Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who is Soli?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:02 pm 
Master Pilot

IMO, a VERY intriguing character. His temper is worse than his son's, which detracts from him a LOT. But still:
-He asks Mallory to go with him to track down the Timekeeper.
-More than anything, he wants to know how to make love last.
-He gives up his extended life to go off and live with the Devaki.
-In the end, he calls Mallory his son. *snif*

Very tragic character. More like Covenant than Mallory is. ______________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Who is Soli?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Soli's dad Alexander, I believe (don't have the book in front of me right now), was a very cruel and exacting man. Academically I might find Darkmoon an interesting place to visit for a month or so, but I definately wouldn't want to live there. Soli and the Timekeeper are rather similar in a way. One goes to great lenghts to explore very deep space and the future and the other high order and the mysteries of the ancients. Both very complex men.

Soli's "relativity" travel/time-loss dillema, especially where Justine is concerned, is rather heartbreaking-it reminds me of the Consul's story in Hyperion. But that's to be expected when you take your Pilot's vows--they do try to discourage you from personal relationships... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/29/05 7:28 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

(note the "finger" similarity 2 TC) @ Mallory in the Master Pilot's Bar "Hellfire! Don't touch me ya bastard!" And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:24 am 
Master Pilot

ok, I probly shouldn't be reading here, but this question has been in my mind - Who is Soli?- I'm slowly progressing thru Neverness, just to the point where Mallory is about to take off on his journey & who shows up??? Mr. Grump-a-lot his own bad self!!

He is a miserable SOB, and he really kind of irritates me in his treatment of Mallory, like he is either afraid Mallory is/will somehow better him, or that Mallory has stayed close to his mother, I don't know. Maybe (probly) I need to stay with him to see where it all leads, but he is grumpy!!! Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:41 pm 
Master Pilot

oops I really need to put a spoiler in my post above! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/29/05 7:29 am
</i>