[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Cambo Finally Reads Neverness (no spoilers, please)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cambo Finally Reads Neverness (no spoilers, please)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am 
Pilot

Picked it up second hand for just $13 today. Read the first few chapters, the hook's in deep. Will update in more detail later- I'm going to take it to bed and curl up with it. :D

Post subject: Re: Cambo Finally Reads Neverness (no spoilers, please)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 am 
Lady Scryer

:mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am 
Pilot

:alan: :cloud: Seven chapters in, and I love so much about it I hardly know where to start. I love that we talked with a goddess a mere five chapters in. I love the characters, Mallory, Bardo, Soli, Katherine, the Timekeeper. I love that Bardo farts when he is nervous, and that Mallory is screwing his cousin on the sly. I suspect Soli isn't as much of a jerk-off as Mallory perceives him to be, and that Soli's feelings towards Mallory are far more compassionate than he believes. I suspect it was Mallory's mother who hired those assassins, but I further suspect we will never know for sure. I love the piloting, even though the science and maths go waaaaaay over my head. I love how I probably understand less than 10% of the scientific foundations of this world, but I'm immersed in it nevertheless.

Waaaah! Excitement! :sky:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:48 am 
Lady Scryer

yes, the math was a million miles over my head, but I loved it anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 am 
Pilot

Well, this was going to be an update-as-I-go kinda thing, but, uh, then I just read the whole thing in about four sittings. :lol: Now I'm not quite sure what to say. :faint:

Oh, apart from this: Mallory is kind of a dick. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:44 pm 
The Timekeeper

Yes Mallory IS a dick!! Glad you're enjoying!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 am 
Pilot

Finished The Broken God at 1:30 this morning. Such an incredible read. Much less action packed than Neverness (although the bit with the warrior-poet was cool 8) ), but took me into such a succession of headspaces in such a short time. Given that almost all of the book takes place in one location, it plays out remarkably like a road movie- a spiritual, intellectual, philosophical road movie.

There's so much high-brow exposition here (most of which I followed much better than the maths in Neverness :lol: ), it's a wonder the characters get any room at all. But Zindell's characters are where I think he truly shines. For all the debate and theorizing, I never once felt that a character had become a mouthpiece- there was always a weight of emotion and personality behind their words. And what personalities! I am in love with Danlo and Bardo and poor Tamara. And Hanuman li-Tosh....Oh Hanu. Danlo repeats this so often it's come to pretty much encapsulate how I feel about him. He's one of the most complex and vivid characters I've ever read. What he did to Tamara and Danlo was heartbreaking and infuriating. But his own plight is no less poignant.

I'm hooked. More than that, I'm touched. This rivals Donaldson's work for its impact on me. Bring on The Wild! :drool:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 pm 
The Timekeeper

Awesome (Hanu has a SERIOUS fire in the head)! The Wild (which should have been called The Vild) is, well, Wild. I love the vivid coloration when everything takes off. Yeah, the more I think about it each book in the series is tied together, yet completely different...