[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - First impressions of Neverness (and the rest of the series)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: First impressions of Neverness (and the rest of the series)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:12 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

Just finished The Wild, and am about to open War In Heaven...

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:23 am 

Just settling in to reading WIH, not going near the thread in case I stumble on a spoiler, but even now, quite early in the book, it's as though the tempo has been upped a notch. You almost feel a kind of dread waiting for whatever momentous event is just beyond the horizon; the scene was set perfectly at the end of the Wild and now you feel an urgency about the characters. Damn I'm glad I found this site!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, you most definately want to stay away from that War in Heaven thread until you finish the book! Tons of spoilers!

Yes, the tempo does increase - and the stakes, as you will learn, are very high. :shock:

It is a wonderfully written book, but parts were very difficult for me to read - very painful. :box:

And now I will shut up, so I do not spoil you! :mrblue:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 am 

Well I can deal with painful stuff if needs be. A great book doesn't always have to be fun filled1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 am 

Settling in nicely, but have found my first criticism!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 am 

Thank God the spoiler thingy worked!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:28 pm 
The Timekeeper

It is such a great series, isn't it? Believe it our not I've only read the books once, except for the first half of Neverness, and that was enough for me to make a site dedicated to the author. It's definately time to reread them all. It would be very freaky for me to do a group read-maybe-now all new converts go forth and bring more into the fold! Far far and well! :pilot:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 am 

I think a group read would be an excellent idea! It's not the easiest book to get a hold of, and help being at hand in a group discussion would be so rewarding. Just glanced at "The Lighstone" and see that Ea has entered the time of the Golden Band...wel I wonder if there's going to be any cross references here?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:01 pm 
Master Pilot

I've read Neverness twice, and the others only once. I rrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyy need to read them again. I remember lots of parts, but there's way too much in all that to remember from one reading. I wonder when I'll get to it. *sigh*

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image