[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Need encouragement...Main Neverness discussion...

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: solid state entity?...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Just reading about the SSE showing Mallory some of Soli's ...history...thru the face of Tycho(?sp). Thats kind of a cool way to get background info on a character - a little twist on the old 'flashback' idea.

It sort of helps you make sense of Soli's actions so far....

especially the 'I' references.... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

Post subject: Re: solid state entity?...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:56 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:A good friend of mine once said that the greatest accomplishment man could make would be linking philosophy with mathematics.Hey Syl, ever read Hesse's Glass Bead Game? The Game is exactly that, except everything is linked! Math, philosophy, poetry, music... All of it! Extraordinary book!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Need encouragement...Main Neverness discussion...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:00 pm 
The Timekeeper

bump for UrTed :wolf:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:28 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Thanks, I'll read it when I'm done (a day or two from now).

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 pm 
Trouble-Maker

I haven't read any of this thread but it sounded like the place to post this. As some of you may have read on KW, I am having trouble really getting into Neverness. I like the storyline, the settings, various parts of the book but I am having a hard time liking the charactors. I think the only one I really may like is Katherine. Can I get some encouragment to keep going? Pretty please? :|

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm 
The Timekeeper

Where are you in the book? Still with the Devaki?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:51 pm 
Trouble-Maker

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:36 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Not a Bardo fan? Sacre-bleu!

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:01 am 
Trouble-Maker

I know. At this rate Danlo is going to revoke my already paid visitation trip to him in October. :( Basically I think Mallory is an obnoxious ass, Soli is a total dick, Justine is stupid and kind of pathetic, Bardo is obnoxious and a bit annoying, Mallory's mom was creepy and now she is just bleh, Shanidar is gross, Liam is an Ozzie Guillen, Yuri is ok, but uninteresting overall and Katherine is the one charactor I have any real liking for and even then it's weak at best. I love the world Zindell has created but not one single charactor strikes chords in me to any real degree. Then again I may just be weird. I LOVE Terisa from SRD's Mordant's Need series when many people who have read or tried to read that series HATE her and many have dropped the books because of a serious inability to like/relate/tolerate her. As far as details on Bardo...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 am 
The UnTitled

To be honest, I thought "The Broken God" was much better than Neverness. Neverness is just the prologue.

--A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

I thought that the Devlaki section was the toughest to read in the entire series. It is really gross, especially Shanidar. I hated that old sack of Grilli, to be honest. Zindell is a pretty sick fucker to come up with a lot of the stuff that goes on in those caves. It picks back up when they all get back to civilization. Just hammer through it, and don't forget to shower afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 pm 
Trouble-Maker

Ok. I'll trust you guys. But they better damn well get back to civilization soon. :x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Slightly spoilerish, but enjoy Katherine's weight-loss program. She totally figures out how to lose her baby weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:45 am 
Trouble-Maker

Well, I just read about what the devaki women did to Katherine.... son of a bitch... soon as I say I like ONE charactor..... jeez. :x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Yeah, I was freaking dying when I read that she was your favorite character. Whoops!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next