[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Shanidar-Where it all began.

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shanidar-Where it all began.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:40 pm 
Pilot

I'm sure you all have bought the books so don't feel so bad about reading this one for free...
Enjoy <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:11 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Where it all began.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow!!! Thank you SO much General! What a scared gift you have bestowed upon the Hangar! I have always wanted to read Shanidar and never thought I'd have the chance! Welcome to the Hangar Pilot! (In fact I see a Master Pilotship for you in the very near future! !!!!!!) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 10:50 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:00 am 
Pilot

yeah i was stoked as, just stumbled upon it by accident looking for david zindell stuff on the net, bit like finding this place. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:38 pm 
Master Pilot

For those of you who don't know what Shanidar is, it's David Zindell's original short story, or novelette, that Neverness was based on. Brought to national attention by the likes of Harlan Ellison and Orson Scott Card and which can be found in Card's newer Sci-fi short story collection: Future on Ice... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 10:52 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thank you so much, General! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/24/03 10:35 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:36 am 
Master Pilot

Yeah, cool! I've been haunting used book stores for close to a decade in search of that particular "L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future" volume. It seems to be rather rare, for some reason. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:37 am 
Master Pilot

Fantastic and fitting beginning for the Neverness saga! Interesting, the Iraq connection with the name 'Shanidar'.

The cutter (narrator) leaves open, somewhat, the question of whether the young visitor was the genuine Shanidar. One thing that seems odd to me - the man's replacement legs seem kinda cheezy to be the work of the Agathanians. I mean they're mechanical, yet we know from Mallory's transformation on Agathange that the denizens of that world are extremely advanced biotechnicians. I would think integrating a pair of organic legs would be no problem for them.

Of course, since Shanidar was written before the Agathange chapter of Neverness, it's possible that Zindell just hadn't fully concieved their abilities yet. I always found that Agathange interlude to be one of the most mysterious and cryptic chapters in the Neverness saga. The Agathanians say strange and intriguing things to Mallory that I'm still pondering. <i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 12/31/03 5:53 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Shanidar-Where it all began.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:42 am 
Pilot

Ha ha... General Haig... I love Babylon...

Anyway, thanks for the link to this story. Just something interesting to note:

When the story of Goshevam is being told there is mention of an old Fravashi trader named "Yarkona"

Now in the EA cycle if you look on the map there is a country or realm called Yarkona, it sits next to Sakai where the red dragon himself dwells...

I think our Freind Dave likes to re use... or is there deeper purpose...

Anyway, thats all

Cam
www.fivestarprisoncell.com
www.extravirginmusic.com <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:12 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry cam Yarkona is a well known planet in the "Neverness" universe (they are reknowned for certain gems and make a wonderful firewine, btw... ) here is the actual quote you refer to: ...he found a Fravashi trader who was willing to take him to Yarkona; on Yarkona he shaved his head... But your Ea point is, still, well taken *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 10:55 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:53 pm 
Pilot

your right... I should have read it properly... It's still been re used.

Now a character in the Lord of LIes named Hannu has come along. Not a big character but still... <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:03 am 
Master Pilot

Again, if you haven't heard it from me before--I'm convinced that Zindell's "reusing" is being done on purpose. My theory is that Ea is one of the civilizaltions that Hanuman was "speed growing" in the chapter "Dolls" in The Broken God. Up to and through Black Jade, the third book in Ea, there's all sorts of talk about the "star people" and mergings with another universe via the Galadin and Elijin-all answerable, of course, to the Iledra. Prehaps, in the finale, Ea's magic and Neverness' hyperlinks will converge. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Would you believe I just read Shanidar for the first time??? It seems I prefer actual books, so never got to this, despite my love of all things Neverness. I guess I should have had someone print it for me. heh

Anyway, it was great to learn the name of yet another light ship: Infinite Sloop.

And it's joyous beyond words to be back among the Devaki, if only for a short while. I may have literally made an involuntary gasp when I read the last sentence of the story. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 am 
The Timekeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:05 am 
Pilot

For whatever reason, the link doesn't work for me. Anyone have suggestions on where else I can look?

I checked wikipiedia, google, and project gutenberg XD After those places, I don't have many resources to fall back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:13 pm 
The Timekeeper

They changed the link--I just put the new one in the 1st post and it's working!!! 8)