Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need encouragement...Main Neverness discussion...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:19 pm 
Pilot

I've been reading Neverness and having a hard time getting in to it. I've been waiting for the story to "grab" me...will it? I just finished the 6th chapter...

Please let me know if I just need to wait it out a bit longer or if the whole book is like this...
Lady Genni
"Life is a pure flame,
and we live by an invisible sun within us."
- Thomas Browne<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/23/03 4:04 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Need encouragement...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Welcome LG!! Oh yes it will! You are almost there! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:37 pm 
Pilot

Thanks Danlo...

They are just about ready to go on their Quest...

I am so wanting this series to be good. I haven't had a really good new read in soooo long.

Ok - I'm off to

Lady Genni
"Life is a pure flame,
- Thomas Browne<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:37 pm 
Master Pilot

The beginning of the quest is where it all begins! What you have read so far is background info and hints of plots and sub-plots yet to come. It's sort of like LFB or AGoT by Martin. As LFB really takes off when TC meets Foamy and AGoT finally takes off at The Hand's Tournament: once you leave the Solid State Entity and the Devaki begin to come into view you are really starting to map your hyperlinks in the Manifold! So to speak... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 11:06 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well. Ya'll will be glad to know that MY copy came in the mail today, so I'm glad that I ran into the good Lady's question! Now I'll know to hang in there if the beginning seems a bit slow.
Interestingly enough, I got the first and fourth books in the mail, no sign of books 2 and 3...
I think I'll wait to start until they ALL get here, because otherwise it'll drive me nuts waiting for them if it hooks me in the way I think it will.
Besides, I'm in the middle of the Lewis Space Trilogy right now, which I am enjoying.
Happy New Year, everyone!

Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:52 pm 
Master Pilot

It's almost a gender thing too...I think guys relate to Neverness right away---Mallory & Bardo's comraderie, the fight in the Master Pilot's Bar, lightships, the skating competition and transition to Pilots. When Mallory returns from the Solid State Entity it is all neatly summed as "The testosterone fever".. ...I'm not kidding though...Even though Mallory's meeting with the Entity describes some AWESOME new concepts, storywise: it doesn't make much sense at first, but it will! It's very important to understand how the Manifold works--and you are getting alot of the "mechanics" there. As soon as they head way out west to the Alaloi the character developement really gets cooking. Mallory is a very rough-edged character, who makes his share of mistakes--so it can be hard to like him at times.

Alot of women prefer A Requiem for Homo Sapiens for the brilliant poetic writting-style and ultra-sensitive Danlo, not to mention his tragic love story and horrible battle w/the twisted Anti-hero Hanuman li Tosh. However, it is essential to read Neverness first to understand the three "Requiem" books that follow.
I got into Neverness right away as I saw alot of Mallory's brashness in myself not to mention that my blood-brother Rodney is Bardo, my dad spent zillions of years away on business trips, and my mom acts exactly like Moira...(So I said OMG there's my disfunctional family right there, in a nut shell!! )

These books can move at paces we're not used to, but it becomes great when you get to understand the pacing. There is SO much new information being thrown at you in Neverness it can be hard to realize that a story is going on at the same time. Once you get used to all the new concepts, the new "state-of-the Universe", the huge, huge scope of what Zindell is doing and the eerieness of being flung so far into a bleak and twisted future...you'll be just fine. Then all the great philosophical discussions, intrigue and brand new eerienesses (is that a word?) all begin! It also helps to hang around "The Hangar", 'cause you can run into a few of DZ's terms and concepts being used fairly commonly, then they become old friends when you run into them in your ing...

I know how you feel LG, I was on the verge of tossing A Game of Thrones at page 130 but when I read 20 more pages, WHAM!!!
I got into TC right away, as well--It might just be a male-thing of IDing or clicking with an angry "hard to love" loner, right away... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 11:27 pm
</i>

Post subject: ranofwithgypsies' review via danlo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:47 pm 
Master Pilot

It is possible that rowg's assesment of Neverness is due do the fact that she grew up in the same "dysfunctional family" as I. But she is now totally into The Broken God and loved Neverness. She agrees that the Alalio portion made the book for her. So she advises me to tell you to hang in there and promises to post as soon as "strangelittlegirl" stops working on creating her "virtual world" ala--Hanuman li Tosh--and gets the heck of their comp!: And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/05 11:31 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Needing encouragement
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:07 pm 
Pilot

Well, it's good to know that I'm on the right road.

Danlo, I think you touched on something in regards to it being a bit of a male thing. I was thinking that one of the problems I was having was that I couldn't connect with any of the characters yet. I did do some reading of the posts to get more of a feel for the books. I've just been a bit leary because I didn't want to stumble across any spoilers.

Well off to

Love these...
and my fav

Lady Genni
"Life is a pure flame,
- Thomas Browne<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Needing encouragement
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:45 pm 
Pilot

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I just finished reading about the "Quest"...

I'm shocked, surprised, breathless...and just plain stunned!

(Where's the emoticon for being flattened by a steam roller?)

I never saw any of this coming. So now I'm completely hooked....

gotta go.... Lady Genni
"Life is a pure flame,
- Thomas Browne<i></i>

Post subject: LG recieves her Pilots' Wings!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:06 am 
Master Pilot

Kinda feels like this: don't it! Congratulations Pilot! ENJOY! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: Re: LG recieves her Pilots' Wings!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:26 am 
Lady Scryer

Darn it! I want the other two books to come, so I can start reading, too! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

Post subject: Re: LG recieves her Pilots' Wings!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:32 am 
Master Pilot

Wow that guy looks SO cool in the dark, like he really is in the Manifold!!! Hurry Duchess!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: that should be:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:26 am 
Lady Scryer

Hurry Amazon, Hurrrrrrry! <i></i>

Post subject: me 2, me 2!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:20 pm 
Pilot

I've been reading Neverness sluggishly for over 2 months. This week I've reached the quest to the Alaloi and things are starting to warm up.
So i'll take you guys/gals advice and hang in there.

-pitch
BTW, what happened to KW? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: me 2, me 2!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Vain told us that hackers got to it... Further up, and further in! <i></i>