Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Internet Etiquette
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:42 pm 
Master Pilot

***What is Internet Etiquette, does such a thing exist? Where r the rules written down? Is it common sense, or common decency? 2 parahrase Forrest Gump: "The Internet is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." Prono and hate sites aside, and probably most chat rooms, if u have what u precieve 2 b a decent "quest 4 knowledge" website what rules should u abide by, what can u and can u not get away with? What is "pushing the limits"? "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." I guess.

***Technology and advances on the Internet and computers r coming @ us all the time, whether we're ready 4 them or not. Zillions of folks r popping on 2 the Internet all the time--some follow simple etiqutte, some don't and some flat don't care...Let's take ezboard 4 xample--their rules r fairly simple: don't attack another site, no web piracy, note sources, give credit, backlink, respect copyright. All the images I've created on this site w/help have been downloaded and hosted--w/the permission of the artists--and I haven't noted it in awhile and I need 2 put back up, somewhere, that Vain created our lead site banner. I took it down assuming every1 knew this from reading most of Snowy Owl Chat--It's probably not a good idea 2 assume that...I've also borrowed information from other sites--and not all of them have been credited--I'm going 2 work this week 2 trace and credit the sources. But do u think this is a good ideal in general? Is it a matter of taste, or does it follow the rules? Should the urls only b given?

***What is acceptable humor? I don't kno--that's probably a matter of taste--on some sites they get off on attacking each other--and some others they push the limits in good fun--on some sites the Admin can take things 2 personally. But, y can't we all just get along? Surely, if u open your site 2 the general public u need 2 b made of tougher stuff than that! And let's, really, try 2 b able 2 distinguish reality from fiction. U really don't know who u r talking 2 behind a username and u don't have 2 assume they totally share ur tastes and u don't know if thier signature is just a quote from a fictional source or this person's religious, political or spiritual agenda. I'll use my sig, 4 xample, below. Some1 has recently inferred (in a private email) that I am purposing religious and spiritual conversion by using such a sig. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I read that! My only reactions were: Hey, it's only 1 of many quotes from the Neverness books that this forum is dedicated and all I'm trying 2 do is stir up interest in the books. It's 1 of manifold philosophies and practices xplored in the books--the books make NO attempt 2 try 2 convert ANY1 2 any kind of agenda--they r just there 2 make u think.

***Shouldn't sigs b a member's, or user's, own business? And, finally, I thought we were all here 2 have fun and learn from each other. All I can say on the matter is if you can't a little heat and can't open ur mind wide enuf u need 2 get out of the kitchen--and stay out! I've been 2 tons of websites lately--and the Hangar is 1 of the tamest 1s there r. 1 could also, I suppose, use pms and email 2 xpress their concerns b4 getting all bent out of shape...anyway i'm starting 2 ramble--what r ur thoughs on issues such as these? The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/6/02 8:58:03 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Internet Etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:51 am 
Pilot

Many boards have a "policy" statment that gives the rules. The policy statment is inforced by the owner who made the rules and it is up to that owner to determine what is acceptible. That is determined by the owners own personal feelings or the majority of other posters. If one person is making another uncomfortable then it is up to the owner to determine how to handle the situation. As for netiquette, (and without sounding like a religious prude) I, myself, prefer things clean. I have a sense of humor and I like to joke around but it is only to a point. I don't jump all over someone right away, I wait, watch and get to know their personality better. Some people are more serious then others. I expect common curteousy and respect....not only for myself but for the other people on the board. It is really up the owner of the board/chatroom though. At any board I mod at I know what the rules are and I'll will make sure they are kept by other posters even if I don't take the meaning in the same way as the owner did. We all see things differently, read things differently and react differently. People are usually given one or warnings as well. All these rules apply to usernames, messages, pictures and signatures. These things are not directly referenced to the Rohan incident (I still don't know what happened there) these are from my expierience on other boards and chatrooms all over the net that I mod and administer at for a variety of different type of people.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:30 am 
Master Pilot

I agree with your point of view, Fid. I like to see civility and respect for others at the forums I frequent. Flame wars, cursing, and insults really turn me off...not that I've seen any of that here...

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:52 am 
Master Pilot

I don't think any1 will ever b able 2 figure out what really happened in said incident. My rules @ this site--and I really dislike imposing things on others--r stated and very simple--no backstabbing, spamming, flaming or foul language--other than that I only want 2 learn and have fun! I will gladly make changes, bow 2 my members wishes and torelate quite alot...actually. And consult w/the moderators before banning any1, thou I would never wish it 2 ever come 2 that. There are some pretty nasty boards out there and I will not put the url there...whatsoever...I'm open 2 a wide range of discussion and viewpoint, but not negativism...I'll gladly admit I'm human and will face and accept any critizism, as long as it makes sense...I'm just hoping we can focus on the Internet as a whole in this topic... The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/14/02 8:07:38 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:31 am 
Master Pilot

danlo I did get your message the other day and have tried to catch you on msn .. to no avail .. but it sounds like you are pretty well worked through what was bothering you at the time.

As far as these issues go .. I have no clue .. There are general rules .. at the beginning of each board .. that usually members must sign and have agreed to be bound by .. <personally I tend to skip over them-hence I tend to need pulling up occassionally because of it>

Internet etiquette?? Yes I would say ofcourse it exists .. and it involves pretty much the same things as ordinary garden variety every day etiquette. As others have said .. being respectful .. being a biggy ..

I think not blatently scouting members from other sites is a matter of respect too .. Some just wouldn't appreciate that ..

..and as far as citing sources .. that is good practice and very important .. and it is good that you do that here .. I have been to other sites where this has been lacking and it deters from that site's credibility. Always cite material lifted from elsewhere .. good practice .. good policy!

Humour .. totally agree with you!! Humour is different to every individual .. what I find hilarious - others may deem puerile or vulgar .. for example I love Billy Connolly .. he cracks me up .. but the more refined soul would find him crass and vulgar! So be it!

.. I do like that no foul language is allowed or appreciated on these forums .. when discussions deteriorate to vulgar language .. so to does the intelligence and contribution of the contributors also deteriorate .. imo.

And contrary to recent opinion .. I am <b> NOT</b> in favour of profanity .. I am Australian!!!! And some words are not severely frowned on as they are in the US. Ofcourse the biggies are!! .. in most tongues!!

danlo .. you are a good person and have created a fine site here .. if you just do as your heart and mind affirm to you is right - following the noble principles of anti-plagerist and anti-seperatist policies philosophy dictate .. continuing to be respectful of the posters you have here and welcoming a diverse range of view points .. within reason .. you have nothing to fear

.. but fear itself.

Now if you can work that out .. your doing far better than me.

Individuals will occassionally clash .. tempers fray .. but a respectful and compassionate view point can eleviate the depth of the injury both to you and to others. In this world populated as this one is .. bumping into others is an inevitable part of life .. but with careful navigation major collisions can be avoided.

now it is me that is rambling .. be at peace friend .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:27 pm 
Master Pilot

I think "internet etiquette" is just no swearing, basic politeness, and no making fun of people. Just like school! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:16 am 
Master Pilot

there same things a good parent teaches a child ..

.. play nicely - be fair - and watch your tongue!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:11 am 
Master Pilot

we just gotta look out 4 the s!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

Wow the Ravers look SO cool on black!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/14/02 8:14:06 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:28 pm 
Lady Scryer

Danlo, you really do have one of the nicest places in the universe here. Just wanted to let you know what a relief it is to come here and not have to worry about encountering flame wars or the f word (and its close relations) or horrible personal insults liked I've seen elsewhere! It's one of the few places I allow my thirteen year old come to unsupervised because I don't have to worry!
So thanks!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/10/03 4:41:05 pm
</i>