burial...). Y can't I stand Yahoo!? And don't those constant dropdown sidecars on Geocities make u crazy??? The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:32 am 
Pilot

What can or cannot you do in Outlook? Is it installed on your system still or will it even load? It should automatically come up if you click on a mailto link if it is programed in -Internet Connections -Programs.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:38 am 
Master Pilot

I'll look in2 that, thanks Fid!!! The 2 biggest drawbacks is that 1. Half of my mail gets lost btween Earthlink Webmail and Outlook 2. Everytime I try 2 do a remote email it says "no server availble"--it does everything else--all I really need 2 know is how 2 hook it on 2 my start page and reactivate a direct link... The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:52 am 
Pilot

You need the POP3 sever address. It is usually simply mail.earthlink.com or pop.earthlink.net orsomething to that effect. To find this load Outlook Express. Go under -Tools -Accounts -If there is a mail sever listed highlight it and click on Properties -look under the Server tab. If the box under Accounts is blank you need to add the account. Surely the tech support you talked to went through this though. Here's an example just in case support.earthlink.net/mu/...5.psc.html

If it is set up as they show on that page, there is no reason why you can't recive the email. However, I did see a part on their help section where they showed you how to backup your email account so apparently you can lose stuff. *shrugs*
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks Fid! I'll probably have 2 print that a look @ it about 6 times--in order 2 do it right and get it thru my techno-challenged head... The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/6/02 5:49:33 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:34 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow! I'm Happy! I downloaded Earthlink Total Access, uninstalled EL 5.0. Deleted Temp files, lowered storage days, downloaded MS 7.0 4 WP--and other cool stuff--and got Trillian working at full speed--I also just found out I can scrap all the images 4 the Hangar in My Documents and not worry since they'r all on my homepage anyway, or should I? Is it a good thing 2 hang on 2 those images?

Anyway I'm flying around the Net now--it's fun 2 b fast again! My email's working xcellently and I can directly email folks @ their sites--It's nice 2 have normal full access again! My email and word processor were fried by that virus 4 months ago--I should have done all this long ago! And, if the rebate works, MS 7.0 is essentially free! Cool!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:14 pm 
Master Pilot

I dont even have dial-up. Haha!

Anyway, glad to see youre computers fast again, Danlo. A Timekeeper needs a fast computer.... Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:29 pm 
Master Pilot

Any one else out there have AOL 8.0? We just upgraded (ha!) to 8.0 from 7.0. It is terrible!!!!! We have high speed cable modem & 7.0 worked great - then they come out with 8.0 & screw everything up! Now I have high speed garbage! I have taken to logging in thr MSN/yahoo to be able to post/surf. If I stay on AOL for more than a few minutes, the screen just starts jumping between images, & then freezes up! What a pain in the you-know-what!!! If you have AOL & haven't upgraded yet - DON'T DO IT!!!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:01 pm 
Master Pilot

Like Ive said countless times, AOL sucks. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:04 am 
Master Pilot

I have never had aol as a server .. but the chat sucks!! I always get booted off and my comp always .. but always freezes!!

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Thank God 4 SyderByte!!! It's a free program the tricks the net in2 thinking u r always on--No more freeze ups or ur dumb old Server discoing u 4 being online 2 long!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:02 am 
Lady Scryer

If I had to scream about one thing it would have to be spam!! I hate it!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>